PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Sticker

TXLIGHTNING
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Went to get a new inspection sticker today and they made me tear my tint off.:flaming: Said it was too dark. I tried more than one place and they all had the hand held meter. The meter was reading 60%. I tell ya its been a hell of a day. Set an appointment with the local window tinting shop to get it re tinted on Sat ($60). I will go with the legal tint this time. Just thought I would share this with you guys and gals.:flaming:

wesman
08-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Seems to be a roll of the dice......I've been lucky so far. THe L has 20% all around, the Viper has 5% :eek2::eek2:

--wes

TXLIGHTNING
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
The funny thing about it is my sister got pulled over by highway patrol last week in her 2004 Mustang GT and got a ticket for her tint. The officer cut an X in the tint of the drivers and pass windows after checking it with his meter. :Bullshit

99WhiteBeast
08-09-2006, 06:32 PM
I remember back in the early 80's:ron: a Smith County constable pulled me over. He provided a razor blade for me to scrape them off because he said they were illegal.

Wht95Lightning
08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
5 star ford refused to pass my L because they claimed the eyebrow tint on the windshield came down too far but it doesn't. (been on the truck since 95) Nobody else has ever given me a problem and I told the SA what he could do with his sticker.

Went back to my regular place and was rolling with a new sticker in 15 minutes.

TP Derrick D
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
5 star ford refused to pass my L because they claimed the eyebrow tint on the windshield came down too far but it doesn't. (been on the truck since 95) Nobody else has ever given me a problem and I told the SA what he could do with his sticker.

Went back to my regular place and was rolling with a new sticker in 15 minutes.
had the same problem on all my vehicles, don't know how far yours come down but if its beyond the little tick marks on both sides of the windshield its illegal. Thats been told to me by lawmen & tint shops. The tint shop willl put it on lower but let me know its illegal.

PoorSvtman
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
had the same problem on all my vehicles, don't know how far yours come down but if its beyond the little tick marks on both sides of the windshield its illegal. Thats been told to me by lawmen & tint shops. The tint shop willl put it on lower but let me know its illegal.

Thats the truth....

Also what sucks is there 2 different tint laws... 20% will pass state inspection but if the cop law book says its too dark, forgot the actual number. Forgot the number. I used to be a state inspector for a few years. I loved going to tint shops with friends and getting in a argument with them.. Then id just flash my S/I badge and theyed shut up.

But one thing you have to remeber is that some windows have a slight tint to them from the factory, putting 20% tint on it will make it darker....

I gotta find a place to inspect mine this year, first year i cant do it myself and my old work partner wont do it.

L8 APEX
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
I always go to a place I know to avoid hassles. Or roll the windows down and pull the fuse out. No law requiring power windows to work. The brow is suppose to be an inch above the AS1 line or 5" max I think... They have been cracking down on it. One of the guys at the shop got a tint ticket from red Oak police no vandalism though... Anal inspectors are gay:throw: . My tint has the DOT 35% sticker in it. I think the law is 35% min light transmission on the front side windows, no regs on the back or sides behind the driver. I have never been messed with for tint luckily..

PoorSvtman
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
the little visor on the front windshield can be all the way to the as1 line. No farther below it...

cops stand point 35 is legal on the front for state inspection 20 you will pass.. its dumb its two different percentages....:confused:

L8 APEX
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
You are right it can come to the AS1 line, I was correct on the 5" deal. I forgot about the reflectivity law. I hate reflective tint! Here is the black and white of it all.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/CIMG6627.JPG

TXLIGHTNING
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I always go to a place I know to avoid hassles. Or roll the windows down and pull the fuse out. No law requiring power windows to work. The brow is suppose to be an inch above the AS1 line or 5" max I think... They have been cracking down on it. One of the guys at the shop got a tint ticket from red Oak police no vandalism though... Anal inspectors are gay:throw: . My tint has the DOT 35% sticker in it. I think the law is 35% min light transmission on the front side windows, no regs on the back or sides behind the driver. I have never been messed with for tint luckily..That's a great idea Terry. Never thought about rolling the windows down and pulling the fuse. Its genius I tell ya.:tu:

98Cobra
08-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I always go to a place I know to avoid hassles. Or roll the windows down and pull the fuse out. No law requiring power windows to work. The brow is suppose to be an inch above the AS1 line or 5" max I think... They have been cracking down on it. One of the guys at the shop got a tint ticket from red Oak police no vandalism though... Anal inspectors are gay:throw: . My tint has the DOT 35% sticker in it. I think the law is 35% min light transmission on the front side windows, no regs on the back or sides behind the driver. I have never been messed with for tint luckily..

Yep, no law requiring you to have windows in your doors at all! So I just tell people to drop the windows, pull the fuse, and make sure the brow isnt below the AS1, and its all good.

MachineAddict
08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
same here...but I was ticketed before I had it inspected. got it re-tinted legal and had the ticket dismissed.

Last year 2 oil change places didn't want to do my inspection because of my taillights. The stock Lightning tail lights. I tried explaining to them and I even had a magazine that had 10 or so Lightnings in them all with the same tail lights and the guy said "it's probably just a common modification all you guys do". So then I said screw it and took it to a Ford dealership..........even that guy wouldn't believe that they were stock, non SVT dealer BTW. If you guys notice our tails do NOT have the legal "DOT" letters or whatever on them.....just Visteon (if I'm not mistaken owned by Ford and they still wouldn't believe me).

PoorSvtman
08-11-2006, 07:19 PM
actualy since you have a 00 they didnt come with the clear tail lights.. Visteon is a aftermarket company. (make alot of headlight,clear corners,etc.) The OEM lights do have a DOT on them if im not mistaken. As far as i now Visteon isnt owned by ford.. Cause they make stuff for all kinds of vehicles.. I used to work in a import performance shop and pretty much all of the clear corners and such had that name on them

MachineAddict
08-12-2006, 02:55 AM
yea you're right about my '00 not having the clear tails, but I bought the '01+ ones from a dealership and they didn't have the DOT.

I know own an '01 with the stock clear tails and they do not either.

I can't remember where I read that about Visteon..or I may have dreamt it, haha.

03LightningRocks
08-12-2006, 11:15 AM
My Lightning has tinting that would be iffy. I would crap if a police officer whipped out a knife and cut into my tinting. This doesn't even sound within the law. I do have a tendency towards putting my windows down if I roll up on a cop. I don't want to push my luck too much.

wesman
08-13-2006, 01:29 AM
My Lightning has tinting that would be iffy. I would crap if a police officer whipped out a knife and cut into my tinting. This doesn't even sound within the law. I do have a tendency towards putting my windows down if I roll up on a cop. I don't want to push my luck too much.

I'm with you Rocks.....that sounds like destruction of private property. I'd absolutely come unglued if a cop cut my tint or otherwise destroyed my property.

--wes

Tex Arcana
08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Or roll the windows down and pull the fuse out. No law requiring power windows to work.
:rll::rll::rll::rll: Best solution yet, and absolutely correct!! :rll:

PoorSvtman
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Or roll the windows down and pull the fuse out. No law requiring power windows to work. .

But the inspector can refuse to inspect your vehicle since they cant test the tint....

Tex Arcana
08-13-2006, 02:45 PM
But the inspector can refuse to inspect your vehicle since they cant test the tint....
AFAIK, you're not required to have windows, are you?? :confused:

PoorSvtman
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
AFAIK, you're not required to have windows, are you?? :confused:

No but if for anyreason the inspector believes there is a window and cant test the tint, he can refuse to inspect it