PDA

View Full Version : The price of gasoline

dboat
08-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Is it only here or are you guys seeing the same thing as me?

It used to be that there was Reg, Plus and Super gasoline levels.. the price difference used to be about 5 cents more per gallon for Plus over Regular and Super/Premium was another 5 cents more than Plus..

Well, it went to 10 more per level up from Reg.. Now, its at least 15 cents and with some it is 20 cents more per level:flaming: :mad:

That means I am paying 40 cents more per gallon on Premium than regular.. I dont think that is right.. I did happen across a station today on the other side of town that was only 20 cents more, but my tank was full, otherwise I would have stopped and saved myself 20 cents per gallon..

Dang, this really stinks
Dana

Sandman
08-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Around here the most I have seen is that premium is at most 20 cents/gallon more than regular.

dboat
08-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Around here the most I have seen is that premium is at most 20 cents/gallon more than regular.

Well that really chaps my ass.. :flaming: :flaming:

gbgary
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
yesterday i filled up at $3.05 (exxon)...regular was $2.85. you can still find regular in the desoto area for $2.77 ($2.97 for premium) at the valero/walmart type places.

L8 APEX
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
It has always been 10 cents between the grades around here. On rare occasions I have seen it vary a little. It is usually 2.89, 2.99, and 3.09 ie..

wesman
08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
It has always been 10 cents between the grades around here. On rare occasions I have seen it vary a little. It is usually 2.89, 2.99, and 3.09 ie..

I've seen the same.....always .10 between grades. THe station that I usually go to has Premium a little higher now, about .13-.14 above mid-grade:hammer:

QDRHRSE
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
[quote=L8 APEX]It has always been 10 cents between the grades around here.

Ditto.

TXLIGHTNING
08-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Here in Longview TX premium gas is $3.17gal :eek: :eek: . Its getting down right ridiculous.:hammer: When do you guys think it will level out?

TXLIGHTNING
08-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Here in Longview TX premium gas is $3.17gal :eek: :eek: . Its getting down right ridiculous.:hammer: When do you guys think it will level out?And at what price do you think it will level out at?

whitelightning'02
08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Here in Longview TX premium gas is $3.17gal :eek: :eek: . Its getting down right ridiculous.:hammer: When do you guys think it will level out?

Awwwwwww go west a little bit.... Lindale has 93 octane for 2.99 :tu:

I filled up today!:banana: :banana: :banana:

SIL02SVT
08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Man maybe it was like a mishaps but the otherday at kroger the regular and medium grader were 2.87 and 2.97 but the premium was 3.97 a dollar more that the other 2. beleive me i didn't stop there.

EDIT also what would happen to my truck if i ran regular in it but don't hot rod it at all just drive normal well not normal less than normal.

04SVTRACING
08-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Well to tell you the truth the gas prices will probably not level off anytime soon. I look to see them go up about .20 to .30 cents over the next couple of months because of that whole pipe line thing going on. I work at Costco in Arlington as the Gas Station Supervisor and rite now we aren't making anything on the fuel. Not even a penny we are actually losing money on the fuel. Rite now we are at $2.81 for regular and $3.01 for premium. Thats just my thoughts about the price leveling out.

Beaudee
08-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I heard over 4.00$ a gallon by the end of the year.:eek: Time to get the Harley.:nana2

TXLIGHTNING
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
:eek: :eek: :hammer:

SILVER2000SVT
08-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Just read in the news oil prices just dropped over $2 per barrel today. And gasoline futures went to the lowest they been since april. This is due to all the canceled flights and a Nigerian oil field that just opened up.

TXLIGHTNING
08-10-2006, 06:43 PM
The oil companies are screwing us plain and simple. I'm starting to believe that there will be a point soon that we will never see gas under $3 a gal.:flaming: I hope that im wrong.

sandpiperx
08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
No matter what fuel prices or fuel companies do right now. It will never get any better until we build more refineries here and open up to more exploration. WE need to get off our own butts and produce what we need. No matter who's in the white house we have been sold down the river by Washington for years. PERIOD.... life is still good! mp:tu:

QDRHRSE
08-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm 100% with you guys. In fact, we have an almost unlimited source of oil- 2 actually. There are 2 processes which have recently become financially feasable. Oil from shale can be produced for a little under $40 a barrel and oil from coal can be produced for even less but it makes a mess.

Here's the important question. Drilling and refining oil is a messy business, how close are you willing to let it get to where you live? The process pollutes and is not pleasant to be around. Are you willing to live relatively close to it? The fact of the matter is that some Americans will if we bring it all home. I agree with you guys but there's alot to it. It's like buying a new car but not having enough space in the driveway, garage, or in front of the house for it.

03LightningRocks
08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
snip......

EDIT also what would happen to my truck if i ran regular in it but don't hot rod it at all just drive normal well not normal less than normal.

You will detonate the crap out of the motor. To run regular unleaded, I would do two things. Take the belt off of the blower. Reduce the timing at least 2 degrees below the stock timing level. You will be driving a standard F150 with a Lightning body. Please don't race anyone while in this configuration. It will cause some asshat in a ricer to think he can take out Lightnings.

03LightningRocks
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
If we look at the price difference as a percentage, premium is a better bargain now than it was at 1.00 a gallon:D .

QDRHRSE
08-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Rocks said ass-hat! I love that word!!

WA 2 FST
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
If we look at the price difference as a percentage, premium is a better bargain now than it was at 1.00 a gallon:D .

Yep. That's what I've been saying for awhile now. The "delta" is less now than it was when gas was cheaper. :)

Nevertheless, its like a tax savings due to some sort of purchase... you're still paying for it. It's still coming out of my wallet, so there is some definite rationalization in my head going on in order to ease the pain. ;)

SIL02SVT
08-11-2006, 04:46 PM
You will detonate the crap out of the motor. To run regular unleaded, I would do two things. Take the belt off of the blower. Reduce the timing at least 2 degrees below the stock timing level. You will be driving a standard F150 with a Lightning body. Please don't race anyone while in this configuration. It will cause some asshat in a ricer to think he can take out Lightnings.

Well becuz i'm poor i've been running regular for about a month now and nothing has happened. and what does detonate the motor mean

TXLIGHTNING
08-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Ever hear the sound of loose change in your motor....that's detonation. Its a clattering sound, and its not good. Run premium.

wesman
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Well becuz i'm poor i've been running regular for about a month now and nothing has happened. and what does detonate the motor mean

You'll be a lot poorer when something does happen. The .20 per gallon will pale in comparison to the 5k+ that it will cost you to get the truck running again.

--wes

BC Lightning
08-11-2006, 08:09 PM

KA-BOOM :evil

Hope your saving that .20/gallon to buy a new motor :tu:

03LightningRocks
08-12-2006, 10:55 AM

It is happening, you just haven't been aware of it. The factory tuned these trucks to run premium unleaded. This is why they tell you to use premium fuel ONLY.
Your detonation may be mild at this point, but it is slowly eating away at your pistons, heads and valves. One of these times, you will step heavy on the gas and the detonation will cause a rod to ventilate your block.
Hopefully, you won't run all around acting like Ford sucks because they void your warranty for using the wrong gas.

SIL02SVT
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow guys i didn't know that the guy at the dealership said it would be ok to run regular in it as long as it wasn't pinging and as long as i didn't get on it. but from now on i'll take your guys advice and put premium in my truck thanks for the help i feel like a jackass and a dumbass

Thanks guyz

L-Fever
08-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow guys i didn't know that the guy at the dealership said it would be ok to run regular in it as long as it wasn't pinging and as long as i didn't get on it. but from now on i'll take your guys advice and put premium in my truck thanks for the help i feel like a jackass and a dumbass

Thanks guyz

:tu: 93 Octane!

WA 2 FST
08-12-2006, 02:34 PM
No reason to feel bad... but I would definitely trust the Lightning enthusiasts here over the guy at the dealership.

The L has no way to adjust timing down for bad gas. It does not have a knock sensor (which I blame Ford for not engineering one into the equation...but I know they have their reasons, primarily that the mod motors are so noisey that you would get "false knock" readings from the sensor on a constant basis), and once you actually hear audible detonation, it can often be too late (especially if the truck is modded).

To take a different example, you _can_ run unleaded plus (89) in GM's performance vehicles. The LSx motors have knock sensors, and are also naturally aspirated, so a little knock isn't nearly as detrimental as it is in a super/turbocharged application. But with the knock sensor, GM programmed a different ignition timing table, so that it can compensate for "bad gas" or a lower grade of fuel. Obviously the vehicle will not perform as well, but it will not explode, either.

Ford didn't do that... so bite the bullet, and make your payments at the pump, instead of to an engine builder. :)

whitelightning'02
08-12-2006, 02:55 PM
:tu: 93 Octane!

Or just stay home and drink the Crown....:beer:

03LightningRocks
08-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Like Wes said, don't feel bad. Feel real glad you found out before blowing the motor.

:tu:

L8 APEX
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
The Lightning does have a knock sensor installed, it sets in the block under the intake. The engineers have it turned off in the tune. Ford engineers said the blower produces too much noise/vibes to use the sensor effectively.

WA 2 FST
08-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Ok, well at least I got part of it right. ;) Ford doesn't use it, so I guess it might as well not be there.

Mark #2
08-12-2006, 10:30 PM
The Lightning does have a knock sensor installed, it sets in the block under the intake. The engineers have it turned off in the tune. Ford engineers said the blower produces too much noise/vibes to use the sensor effectively.
Ever thought about turning it on for a KB?

L8 APEX
08-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I think about it now and then but choose to follow the herd. In GM tuning we modify the sensitivity of the sensor in the tune to account for valvetrain noise due to large cams etc... Check out this thread not only does a 'tuner' say the knock sensor is turned off, but he also says you will experience kr when the PCM senses knock..... But how's that:confused: .
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/ford-lightning/how-much-boost-is-safe-without-a-chip-3333.html

WA 2 FST
08-12-2006, 10:42 PM
After reading that I'd say SFPH is full of crap. The ECM would have no clue and no ability to retard timing due to knock sensing if the knock sensor isn't functioning. And what is "premature detonation"?? He must mean pre-ignition (which is detonation). No such thing as "premature detonation". :rolleyes:

I will concur about the knock sensors being extra sensitive in GM apps, though. The slightest exhaust rattle will cause it to send false signals to the PCM, and you can visibly see the KR kick in when datalogging.

Someone just needs to develop a better quality knock sensor.

Mark #2
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I think about it now and then but choose to follow the herd. In GM tuning we modify the sensitivity of the sensor in the tune to account for valvetrain noise due to large cams etc... Check out this thread not only does a 'tuner' say the knock sensor is turned off, but he also says you will experience kr when the PCM senses knock..... But how's that:confused: .
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/ford-lightning/how-much-boost-is-safe-without-a-chip-3333.html

That someone doesn't know what he's talking about, like that is a big surprise on the Internet.;)

L8 APEX
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I see where to turn it on or off but no clear table for sensitvity or effect on timing. Maybe on a fresh day I can look around for it.