PDA

View Full Version : First round of questions.

charlie
08-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I just bought my 99 and was told a few things...

Like the tb was a acu-fab 90mm. I'm not sure about the MAF.

How can you tell by the #'s the MAF, or by looking at the TB?

Next set of questions.... Yes I did a search... and read so much I got confused.

How much boost will the stock bottom with 88k miles hold up to. And what size crank pulley will get me there. And If the heads have been ported like I was told, will that affect the boost #'s?

What tuner is more user friendly? SCT or predator? ( In-case I change pulleys)
I do not want to have to spend the money on a tune every time I make a change.

If this helps. the plan for now is 400 to 450 rwhp. I'm running on the assumption that a 4# pulley, plugs, and a good tune will do this.

Mods that I was told the truck has.
90MM tb
bolra exhaust (mufflers only)
boost by-pass
ported heads, and threads fixed. (how I don't know)
shift kit (mild)
Mobil 1 syn. and some purple stuff in the inner cooler tank and radiator over flow.

Speculation is ok. But would rather have facts. (some one that has done this same thing)

Oh and will my trans hold up to this?

Many thanks in advance to the Gen 2 gods :bows

Charlie

WA 2 FST
08-13-2006, 07:08 PM
4# pulley, plugs and tune will not get you 400-450rwhp. Mine made 393rwhp with 4#, plugs, cold air intake, and cat-back exhaust. However, my tune was _very aggressive_... probably too much so, although I never had any problems with it.

This simple config netted me 12.8 @ 109 on a "good air" day at a good track (Hallsville).

If the heads are ported, but you're running the stock exhaust (headers) then boost will probably not drop compared to if you had stock heads.

I think you can safely run 13-15psi with no issues, as long as the tune is conservative. If you're nervous about the 88k mile block, then do a compression or leak-down test first. You will probably need a 6# crank pulley (with stock upper pulley) to get you to this boost level. That is 9" in diameter. My opinion is that with the stock blower, you will see diminishing returns over a 4# lower pulley. The blower is just not efficient enough to support the higher rpms, and while boost will go up, you're just super-heating the intake air charge along with that.

The trans should hold up.

charlie
08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Who tuned yours? I would be very happy with 393rwhp. And 12.anything in the 1/4. Although I can not do this till I sell my 93"L" I figured I would do my home work now, so I don't get hosed later.

Thanks
Charlie

WA 2 FST
08-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Who tuned yours? I would be very happy with 393rwhp. And 12.anything in the 1/4. Although I can not do this till I sell my 93"L" I figured I would do my home work now, so I don't get hosed later.

Thanks
Charlie

It was a tune from Troyer Performance. It didn't give me any trouble, but when Terry uploaded the tune files from my SCT, he said it was pretty aggressive and lean. After pulling my plugs, I would concur. Again, it didn't give me any problems in 19k miles of driving with it, but a little less timing and a little more fuel would have been good. More than likely this would have put it in the 380-385rwhp range.

Also, understand that my track times were not run in the heat of the summer, but rather in December on a cool/dry day. :) However, had I been running slicks, it would have been in the 12.4-12.5 range for sure... not 12.8.

I would highly recommend you take your truck to Terry at Performance Research in Duncanville. Not only is he very experienced tuning these trucks, but that experience takes into account the severe duty conditions we have here in N. Texas (primarily the extreme heat in the summers). This is just another reason it is nice to have a summer and winter tune.

charlie
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Terry is Who I have decided to take it to.. I already e-mailed him and he give me a ball park figure that I can live with.

Charlie

charlie
08-14-2006, 09:36 AM
But the reason for the question... How can you tell what maf I have by the #'s on it? I may need to get a 90mm before I take it to him.

Charlie

99WhiteBeast
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
But the reason for the question... How can you tell what maf I have by the #'s on it? I may need to get a 90mm before I take it to him.

Charlie

80mm MAF Sensor part# XL3F-12B579-AA (AFH80-06B)
80mm MAF Housing part # PBT-GF40

If it is a 80mm you could also go with MAFIA to extend the volt range without having to change your CAI setup

BC Lightning
08-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Charlie

Anything and everything for these trucks he can get, just make a list and give him the $$ and you shall receive :tu:

charlie
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Anything and everything for these trucks he can get, just make a list and give him the $$ and you shall receive :tu:

Oh I have the list... the only problem is, the longer it takes to sell my 93 "L" the more I see I want, I'll soon have a list a mile long. Every time I do a search I find something I need ( er ah want :D ). And my G/F is steady giving me the evil eye, and telling me shes going to go get a new GT if I spend all this money on a truck I've had less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info 99WhiteBeast.... Well crap... it's an 80MM. Oh well. More money

Charlie