PDA

View Full Version : K5 Replacement

Mark #2
08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Well I think that this is it, very similar specs and size.
http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/features.html

Everything on the K5 works, but it's time for an upgrade.
Let me know if anyone wants it, as I will take it to a wholesaler versus trying to sell on my own.

L8 APEX
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I find this disturbing, you can't sell the K5! It has earned its place in the drive. The FJ is a compact car compared to the K5.. My buddy bought one when they first came out 3K over sticker for his. Does it qualify for 0%?

PoorSvtman
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
got any pics of the k5

SILVER2000SVT
08-14-2006, 07:19 PM
This is what I've been looking at for my next vehicle. It has pretty good reviews from the ones I've read. I really like the retro look, and it has a little functionality too. The only negative for me was it said the rear seat seemed a little overcrowded. But its' reasonably priced. 21K to 32K fully equipped, but I have yet to see one below a list price of $28.

Mark #2
08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
got any pics of the k5
This is it.

True Blue Aggie
08-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Wholy crap! The garage is gone?

j/k :d

tliss
08-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Don't do it! Find something cooler than that. This is almost as bad as Crawford getting a Honda Element....:nono:

Tom

Mark #2
08-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Wholy crap! The garage is gone?

j/k :d
The only pic I had, camera batteries are dead recharging now, but it needs a wash first.

Mark #2
08-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I went by Toyota of Richardson today and all they had was a Yellow one that was sold, so no test drive. Looks like the plan is to load up with $10K of extra stuff I don't want.

I like it, and it is the same size as the K5, wheel base and overall length within an inch. Can't say the same thing for an Element.

I will wait until availability changes and they aren't so proud of them.

I just love going to dealers, reinforces my opinion every time.;)

Everybody knows the routine, so no need repeating, it cracks me up, so I play along for a while just to make sure it hasn't changed in 20 years.:D

98Cobra
08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Yea, they are pretty proud of those FJ cruisers.

If you ever get serious about getting rid of the K5, call me :)

jeff56
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Shoot me a PM if you are interested in an FJ. I just bought a Tacoma a few months back and will give you the the info on my guy. I guarantee you that he'll give you the best price available, and right off the bat with no drama. I bought my Tacoma from him all over e-mail. Most amazingly simple car purchase I've ever made. I e-mailed, told him what I wanted, he responded with a quote way below MSRP, I said order it and then picked it up a few weeks later (came in on the boat).

I'll buy Toyotas for as long as he sells them.

Well, I went by Toyota of Richardson today and all they had was a Yellow one that was sold, so no test drive. Looks like the plan is to load up with $10K of extra stuff I don't want.

I like it, and it is the same size as the K5, wheel base and overall length within an inch. Can't say the same thing for an Element.

I will wait until availability changes and they aren't so proud of them.

I just love going to dealers, reinforces my opinion every time.;)

Everybody knows the routine, so no need repeating, it cracks me up, so I play along for a while just to make sure it hasn't changed in 20 years.:D

Mark #2
08-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Yea, they are pretty proud of those FJ cruisers.

If you ever get serious about getting rid of the K5, call me :)

I will, but the list for people wanting this thing keeps getting longer when I advertise that I am going to get rid of it, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, an 18 year old truck is cool. :confused:

Mark #2
08-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Shoot me a PM if you are interested in an FJ. I just bought a Tacoma a few months back and will give you the the info on my guy. I guarantee you that he'll give you the best price available, and right off the bat with no drama. I bought my Tacoma from him all over e-mail. Most amazingly simple car purchase I've ever made. I e-mailed, told him what I wanted, he responded with a quote way below MSRP, I said order it and then picked it up a few weeks later (came in on the boat).

I'll buy Toyotas for as long as he sells them.

Yes, I am interested, send me a PM on the guy, but I want to drive one first before committing to purchase.

Tex Arcana
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Well I think that this is it, very similar specs and size.
http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/features.html

Everything on the K5 works, but it's time for an upgrade.
Let me know if anyone wants it, as I will take it to a wholesaler versus trying to sell on my own.
You should be SHOT for posting that link... not only does it lead to some download, it freakin' resizes the ENTIRE BROWSER to what IT wants... :hammer:

On another note: the FJs are pretty cool, the only thing I don't liek about them is the roofline, but that's not terrifically bad. What motors come with it?

SILVER2000SVT
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
You should be SHOT for posting that link... not only does it lead to some download, it freakin' resizes the ENTIRE BROWSER to what IT wants... :hammer:

On another note: the FJs are pretty cool, the only thing I don't liek about them is the roofline, but that's not terrifically bad. What motors come with it?

I don't have that problem with the Browser and the download?

Silver_2000
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Easy Cowboy
It downloads a 360 media veiwer that you can easily say NO to ...
It resizes the broswer to fit the elements in the page - which is pretty common
And it make NO permanent changes to the browser size

LOL

Tex Arcana
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't have that problem with the Browser and the download?
I do'nt download stuff I have never heard of, or am not sure of (spyware, anyone?); and since I use FireFox with Tabs enabled, it wanted to resize the window (a-la Internet Exploder, which would open a new window for you and allow the resize), and ended up resizing the entire thing, which ticks me off to begin with because it interrupted what i was doing (reading the thread); resizes like that are just plain rude. :flaming:

Tex Arcana
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Easy Cowboy
It downloads a 360 media veiwer that you can easily say NO to ...
It resizes the broswer to fit the elements in the page - which is pretty common
And it make NO permanent changes to the browser size

LOL
Read my reply, and ti's still rude.

wesman
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
I do'nt download stuff I have never heard of, or am not sure of (spyware, anyone?); and since I use FireFox with Tabs enabled, it wanted to resize the window (a-la Internet Exploder, which would open a new window for you and allow the resize), and ended up resizing the entire thing, which ticks me off to begin with because it interrupted what i was doing (reading the thread); resizes like that are just plain rude. :flaming:

I use Firefox in tabs as well and it didn't do any of the things you decribed.

--wes

Silver_2000
08-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I use Firefox in tabs as well and it didn't do any of the things you decribed.

--wes

Me three

Mark #2
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
You should be SHOT for posting that link... . What motors come with it?

Open the link, that's why I posted it.

Tex Arcana
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Open the link, that's why I posted it.
Auto or manual, 2wd or 4wd?

Mark #2
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Auto or manual, 2wd or 4wd?

Auto 4WD, convenience package, upgrade number two, silver.

L-Fever
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I like this vehicle! :tu:

Silver_2000
08-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Auto 4WD, convenience package, upgrade number two, silver.Silver :tu: :tu: :D

SILVER2000SVT
08-16-2006, 02:28 PM
They all have white roofs. What's up with that, that's so stupid looking? If I get one I would probably get the roof painted to match. Of course it will probably help with heat in the Texas summer.

Mark #2
08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
They all have white roofs. What's up with that, that's so stupid looking? If I get one I would probably get the roof painted to match. Of course it will probably help with heat in the Texas summer.
I see this a design plus, I wasn't too keen on it at first either but K5s either had black or white for all colors so I decided it was okay.

Tex Arcana
08-17-2006, 02:51 PM
This harkens back to the original Land Cruiser they built, which had a white roof, which ostensibly is for heat gain control in the old days, before airconditioning and loads of insulation. I'm not a fan of *how* the lower line turned out, I think they should've gone with a line that was a little more traditional to the original design, but that won't stop it from selling well.

Logan
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
FJ = Cool. You hereby have my permission to replace your K5 with an FJ.

You're welcome.

:)

Sixpipes
08-17-2006, 06:33 PM
If you can get over the white roof, I think th FJ is one of the better values in it's class. I loved the old Toyota Landcruisers and the FJ kind of reminds me of that. :cool:

Mark #2
08-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Well now that I have both of the car god's approval I am now secure with my decision.;)
Issue is finding one without a roof rack, all the extended mileage pacakages A through E have them. I don't like the way it looks or the wind noise with them. I will probably place a special order and get exactly what I want.

Mark #2
01-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Guess I better hurry up and get one?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Enthusiast_Car_News/What_Becomes_a_Semi-Classic_Most.S1182.A11753.html

dboat
01-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Guess I better hurry up and get one?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Enthusiast_Car_News/What_Becomes_a_Semi-Classic_Most.S1182.A11753.html

I do like the way the FJ looks and it looked really nice at the Auto Show.. but I would agree with the author of the article in that the Acura NSX will become a classic car in the very near future.. way overpriced for the performance, but it was a really nice looking ride.. IIRC the engine mods for them were expensive, but they really could make that thing move and it was a smooth ride... I always kind of wanted one but just couldnt ever justify the $$$ for one.

Dana

Tex Arcana
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Well now that I have both of the car god's approval I am now secure with my decision.;)
Issue is finding one without a roof rack, all the extended mileage pacakages A through E have them. I don't like the way it looks or the wind noise with them. I will probably place a special order and get exactly what I want.

You ever get your FJ? Post pics.

Mark #2
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
You ever get your FJ? Post pics.

Nope availability is still very low, they are not willing to deal on them.
Used ones are still bringing sticker and above

dboat
01-29-2007, 09:21 PM

ouch:Bullshit

jeff56
01-31-2007, 08:37 AM

You talk to my Toyota guy? He doesn't jack around with dealer games....

Silver_2000
02-11-2007, 04:32 PM
marks new truck in action

http://www.svtgalleries.net/fj_cruiser.mpg

right click save as

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
marks new truck in action

try new link above

The page you requested /fj%20cruiser.mpg has moved, changed or doesn't exist

Silver_2000
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
try again

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 05:13 PM
try again
The page you requested /fj%20cruiser.mpg has moved, changed or doesn't exist

Silver_2000
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
The page you requested /fj%20cruiser.mpg has moved, changed or doesn't exist '

try my link not the broken one you quoted

Tex Arcana
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
downloading now, 35 minutes remaining :(

Silver_2000
02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
downloading now, 35 minutes remaining :(
Its only 30mb - I shrink it down from the first try which was 90

Its a small piece of the extreme 4x4 show - showing the FJ doing some 4 wheeling - they put a cool external cage on it

Tex Arcana
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Its only 30mb - I shrink it down from the first try which was 90

Its a small piece of the extreme 4x4 show - showing the FJ doing some 4 wheeling - they put a cool external cage on it

Whaddya want on a 128kbps ISDN connection?? :tongue: Tho, I'm seeing 118-124kbps at the moment, so it's not too bad, it's at 31% done/17minutes remaining.

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
'

try my link not the broken one you quoted
Link works, looks like the FJ is worthy, I am going to test drive a FJ soon and see if I like it, but it will need a lift and tires.;)
Jeff, I haven't talked to him yet, but will after the test drive.:tu:

Silver_2000
02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Link works, looks like the FJ is worthy, I am going to test drive a FJ soon and see if I like it, but it will need a lift and tires.;)
Jeff, I haven't talked to him yet, but will after the test drive.:tu:

the one in the video has lockers front and back and many other mods

dboat
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
There are a bunch of them up here at the Toyota dealership.. if that means anything to you.. at least you can find one..

I watched the whole build up over a few shows.. it was definitely different but interesting.. I kind of like that removable exoskeleton..

Dana

Ohmsby
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
:ron:one of my customers in the Valley has one traded his pimped out H2 for it I rode around with him the other day I give it a:tu:

Your not really going to get rid of the K5 are you?

L8 APEX
02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Dealer on I20 in Arlington has at least 20 of them on the lot, there is no shortage around here...

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 11:58 PM

I would regret it, just like the sweet 74 Chevy stepside I had, (replaced with the K5 to pull the boat), it is always about boats with you:D

Spend $30K on the K5 or an FJ?

Tex Arcana
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I would regret it, just like the sweet 74 Chevy stepside I had, (replaced with the K5 to pull the boat), it is always about boats with you:D

Spend $30K on the K5 or an FJ?

Depends: do you have a home-based business with which to write off the purchase of the FJ?

Mark #2
02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Depends: do you have a home-based business with which to write off the purchase of the FJ?
No

Tex Arcana
02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
No

Then you have to decide what will bring more personal value to you: plopping $30k into the K5, or plopping it into the FJ.

Now, if your wife has a home business, you *could* buy it under that name and get the writeoff.. :d

Silver_2000
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Then you have to decide what will bring more personal value to you: plopping $30k into the K5, or plopping it into the FJ.

Now, if your wife has a home business, you *could* buy it under that name and get the writeoff.. :d

Assuming your home business made about 150k a year and you could prove that the vehicle was use in the business 100% - MAYBE - in reality for 99.9% of the people its not worth the audit risk

Tex Arcana
02-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Assuming your home business made about 150k a year and you could prove that the vehicle was use in the business 100% - MAYBE - in reality for 99.9% of the people its not worth the audit risk

Well, we sucessfully wrote off the Mountaineer, for MOnica's home business that didn't net nearly that much. I do think it's all worth exploring, but you have to talk to a trusted CPA first. Mine told me, when we got the mariner, had we purchased it under the company name, it would have been a writeoff as well, but we just didn't think that far ahead. :(

Mark #2
03-13-2007, 03:53 PM
:ron:one of my customers in the Valley has one traded his pimped out H2 for it I rode around with him the other day I give it a:tu:

Well I test drove a FJ today, too small and kind of claustrophobic,A, B, C, D pillars are huge. Really nice but you just can't really see out of it.
Out of the running

bluesvt
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I vote $30k into the K5. Here is my uncles that put way less than $30k into and I love this thing.

Silver_2000
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, we sucessfully wrote off the Mountaineer, for MOnica's home business that didn't net nearly that much. I do think it's all worth exploring, but you have to talk to a trusted CPA first. Mine told me, when we got the mariner, had we purchased it under the company name, it would have been a writeoff as well, but we just didn't think that far ahead. :(

the IRS has NO concern for whos name its in ... Its about USE.... But Im beating a deaf horse...

Sixpipes
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
But Im beating a deaf horse...

Nice one...:rll: :rll: :rll: But if I was the deaf horse, I would just run away.:D

L8 APEX
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Well I test drove a FJ today, too small and kind of claustrophobic,A, B, C, D pillars are huge. Really nice but you just can't really see out of it.
Out of the running
I wondered what the hell you were thinking when you posted it was equivalent to the K5. That's crazy talk:d

Mark #2
03-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I wondered what the hell you were thinking when you posted it was equivalent to the K5. That's crazy talk:d

Wheelbase, track width, overall length are the same, but the inside is not.

Mark #2
03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Next test drive

tiffo60
03-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Next test drive

no, no, no

If you going to do it, do it righ:tu:

http://www.damox.com/cars/thumbs/Hummer/Hummer_H1_black.jpg

Mark #2
03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
no, no, no

If you going to do it, do it righ:tu:

http://www.damox.com/cars/thumbs/Hummer/Hummer_H1_black.jpg

Too pricey and not a good daily driver.

L8 APEX
03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
H2's suck balls. 10-12 mpg 4.10 gears poor vis, full time 4wd, poor cargo room.

Mark #2
03-16-2007, 07:14 PM
H2's suck balls. 10-12 mpg 4.10 gears poor vis, full time 4wd, poor cargo room.
Thanks for the input, didn't know that they were full time 4WD. That is just wrong IMHO. Just like some of the early K5s.

L8 APEX
03-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I am trying to think of a good replacement for the K5. Would you consider a Toyota pickup? The Tacoma has a good look and the 07 Tundra is the toughest 1/2 ton truck built. I don't like the mini doors on the extended cabs though.

Mark #2
03-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I am trying to think of a good replacement for the K5. Would you consider a Toyota pickup? The Tacoma has a good look and the 07 Tundra is the toughest 1/2 ton truck built. I don't like the mini doors on the extended cabs though.

I've been looking for a good replacement for the K5 for 5 years, tells you something about how good the K5 is, don't need another pickup.
07 Tahoe, next drive.

L8 APEX
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
The tahoes are over produced and depreciate like a rock, buy it cheap! How about a TrailblazerSS, efficient, fun, AWD etc. The K5 is a hard dog to replace with a 30-40K wiz bang ride... Might as well get you a 17K dolalr C5 vette and start your Vette pasion.

dboat
03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Mark,

I assume at this point you have decided against a total repop on the K5..

right?

Dana

L8 APEX
03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Anything new is just so diff from the K5. The dashes and interior are a lot tighter due to air bags and safety changes. There is no metal in the truck it is all colored plastic. The cost is also a factor, what is the return on the 30K+ dollar investment to upgrade? Thinner metals, indepenent front axles, plastic bumper covers. Unless it is for speed or a significant purpose I would save the money. You just can't replace a solid 20+ year old truck like the K5. Today's American made vehicles are 30% materials and 70% labor. There is no way to produce a good product with numbers like that.. I think Toyota and others are doing at least 50% materials in their vehicles.

dboat
03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Anything new is just so diff from the K5. The dashes and interior are a lot tighter due to air bags and safety changes. There is no metal in the truck it is all colored plastic. The cost is also a factor, what is the return on the 30K+ dollar investment to upgrade? Thinner metals, indepenent front axles, plastic bumper covers. Unless it is for speed or a significant purpose I would save the money. You just can't replace a solid 20+ year old truck like the K5. Today's American made vehicles are 30% materials and 70% labor. There is no way to produce a good product with numbers like that.. I think Toyota and others are doing at least 50% materials in their vehicles.

So you think he should do a repop too? just making sure..

Dana

Mark #2
03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Mark,

I assume at this point you have decided against a total repop on the K5..

right?

Dana

No.

I get new car envy about once a year in the spring when I see all the new stuff in the parking garage(after the profit sharing checks are distributed).

I go drive a few vehicles get back in the K5 and decide I like it better.
Probably old shoes or old sweatshirt syndrome. It fits, it's comfortable, etc.

Kind of interesting that I never drove the L before I bought it, just knew I wanted it. There hasn't been anything made since that I just thought I had to have.

Thanks for the comments L8.

Silver_2000
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
No.

I get new car envy about once a year in the spring when I see all the new stuff in the parking garage(after the profit sharing checks are distributed).

Kind of interesting that I never drove the L before I bought it, just knew I wanted it. There hasn't been anything made since that I just thought I had to have.
Funny

I think about getting another car every so often as well.. Then I realize im already driving the most reasonable priced most powerful most fun to drive thing I have found

L8 APEX
03-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Vehicles I bought without ever testing. I researched each item and never regretted it.
1) 01 Lightning back in the pay sticker and no joy rides days.
2) 06 Honda Rincon ATV it was the best one made as expected.
3) 96 CBR 900RR no joy riding superbikes either, loved it.
4) 05 F250, I located it on a lot in Houston via the internet and had it transferred to my local dealer. I went up and signed the papers sight unseen. Love it.

dboat
03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
No.

Thanks for the comments L8.

I was at the Outdoor Show in Cleveland today.. they had the new FJ there and the interior looked a little small.. but nice looking otherwise.

anyway, I was thinking that you might want to do a "Overhauling" kind of thing on it.. you know, new suspension, new paint, dynamat the bejeebers out of it,, new stereo, new front glass, maybe a new engine and tranny.. some new seats or redone seats.. new wheels, etc.. etc.. yep its bucks but you would have a new feeling truck with all new parts as well.

Dana

SILVER2000SVT
06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Figured I would bring up an old thread...

I went and test drove one of the FJ Cruisers yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. But it seems like a lot of money for a fancy Jeep. I was a little concerned about the wind blowing me around on the test drive, it seems to be a little worse than the POS Durango that I'm driving right now. It drove nice, I love the styling, inside and out. I really like the idea of not having carpet, I'm not sure why cars are expected to have carpeted floors.

I see the base price is around $23K for the 4x4 on Toyotas website but I haven't seen one on the lot for less than $30K?

Mark #2
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Figured I would bring up an old thread...

I went and test drove one of the FJ Cruisers yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. But it seems like a lot of money for a fancy Jeep. I was a little concerned about the wind blowing me around on the test drive, it seems to be a little worse than the POS Durango that I'm driving right now. It drove nice, I love the styling, inside and out. I really like the idea of not having carpet, I'm not sure why cars are expected to have carpeted floors.

I see the base price is around $23K for the 4x4 on Toyotas website but I haven't seen one on the lot for less than $30K?

Well since I started the thread, I will respond.

I like the styling inside and out too.
The visibility was what I didn't care for, just felt a little claustrophobic, but that is in comparison to the K5.

By the time you add some of the desired options to the FJ, it gets over $30K quickly.

The one I drove was used and loaded and they wouldn't go lower than $29K with my checkbook on the table during negotiations.

I am still wondering if I can get over the visibility issues.

Might go drive one again.

L8 APEX
06-28-2007, 06:17 PM
The lots around here have a ton of the IE blue ones..

Mark #2
10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/header.jpg
a special invitation >> smart USA would like to invite you to a "street smart" event! You’ve been waiting for the smart to arrive in the USA…
You’ve already made your reservation online for a 2008 fortwo…
The “street smart” 2007 smart USA Road Show is coming to your city…
Now it’s time to see your car up close and personal!
Please join us as we host a preview of the new 2008 smart fortwo for Dallas-area reservation holders. Enjoy this opportunity to speak with members of the smart USA team and learn more about this amazing vehicle. And don’t forget your driver’s license for an exciting test drive in the new smart fortwo. Please note, you must be 18 to drive and 14 to ride.
>> When:Thurday, October 18 >> Time:10:00am-5:30pm >> Where:Park Place Motorcars Dallas
6113 Lemmon Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209 >> RSVP:214-443-5268 or smartdrive2@parkplacetexas.com (smartdrive2@parkplacetexas.com)
*If responding via email, please provide the names of those in your party and a contact phone number.

If you are unable to attend, please join us at some of our other events around the Dallas area. Click here (http://www.smartusa.com/roadshow/smartontour.html) to see the full schedule of events in your area.
Thanks again for being part of this incredible brand. We look forward to seeing you at this “street smart” 2007 smart USA Road Show Reservation Holder event!
Sincerely,
The smart USA Team

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_01.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_02.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_03.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_05.jpg
this message was sent by
smart USA
2555 Telegraph Rd.
Bloomfield, MI 48302
1.800.smartUSA
www.smartusa.com (http://www.smartusa.com)
Respond to this email if you wish to unsubscribe.
© 2007 smart USA. All rights reserved.

I will drive the K5 to the event. :)
If anyone wants to go let me know and I will put you on my list.

dboat
10-07-2007, 06:43 AM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/header.jpg
a special invitation >> smart USA would like to invite you to a "street smart" event! You’ve been waiting for the smart to arrive in the USA…
You’ve already made your reservation online for a 2008 fortwo…
The “street smart” 2007 smart USA Road Show is coming to your city…
Now it’s time to see your car up close and personal!
Please join us as we host a preview of the new 2008 smart fortwo for Dallas-area reservation holders. Enjoy this opportunity to speak with members of the smart USA team and learn more about this amazing vehicle. And don’t forget your driver’s license for an exciting test drive in the new smart fortwo. Please note, you must be 18 to drive and 14 to ride.
>> When:Thurday, October 18 >> Time:10:00am-5:30pm >> Where:Park Place Motorcars Dallas
6113 Lemmon Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209 >> RSVP:214-443-5268 or smartdrive2@parkplacetexas.com (smartdrive2@parkplacetexas.com)
*If responding via email, please provide the names of those in your party and a contact phone number.

If you are unable to attend, please join us at some of our other events around the Dallas area. Click here (http://www.smartusa.com/roadshow/smartontour.html) to see the full schedule of events in your area.
Thanks again for being part of this incredible brand. We look forward to seeing you at this “street smart” 2007 smart USA Road Show Reservation Holder event!
Sincerely,
The smart USA Team

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_01.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_02.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_03.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1229/v187/images.carsdirect.com/newsletter/smart/08_05.jpg
this message was sent by
smart USA
2555 Telegraph Rd.
Bloomfield, MI 48302
1.800.smartUSA
www.smartusa.com (http://www.smartusa.com)
Respond to this email if you wish to unsubscribe.
© 2007 smart USA. All rights reserved.

I will drive the K5 to the event. :)
If anyone wants to go let me know and I will put you on my list.

Mark,
there are a couple of these in town here now.. just saw one last week on my way to work.. they are little.. I mean really little.. but I might be interested in one if I had a long commute.
Dana

Mark #2
11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Well nothing as exciting as a new Lexus, Caddy, or blower.
But the K5 is getting a new/upgraded TB.

I've been looking for a vacuum leak for a while, finally found it, the old throttle shaft has about a 1/4" of play in it.

Never knew the stock intake manifold is Al either, until today...

Now just have to find the two o-rings for the fuel lines tomorrow, there is always that one little part or two that stops you from finishing a job.:flaming:

L8 APEX
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
You can get the Orings at the dealer seperately or they come in the 10 dollar or so TBI rebuild kit at Orielly's.

Mark #2
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
You can get the Orings at the dealer seperately or they come in the 10 dollar or so TBI rebuild kit at Orielly's.

Orielly's didn't have the kit today and it is ~$40.
So off to the dealer tomorrow, but most of the parts for the K5 are no longer available there.

Mark #2
11-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Okay, $400 to get a new/upgraded TB.
Put it in and the truck won't start.

Spend ~20 hours trying to figure out why.

Couldn't find anything wrong, other than the injectors are not firing.
I must have shorted something and the computer is bad:confused:

So just to make sure, I put the old TB back in and the truck starts on the first turn of the key.:tu:

You got to love after market parts.:flaming:

Dealer doesn't sell a new TB anymore, not sure what to do now.

Silver_2000
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
That sucks ...

Mark #2
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
That sucks ...
Yes it did.

Going to a Holley ungrade.

http://www.holley.com/502-6.asp

Silver_2000
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes it did.

Going to a Holley ungrade.

http://www.holley.com/502-6.asp

I hope you are able to send the one you bought back...

Increased Torque and Horsepower up to 25%

sounds good

Mark #2
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I hope you are able to send the one you bought back...

sounds good

I am going to jam it down O'Reilly's throat tomorrow.:D

L8 APEX
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM
You can scavenge your old fuel parts and just use the rebuilt bores.

dboat
11-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Mark, the Holley sounds like a great alternative, although, has anyone ever read a bad advertisement? anyway, I have found that the aftermarket stuff way outperforms stock most of the time.. increased hp and tq is a good thing, although it will be interesting to see how it impacts your mpg... keep us abreast.

Dana

L8 APEX
11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I ran a TBI from Street Specialty or TPIS out in Cali. But I was just the TBI I had to use my own injectors on it. The Holley was a good unit as well I think they offered 2-3 different flow injectors. It has been 10-15 years... I remember seeing a drop on unit in Summit and Jegs.

Mark #2
12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Update...it was a vacuum leak on the back of the intake manifold not the TB.
Going to check out a new Jeep next.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/wrangler/models/sahara/index.html

L8 APEX
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Jeeps have traditionally had poor build quality and bad diffs and bearings. I would get a 4door Rubicon.

98Cobra
12-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey, if you like fixing things, a Chrysler product is the way to go :D

my2002lightning
12-12-2007, 12:13 AM
No problems with my '05 Liberty Limited daily-driver 2x4 purchased brand-new. 43,8xx on the clock now.

Just some A/C drip hose to drain off condensation wasn't installed properly and they fixed it no problem.

Ohmsby
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
you would look good in a new Escalade......

Sixpipes
12-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Two words...Generation One :icon_mrgreen:

tiffo60
12-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey, if you like fixing things, a Chrysler product is the way to go :D

I concur:cool:

gbgary
12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Update...it was a vacuum leak on the back of the intake manifold not the TB.
Going to check out a new Jeep next.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/wrangler/models/sahara/index.html

i like the rubicon wrangler unlimited.

dboat
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
To replace the K5?

hmmmm, let me think about this one for a while.. do you have monetary limits on this?

Dana

L8 APEX
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Don't listen to Dana, you'll end up in a Cobalt SS:tex

dboat
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
:rll::rll::rll:
Don't listen to Dana, you'll end up in a Cobalt SS:tex

I am thinking a Benz G500, AMG version of course:tu::tu:

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=G55

Dana

danielvalles1
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
:rll::rll::rll:

I am thinking a Benz G500, AMG version of course:tu::tu:

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=G55

Dana
I saw some guy driving one the other day looks kinda cool. And supercharged thats awesome.

L8 APEX
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I think his budget is in the 30's. From what I remember he doesn't want another truck and hasn't seen a car good enough. I wonder how much the Challenger will be? Since he only drives 5 miles a day it isn't a high priority I would just save and funds...

Beaudee
12-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I think his budget is in the 30's. From what I remember he doesn't want another truck and hasn't seen a car good enough. I wonder how much the Challenger will be? Since he only drives 5 miles a day it isn't a high priority I would just save and funds...

I'm holdin out for the Challenger,GTO is gone next year.Maybee a Vet.

Mark #2
12-12-2007, 10:03 PM

NOT
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Auto_News/New_Challenger_Photos_Hit_the_Web.S173.A13693.html

Really wished Ford would have built the new Bronco.
http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2004-Ford-Bronco-Concept.htm

I am waiting for this one now.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_and_Concept_Cars/Concept_Cars/2008_HUMMER_HX_Concept.S283.A13735.html

danielvalles1
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Those Hummers look kinda funny.

L8 APEX
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Is that the H4? Sounds like you'll be saving funds in the meantime...

Mark #2
12-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Is that the H4? Sounds like you'll be saving funds in the meantime...
Yes and Yes.

dboat
12-13-2007, 07:52 AM
NOT
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Auto_News/New_Challenger_Photos_Hit_the_Web.S173.A13693.html

Really wished Ford would have built the new Bronco.
http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2004-Ford-Bronco-Concept.htm

I am waiting for this one now.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_and_Concept_Cars/Concept_Cars/2008_HUMMER_HX_Concept.S283.A13735.html

Mark, the G500 and the Bronco have similar looks.. come on, sprig a little cash for the AMG Benz.. you cant take it with you. :evil

danielvalles1
12-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I kinda like the Challenger looks like a nice car.

Mark #2
12-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Nm

L8 APEX
12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
That is a nice little vehicle:tu:

Mark #2
12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Nm

L8 APEX
12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
It has 600 miles I bet the Carfax will be blank except for title work.

BC Lightning
12-17-2007, 11:29 PM
It has 600 miles I bet the Carfax will be blank except for title work.

My girlfriend went two weeks ago to get a "new" 2007 Mercedes with 200 miles, had a wreck reported on Carfax

Mark #2
12-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Drove a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon today.

HP/TQ, specs don't match seat of the pants, matted it to get on the highway and it didn't go anywhere.

Handling/ride, the K5 is much better.
Interior, just horrible, plastic looks like old TV cases.

Fit and finish, non-existent, more like a big erector set, everything comes apart/off and it shows. Every seam rattles and leaks air at 40 MPH, water leaked onto my head from the removable hard top during the test drive.

$32K.......not from me.

I compare the K5 routinely to the L and the TL and think it is not that great, but when compared to any similar 4x4 of today, the 20 year old is still winning.

Hoping Santa will bring some things for the K5 this year...;)

dboat
12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Drove a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon today.

HP/TQ, specs don't match seat of the pants, matted it to get on the highway and it didn't go anywhere.

Handling/ride, the K5 is much better.
Interior, just horrible, plastic looks like old TV cases.

Fit and finish, non-existent, more like a big erector set, everything comes apart/off and it shows. Every seam rattles and leaks air at 40 MPH, water leaked onto my head from the removable hard top during the test drive.

$32K.......not from me.

I compare the K5 routinely to the L and the TL and think it is not that great, but when compared to any similar 4x4 of today, the 20 year old is still winning.

Hoping Santa will bring some things for the K5 this year...;)

Mark, face it, you love that thing.. you arent going to be happy with much else,.. and I can see why..

I believe I posted once, a long time ago, that you should do an "Overhaulin'" type of resto to the thing.. get all the new fandangled parts ready and take it apart.. have it completely repainted, dynomatted, have the frame powerblasted (or whatever that is) then powdercoated, new trim, new suspension.. rebuild the engine for just the power you want, didnt you just upgrade to efi? upgrade the brakes, sound system, etc etc etc and then drive it for another 20 years.. then it will be a classic and worth a ton of money.. IMHO..

Dana

Mark #2
12-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Mark, face it, you love that thing.. you arent going to be happy with much else,.. and I can see why..

I believe I posted once, a long time ago, that you should do an "Overhaulin'" type of resto to the thing.. get all the new fandangled parts ready and take it apart.. have it completely repainted, dynomatted, have the frame powerblasted (or whatever that is) then powdercoated, new trim, new suspension.. rebuild the engine for just the power you want, didnt you just upgrade to efi? upgrade the brakes, sound system, etc etc etc and then drive it for another 20 years.. then it will be a classic and worth a ton of money.. IMHO..

Dana
New TBI didn't work, sent it back.

Stock radio quit last week, thought it was time for a new vehicle, decided on a new radio.

dboat
12-20-2007, 08:51 PM
New TBI didn't work, sent it back.

Stock radio quit last week, thought it was time for a new vehicle, decided on a new radio.

I appreciate the effort but frankly, its like putting your pinkie toe in Lake Erie.. C'mon, you have got to get this thing going.. get a new engine with tpi, not some lame tbi... maybe slap a low psi blower on it too (6-8 lbs).. then take the body off of the frame, get it stripped and repainted, dynomat, new suspension, new wheels , etc etc.. you know you want to... :icon_mrgreen:

Dana

Mark #2
12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I appreciate the effort but frankly, its like putting your pinkie toe in Lake Erie.. C'mon, you have got to get this thing going.. get a new engine with tpi, not some lame tbi... maybe slap a low psi blower on it too (6-8 lbs).. then take the body off of the frame, get it stripped and repainted, dynomat, new suspension, new wheels , etc etc.. you know you want to... :icon_mrgreen:

Dana
Leaving it stock

dboat
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Leaving it stock

:(:(:(

so sad to hear that.. but I can understand why...

Dana

Mark #2
05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
>> smart fortwo safety results announcedDear smart Enthusiast,
This week the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) released its results of the smart fortwo frontal and side crash tests.
We are pleased to announce the smart fortwo achieved the highest ratings for front and side crashworthiness. This is "big" news for our fantastic "little car. The IIHS evaluations and video of the crash testing can be found on their website – www.iihs.org (http://resp.internetbrands1.com/cd40/c2.php?ATMT/2751855/3309/H/N/V/http://www.iihs.org). We encourage to you view the site.
If you have any additional questions regarding the safety management system of the smart fortwo or any of the latest crash tests results please contact your nearest smart center dealership or smart USA at 1.800.smart.USA (762.7887).
Kind regards,
The smart USA Team

tiffo60
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
looks like the airbag did a real good job of keeping his head from smashing into the steering wheel:rolleyes:

http://www.iihs.org/video.aspx?f=releases/pr051408