PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell Owners

Beaudee
08-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I have been thinking of going the KB route for my L.I have a few questions.Which sc are you all using 2.6 or 2.3.Does it come all chromed out like here http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/lighting54/lighting54_26L.htm or is this an option.Noticed fuel and spark boxes,are these needed.What can you get for your stock eaton if you decided to sell it.Will the lower crank #4 pulley work on the kb or are special pulleys needed.Thanks

WA 2 FST
08-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Beau,

Mine's the 2.3L. It's good way behind my current power level. It is not polished, but rather the standard satin/cast finish. Your lower 4# pulley will work fine with the KB.

I did not go with boost-a-spark or boost-a-pump options. However, my research shows that once you're ~450rwhp, going with larger injectors, new MAF, and larger fuel pumps is a wise move. The boost-a-pump can work, but it's also a bit of a gimmick. It spikes voltage to the fuel pump, therefore increasing its output, but you also know this is heating up that pump a lot which will eventually shorten its life. It's also heating up the fuel its pushing as well.

I've got my own opinions about "bigger is better" when it comes to these compressors (whether they be positive-displacement, centrifugal blowers or turbos). I think you need to consider your goals before choosing the size of the compressor. In short, a bigger compressor may flow more volume when its spinning fast (top of the rev-range, or pullied aggressively or both), but it may spool up a bit slower (takes more power to drive) than a smaller compressor.

Lyfisin
08-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Using the 2.3 and it comes in sort of a greyish green color. I don't know if you can order it chromed. KB asked me when I ordered it what size pulley I wanted so you're not limited to any specific one. At least that was my experience. I'm too lazy to try and figure out what you meant by plugs and fuel, but Terry recommended new plugs and I got NGK TR6 and didn't do anything with my fuel. I wasn't trying to get the MAX out of my KB though and if I had gone much higher I would have been looking at MAF, fuel pump and injectors.

I didn't sell my stock blower and I used the #4 pulley I already had on my L.

WA 2 FST
08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
You can get the blower polished... but I've heard this retains more heat than the regular satin finish (this is hearsay, I have no data to back this up). It's ~$400 more, though.

Lyfisin
08-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Oh, that's what you meant by spark and fuel. Well, I said I was lazy. :tongue:

Beaudee
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Has anyone here gone with the 2.6 on a stock motor?I have always been a bigger is better guy :rll: .My goal for the L. is to make it wicked without blowing the stock motor.The 2.6 is suited for the stock motor and is more efficient,of course with a tune but i was wondering why most went with the 2.3.Cost?I see it is a 1000 bucks more.

StormShadow
08-26-2006, 05:59 PM
2.3 is more than enough to blow your motor up. Most go with the 2.3 because it is cheaper plus we have watched guys run 10's with this blower (built motor ported heads etc) for a few years now. If it's good enough for the guys with built motors and ported heads it should be enough for the power you want out of your stock block. With a stock block most shoot for about a 450rwhp goal (point at which most agree are the limits of a stock block). You can get there with an eaton and tons of boost which builds heat which in turn brings detonation. You can go with a ported blower and a little less bost and a little less heat or the KB wich has less boost and less heat. If you want to spend an extra grand then get your fuel pumps, SCT MAF, and fuel injectors upgraded.

L8 APEX
08-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Has anyone here gone with the 2.6 on a stock motor?I have always been a bigger is better guy :rll: .My goal for the L. is to make it wicked without blowing the stock motor.The 2.6 is suited for the stock motor and is more efficient,of course with a tune but i was wondering why most went with the 2.3.Cost?I see it is a 1000 bucks more.
The 2.6 is new as of a few days ago if he is even shipping them yet.. 2.3 has been out for 4-5 years anyway.

Beaudee
08-26-2006, 07:48 PM
The 2.6 is new as of a few days ago if he is even shipping them yet.. 2.3 has been out for 4-5 years anyway.
Ahhhh O.K. I wont be ready for a bit longer yet anyway.:tu:

ThunderBolt
08-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Here's a shot of the 2.3 right out of the box. A 4# lower and 3.25 upper should produce
13#'s of boost. 3.0 upper with 4# lower should put you roughly at 15.5#'s. I would imagine
you could run lower boost with the 2.6 and make serious power.

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/albums/Ronsalbum1/HPIM1116.sized.jpg

FRDRCING
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM

A guy by the name of Dante out in california has all ready got them in shop and instlled one on a 00. So that is news to me, I thought JL was still testing the one he had.

BC Lightning
08-27-2006, 12:00 PM
A guy by the name of Dante out in california has all ready got them in shop and instlled one on a 00. So that is news to me, I thought JL was still testing the one he had.

Yup read on SVTperformance where hes has been testing the 2.6 for quite awhile now

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314749
Link to a guy that just picked his up from Dante

QDRHRSE
08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
In case you guys are interested his shop is called DMP. Dantes Modular Performance. He's pricey. He does however have a pile of 2.6's on hand. It's all the talk of the SOCAL Lightning boys.