PDA

View Full Version : Got slicks but cant use em.

02SVTKID
09-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Aight guys well i bought adams slicks from him and now i need to get some Tbars before i can use them. Now if i go with lakewoods and i know that they are not the best ones to go with are they still goin to get the job done is what i want to know. Because 350 for some 58 inchers im goin to have to wait till prolly christmas time when i can work more hours. But if the lakewoods will get the job done preventing wheel hop and axle wrap then why not go with them. Thanks

dboat
09-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Aight guys well i bought adams slicks from him and now i need to get some Tbars before i can use them. Now if i go with lakewoods and i know that they are not the best ones to go with are they still goin to get the job done is what i want to know. Because 350 for some 58 inchers im goin to have to wait till prolly christmas time when i can work more hours. But if the lakewoods will get the job done preventing wheel hop and axle wrap then why not go with them. Thanks

Are you considering Metco lowers? I got some from Terry and they are really nice.
Dana

PoorSvtman
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
yea but the metcos still arent that cheap, and the lakewoods are around 100 bucks

dboat
09-03-2006, 11:52 AM
yea but the metcos still arent that cheap, and the lakewoods are around 100 bucks

Sorry, I should have been more complete in my answer..

I researched the traction bar issue for a long time before I made a final decision.. I reviewed and read threads at different sites, etc.. I was leaning towards the lakewoods for the same reason but then changed my mind.. I guess I felt that I would do better with the Metco's even though they cost more. I prefer to spend the money once and thought that in the long haul I would end up coming back to the Metco's later on.. rather than spend some now and then more later..

just my thoughts..

Dana

Mark #2
09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Slappers are fine, used them for years with no issues.

lowered99lightning
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Looking for 2 guys that aproached me last night at the end of the pinks all out races in Ennis. I was in my black 99 lightning with the 2-4 drop an ram air hood, I was wanting 2 get some more info about the club an hopefully joining it.

dboat
09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Slappers are fine, used them for years with no issues.

Well, there ya go...

Mark, are you running slappers now?

Mark #2
09-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, there ya go...

Mark, are you running slappers now?

No, but they are good low cost option.

The prototype Metco lowers were installed in the WWFB garage on Sixpipes truck.
That was fun, this first set wasn't quite a bolt in, we had to do some fab work as they were being installed on a Roush suspension.

Metco lowers are in my truck now, on a Roush suspension.

Slappers are okay.

PoorSvtman
09-03-2006, 05:07 PM
I had slappers for awhile but hated the ride. I even took the snubbers off and still was a firm ride i couldnt take. They work good when set up right tho. I just dont like the fact your axle actualy twists in order for them to "slap"...

PUMP
09-03-2006, 06:49 PM

I have a pair of Lakewood-type trac bars that you can use until you can afford to get something else. I used them for about a year before I got the LFP 58" bars. The were made from the dimensions shown in the attached. They only fit a stock suspension.

02SVTKID
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Mike i agree with ya on the fact about the axle twists inorder to slap, but at the time i dont think im makin the power to really need the 58in one ya think? Now as i continue modding i will upgrade, but for this fall into winter i wanna use the slicks so im prolly goin with the lakewoods.

dboat
09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
I recognize that $$ is a major consideration.. but if you can afford to do it with Metco's or the LFP's once, you are set for as long as you have the truck. No more $$ spent on an upgrade.. I will say that I didnt understand the difference until I put the Metco's on mine.. big difference for me..
just my .02
Dana

L8 APEX
09-04-2006, 11:29 AM
The reason Lakewoods/Trucktracks ride like crap is the way they clamp on the leaf springs. They clamp down before and after the axle so the spring pack can't flex to give a soft ride.

PoorSvtman
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
The reason Lakewoods/Trucktracks ride like crap is the way they clamp on the leaf springs. They clamp down before and after the axle so the spring pack can't flex to give a soft ride.

Exactly.... thats why tifton has mine now couldnt stand the ride

BC Lightning
09-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Mike i agree with ya on the fact about the axle twists inorder to slap, but at the time i dont think im makin the power to really need the 58in one ya think? Now as i continue modding i will upgrade, but for this fall into winter i wanna use the slicks so im prolly goin with the lakewoods.

Just save alittle more $$ and get the metcos, I have them and love them, Its still a couple months from being cool outside so no need to rush, I'd just wait and get the best ones later, or you could be like Bobby and run without traction bars

02SVTKID
09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey terry how much for some metcos?

BigBobsL
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
You can run as quick as ~12.2 with slappers. if going quicker, you will need to add adjustable shocks. Have run 11.5-11.6 with slappers and 1.60 60's. To help ride, be sure rear clamp is right at the axle mount so you have least affect on rear spring rate. You want to have 1-1.5" clearance between snubber a spring wth truck on the ground, normally loaded. The other types of bars will give better street ride, but I have gotten best launch with the slappers.

CJLightning04
09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
hey svtkid i remember you from when terry tuned my truck and i think we have about the same set up as far as power. I run M/T et's slicks with the lakewood traction bars and i haven't had a problem yet. I also put a driveshaft safety loop on it just in case. So far i haven't had any problems except for it hooking too well and spinning the tire on the rim and wripping the tube. I don't think you need anymore than the lakewoods. Plus they are only like $100 so you can upgrade later.

L8 APEX
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey terry how much for some metcos?

439 plus shipping the last sets I have done.