PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a puppy

StormShadow
10-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm looking at a Boxer pup to buy. Anything that I should look for/ask about? It is a white male with blue eyes about 5 1/2 weeks old. I have never bought a dog before so I'm just looking for some advise on what to look for.

http://www.boxerpuppydogs.com/images/group.jpg

http://www.boxerpuppydogs.com/images/sm6-060823.jpg

Aggie Mom
10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd be real careful if you are thinking about buying the white one. My friend got one and it had all kinds of health problems and she finally passed away at less than 1 year old. The vet said it was something about a recessive gene in white boxers. Whatever that means. He ended up buying a brindle one and has been very happy with her. No health problems. Whichever one you get make sure the tail is already docked. Are you going to crop the ears? Good luck.

StormShadow
10-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd be real careful if you are thinking about buying the white one. My friend got one and it had all kinds of health problems and she finally passed away at less than 1 year old. The vet said it was something about a recessive gene in white boxers. Whatever that means. He ended up buying a brindle one and has been very happy with her. No health problems. Whichever one you get make sure the tail is already docked. Are you going to crop the ears? Good luck.

I am not going to crop the ears and the tails have already been docked. I didn't know that about white ones. I will call a vet and ask more about the white boxers having health problems. Thanks for the info.

jcblack
10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I am not going to crop the ears and the tails have already been docked. I didn't know that about white ones. I will call a vet and ask more about the white boxers having health problems. Thanks for the info.

Why not do the ears? Is it because people mistake them for pits sometimes?

StormShadow
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM

No not really Jake. I just like the way they look with their ears left alone better than when they are cut.

Tex Arcana
10-01-2006, 05:58 PM

No, it's because some people think it's cruel, when in fact stand-up ears are the way nature intended it--ears sagging is actually a result of the breeding/inbreeding done to get other "desirable" traits.

Tex Arcana
10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Adam, do a little Googling on this, there's a bunch of forums and pages that will help you decide.

I grew up with boxers, my parents were breeders, and they are excellent dogs. I, personally, prefer cropping both the ears and tail, because of what I said in the previous post, and becasue I think stand-up ears look better.

Another key to look out for are the puppy mills: they inbreed ALOT to crank out as many dogs as they can, and a large majority of them have health problems. Steer way away from them, and go to the reputable ones--they're expensive, but worth it for the health and longevity of the dog.

If the cost of a reputable dog is too high, consider adopting one thru the rescue network. The reputable breeders will put in clauses in the contracts they make buyers sign, saying the owners will return to dogs to the breeder if they cannot keep it, and the breeders will find good homes for them. That way, you can get one for free or for not much money, that might already be housebroken. We got our pug this way, and she's an absolute sweetie.

Good luck.

Silver_2000
10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
My recommendation is to stay away from pure breds and stay away from buying dogs in general.

There are TONS of shelters and organizations that rescue dogs, you can get a happy healthy dog and you start out the realtionship with a BIG plus because you saved the dogs life.

There is a ton of research and evidence that the inbreeding required to develop and sustain the breeds has resulted in VERY undesirable traits from cancers and skeletal problems to behavior problems.

In my opinion all dog breeders are evil. They are profiting from contributing to the over population of dogs. Recently saw an ironic note on a breeders website - it said to spay and neuter all dogs. Seems a bit self serving to tell your customers to do something you arent doing. Well it keeps the competition down..

RANT OFF

SVTJoseCuervo
10-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Good Luck ;)

German Shepperds are the best tho :tu:

BC Lightning
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Most albino dogs do have a recessive gene which makes them more prone to more diseases, cancers, etc.

Adam,
My dad said that he has seen this recessive gene before and in SOME cases people have bought more problems than they are worth, however he has seen some live along time, he told me that it will be less of a chance from a reputable breeder with papers and shot records, HOWEVER like AggieMom said, you could get the one that does get the one who dies really soon, just letting you know what you might be getting into, I really do like the all white/albino dogs, but they do have higher health risks

I personally like the floppy ears on Boxers, and have my experience of seeing dogs with clipped ears as my dad has clipped thousands of boxers ears

03LightningRocks
10-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I also like the floppy ears better. Cool looking dogs :tu: .

StormShadow
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Mike I didn't think he was albino because he has colored eyes. Is the trouble with white dogs or albino dogs?

BC Lightning
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Mike I didn't think he was albino because he has colored eyes. Is the trouble with white dogs or albino dogs?

I just showed the pics of the white dog to my dad, he said that because of the color of the eyes, and spot on the nose it isn't an albino dog

Adam I'm sending you a pm

Wht95Lightning
10-02-2006, 07:19 AM
There are TONS of shelters and organizations that rescue dogs, you can get a happy healthy dog and you start out the realtionship with a BIG plus because you saved the dogs life.

Amen Doug.. We got our Collie from Tarrant Co. Animal control and he's the best dog we've ever had.
I believe the dogs know that you're saving them from death row when you get them from the county and it makes them even better pets. :tu:

L-Fever
10-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Amen Doug.. We got our Collie from Tarrant Co. Animal control and he's the best dog we've ever had.
I believe the dogs know that you're saving them from death row when you get them from the county and it makes them even better pets. :tu:

+1:tu:

tiffo60
10-02-2006, 08:32 AM

my sister just adopted a dog from the pound and its awsome, i kept a pup from one of my healers litters and its worthless:hammer:

RSVT
10-02-2006, 08:46 AM
i have three boxers and they are great i got 2 female,1 male, use have an all white w/brindle patch around his eye and somebody stole it, keep it man they are great friends and guard dogs

SILVER2000SVT
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Last Thursday I was walking around the neighborhood and what looked to be a 10week old female boxer puppy came up to me and my dog. It was on one of the new streets without any houses yet, and the closest houses on the next street over are still unsold. I'm guessing somebody threw it out. It followed us for a couple of blocks. I told myself if it followed us home I would take care of it and made it a point to walk slow. About half way home another young girl with her toddler son were walking toward me on the street and asked about my dogs. I said that only the big one was mine right about the same time the puppy ran up to her and I said I guess the puppy is your's now. She picked it up and took it home.

StormShadow
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Kim won't let me name the dog Walker Texas Ranger so I think I'll name him Cooter. :D

StormShadow
11-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I ended up getting two dogs so that they would have company when I'm not home.

White one is Buddy and the brindle one is Bella I have had them about 4 weeks now with no issues other than Buddy having an allergic reaction to something and his face swelling up. I took him to the animal hospital at 2am on a work night and they fixed him up. We though Buddy was deaf when we first bought him but we really liked him and decided we wanted to keep him even if he was deaf. This is the primary reason we decided to get another boxer so that if he was deaf he would have another dog to follow around to be his ears. Turns out this fuker was just ignoring me. Also you can't wake him up for nothing when he sleeps he just passes out. Bell on the other hand will wake up if she hears an ant fart. The picture of him byhimself is perfect for his personality he is tranquil and composed. Her picture (3rd one down) is perfect for her personality allways up in your face. They were both 9 lbs when I got them, now he is 15 1/2 lbs and she is 13 1/2lbs. Gonna be huge but I'm really glad I finally got them.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_1655.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20117&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_1662.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20118&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Bella.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20121&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC01113.JPG (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20120&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC01114.JPG (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20119&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

Aggie Mom
11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Congrats! They are beautiful. You will have some great companions there.

Tex Arcana
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Congrats! They are beautiful. You will have some great companions there.

qft, they are very beautiful dogs. Best of luck, can't wait to meet them. :tu:

Shiner1
11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
My recommendation is to stay away from pure breds and stay away from buying dogs in general.

There is a ton of research and evidence that the inbreeding required to develop and sustain the breeds has resulted in VERY undesirable traits from cancers and skeletal problems to behavior problems.

In my opinion all dog breeders are evil. They are profiting from contributing to the over population of dogs. Recently saw an ironic note on a breeders website - it said to spay and neuter all dogs. Seems a bit self serving to tell your customers to do something you arent doing. Well it keeps the competition down..

RANT OFF

Rescued my G Shepard.

Shiner1
11-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Great looking dogs Adam.

FRDRCING
11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Good Lookin Dogs Adam

Lyfisin
11-03-2006, 05:45 AM
That's a great shot of the white one looking up. Awesome pups and grats to you guy. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of them. With two pups, you have your hands full. :)

Beaudee
11-03-2006, 09:26 AM

RANT OFF

Someone who doesnt like,or own a dog couldnt possibly appreciate a a pure bred dog.They where bred to preserve the purness of the breed for our enjoyment.Sure theres problems with pure bred,but not all have em.Pure bred dogs rock.When you buy a dog as a puppy,he will always turn out to be a better pet in my opinion.Nothing personal Doug,but if it wasnt for breeders you wouldnt have some of the fine breeds we have,and the qualitys of the breeds that each different person desires.Nice boxers by the way.

03LightningRocks
11-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Someone who doesnt like,or own a dog couldnt possibly appreciate a a pure bred dog.They where bred to preserve the purness of the breed for our enjoyment.Sure theres problems with pure bred,but not all have em.Pure bred dogs rock.When you buy a dog as a puppy,he will always turn out to be a better pet in my opinion.Nothing personal Doug,but if it wasnt for breeders you wouldnt have some of the fine breeds we have,and the qualitys of the breeds that each different person desires.Nice boxers by the way.

Doug is a dog owner and likes dogs.

The statement about appreciating a pure bred makes no sense. Couldn't the same be said for mutts too. If a person doesn't own or like dogs, they won't appreciate any dog, mutt or pure bred.

Most breeders are nit wits who shouldn't be attempting to breed anything. They usually start out with one pure bred dog. Then they get bored with life and need a new dog to make them feel good again. They run out and buy the opposite sex version of what they have and thinking that they are about to get rich, become breeders. If the dogs are lucky, the nit wits will go to pet smart and buy a 79 cent book to learn all about breeding:rolleyes:. Poof, they are then experts at everything dogs.

I have to find a Great Dane puppy for my daughter. Any words of wisdom from anyone???

Wht95Lightning
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Check out NTX great dane rescue

http://www.danerescue.net/

Silver_2000
11-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Nice you dont know **** about me and you make that statement ... Nice...

As Rocks said - breeding animals is more than just money - pure bred is BS there is nothing other than the breeders word that keeps a breed pure.

According to the Buddy Foundation (a rescue group in Arlington Heights), more than 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily versus 10,000 people. So there are a surprising 15 dogs and a whopping 45 cats born for every single person born daily. What's going to become of all those animals? There simply aren't enough people to go around for the new ones born much less the millions of existing unwanted dogs and cats.

4-6 MILLION pets are put to death EACH YEAR in the United States simply because no one came to rescue them. That's 517 killed every HOUR. Count them up just since the turn of the century, and that's 24 MILLION dogs at the very LEAST in the last 6 years alone!

I bet the dogs in these cages are pure breds...

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kgaeding/puppy/pupmil4.jpg

http://www.dcr.net/%7Ehumane/assets/Puppy_Mill_Images/Puppy%20Mill-Housing7.jpg

I bet all these suspended AKC breeders are still selling pure bred puppies..
http://barkbytes.com/suspend/suspindx.htm

L8 APEX
11-03-2006, 10:55 PM
A great Dane and a Chihuahua, talk about duality! Gotta have a pic of those two together..

03LightningRocks
11-04-2006, 09:49 AM
A great Dane and a Chihuahua, talk about duality! Gotta have a pic of those two together..

LOL... I am willing to bet that her Chihuahua will be running the show within about 5 minutes of them meeting.

She is buying a house in March/April. She wanted a big arse dog to keep any potential thugs at bay while she gets her gun out of the night stand:evil.

Picture this one. A thug thinks a break in is safe because he hears a chihuahua barking. He then comes face to face with a pissed off Marmaduke, and is finished off by a freaked out chick shooting him until her ammo runs out. And then as if that's not enough. I find out where his family lives and torture and kill all of them for not raising him right:flaming:. Fock...I just got myself pissed off.

L8 APEX
11-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Look at a Rhodesian Ridge back they are a little smaller and very protective. I think they are African dogs also known a Lion Hounds. Daines will eat 20lbs a week and deposit 30lbs a week;) .
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rhodesianridgeback.htm
Ridgebacks are loyal, intelligent, gentle, and very independent. They are, however, aloof to strangers. This breed requires training and dedication and is only for the experienced dog owner. They are strong-willed, exceptionally clever, and many seem to have a penchant for mischief. Owners report them teaching themselves (and each other) how to escape crates and kennels, open even 'child-locked' cabinets and doors, and especially behind-your-back stealing of food. They do not make a good first dog, though the same traits that make them difficult often appeal to the more experienced owners. Although they can withstand wide temperature variations due to their African heritage, they are sensitive and prefer to be with their human families inside. They were traditionally hunters, guardians, and companions.

This is my favorite part:
Contrary to what many books will say, the Ridgeback is not particularly good with small children. Many Ridgebacks react negatively to the loud screaming, noisey toys and unpredictability of small children. :D
No guard trainined needed, its already inside..
Because of his innate abilities to protect his family, a Ridgeback should not be trained as a guard dog but rather the natural protective qualities should be supplemented with elementary obedience training for control.

dboat
11-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Fock...I just got myself pissed off.

Like thats hard to do... :evil :evil

Dana

Beaudee
11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
:rolleyes:
Nice you dont know **** about me and you make that statement ... Nice...

As Rocks said - breeding animals is more than just money - pure bred is BS there is nothing other than the breeders word that keeps a breed pure.

I bet the dogs in these cages are pure breds...

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kgaeding/puppy/pupmil4.jpg

http://www.dcr.net/%7Ehumane/assets/Puppy_Mill_Images/Puppy%20Mill-Housing7.jpg

I bet all these suspended AKC breeders are still selling pure bred puppies..
http://barkbytes.com/suspend/suspindx.htm
Sometimes what i say doesn't come out right.Im sure you like dogs doug.If you didn't you wouldnt of posted any of those depressing pics you did.Remember no offense.Let me use an example,i like to duck,goose hunt, i am not gona use a mut to retrieve birds.A good lab was bred for the job.Hell i had enough of this thread.I have the feeling i am gona get spanked whatever i say.:rolleyes: :twitch:

L8 APEX
11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I think we are all close to the same points here. For a pet and companion rescuing is a great first option. For those who have a special purpose in mind for a dog a well documented puppy/adult is better for that. Muts and strays make some of the best pets and house dogs I have seen.

dboat
11-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Beaudee and Doug,

I think I understood what both of you were trying to communicate.. We have two dogs and two cats.. both of the cats were "feral" to our home in Dallas. So they both came in from the wild.

The two dogs are quite different. One is a yorkie from a rescue shelter. He was severely abused and malnurished. He will never have the right coat of fur, most of his hair follicles are dead. He is down to only 9 teeth from 42. He is mentally challenged, etc etc.. But my wife loves him and she will make sure that he is taken care of the rest of his life. However long that may be. We dont think his health will ever be great, but the Vet loves us.

The other dog is a Pomeranian named Mike after Michael Schumacher. We got him from a small breeder in Indiana on one of our trips to see a F1 race. We went to the kennel and they gave us a tour. We met his mom and dad. He is the third Pom we have owned. The first one we got from Petland ( or some place like that) he was a great dog that lived 14 yrs and died from complications of having congestial heart failure. The second one we got from a breeder and he died at the age of 5 after having MULTIPLE issues, diabetes, luxating patella, blindness, and lastly a huge tumor. (bad genes) But he was one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet. I miss him greatly.
The current dog is less than two years old and appears to be extremely healthy and active.

So our experiences have been everything that both of you have talked about. I havent had a mutt in a while,not because of any specific reason, other than I like the temperament and the look of Poms.

Dana

Tex Arcana
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM

I've been around both types all my life, and PROPERLY BRED purebreeds are a joy, while those from the mills are a complete crapshoot as as likely to cause heartache as joy.

I grew up with boxers, thanks to my parents being breeders/showers. We had a doxie who was a wonderful dog that made 16 years. We now have a rescue pug that came from a litter that commands $800 per female, and $1200 per male, because of the lineage, and she's a wonderful little fata$$. And our other dog is a mutt, we call her a "chug" because she's what happens when you cross a pug and a chihuahua--NO, we did NOT do this on purpose, we adopted her from friends 12 years ago, and she's been the nicest, healthiest, and easiest dog we've ever dealt with.

So there's something to say both ways; however, I feel that, overall, mutts tend to be healthier and stronger overall.

dboat
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I've been around both types all my life, and PROPERLY BRED purebreeds are a joy, while those from the mills are a complete crapshoot as as likely to cause heartache as joy.

I grew up with boxers, thanks to my parents being breeders/showers. We had a doxie who was a wonderful dog that made 16 years. We now have a rescue pug that came from a litter that commands $800 per female, and $1200 per male, because of the lineage, and she's a wonderful little fata$$. And our other dog is a mutt, we call her a "chug" because she's what happens when you cross a pug and a chihuahua--NO, we did NOT do this on purpose, we adopted her from friends 12 years ago, and she's been the nicest, healthiest, and easiest dog we've ever dealt with.

So there's something to say both ways; however, I feel that, overall, mutts tend to be healthier and stronger overall.

Tex, the wife wants a pic of the "chug".. btw, what is her name?

L8 APEX
11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Rocks, another thing to consider on large breeds is life expectancy. Brian's 'big dummy' daine only made it to 8yrs I think and had misc breed issues. They age pretty agressively for a dog. People were intimidated by him even though he was scaredy like a church mouse.

littleJoe
11-07-2006, 11:47 PM
i have two boxers, one all white about to turn three and a fawn just turned two..no health problems with either..best dogs ive ever had..you may want to ask the breeder for the passive puppy...they seem to behave a little better....

Tex Arcana
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Tex, the wife wants a pic of the "chug".. btw, what is her name?
Got one of both, we've kicknamed 'em "Fata55 and Old Fart", I'm sure you can figure out which is which. :tu:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2pzgnqw.jpg

dboat
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Tex Arcana;112171]Got one of both, we've kicknamed 'em "Fata55 and Old Fart", I'm sure you can figure out which is which. :tu:
QUOTE]

The wife loved em... :tu:

Dana

Tex Arcana
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Tex Arcana;112171]Got one of both, we've kicknamed 'em "Fata55 and Old Fart", I'm sure you can figure out which is which. :tu:
QUOTE]

The wife loved em... :tu:

Dana

thanks... they're sweet dogs, and very well behaved. :tu:

StormShadow
11-26-2006, 07:44 PM
The pups are getting big Buddy is 22 lbs now and Bella is 18.5 lbs.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_0005.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20233&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_0007.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20234&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=135)

Tex Arcana
11-26-2006, 07:59 PM
They're both gorgeous. How's the health of the white one?

StormShadow
11-26-2006, 08:15 PM
They're both gorgeous. How's the health of the white one?

Couldnt be better thanks for asking. And he hears everything, I stood in the front yard and yelled and he came running from the back yard.

Tex Arcana
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Couldnt be better thanks for asking. And he hears everything, I stood in the front yard and yelled and he came running from the back yard.

Damn, that's nice. I can't get either of my brats to listen for crap, tho we're thinking the elder one just flat has "selective hearing", while the other seems to be going deaf. :(