PDA

View Full Version : Audio System??'s

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey guys whats up, just wanted to stop in and ask a few questions about a system. what would be the best size subs to go with 2 12's or 2 10's also what is a good head unit for the trucks does a 7" flip up look good or do they look out of place like in some car/trucks? thanks for all the input in advance.

Also if anyone has any pics they could post up of your own systems thanks

SILVER2000SVT
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
As a rule, bigger is not always better when it comes to subs. 12's are too big for behind the seat unless you are 5'4" and don't mind the seat being pushed all the way forward.

As a former professional installer for many years it is much much better to have fewer and/or smaller subs in a properly sized and designed enclosure than cramming more and/or bigger subs in too small of a box. I see so many people making this mistake. The funny thing is that they will say "come check out my new system, it sounds awesome". I guess if you have never heard anything good to compare it to that may be true from your perspective.

Remember the heart of the system is the amps, Your amps should be the most expensive part of the system.

SVTJoseCuervo
10-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Go with 2 10s...Thats what I have (JL audio w3sV2) they sound:tu: (unless you want to cut the back of the truck like some people do (not my thing) but it sounds kick ass I bet

or go with 2 kickers L7/L5....I have a Brand New In Box kicker solobaric l5 if your interested for $110...they go for about $150...I got a good deal on the 2 jls with box after i bought the kicker...soo ya....let me know

SVTJoseCuervo
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
As a rule, bigger is not always better when it comes to subs. 12's are too big for behind the seat unless you are 5'4" and don't mind the seat being pushed all the way forward.

As a former professional installer for many years it is much much better to have fewer and/or smaller subs in a properly sized and designed enclosure than cramming more and/or bigger subs in too small of a box. I see so many people making this mistake. The funny thing is that they will say "come check out my new system, it sounds awesome". I guess if you have never heard anything good to compare it to that may be true from your perspective.

Remember the heart of the system is the amps, Your amps should be the most expensive part of the system.

^^that too....I had to go with a cheap amp for the moment...dumbest mistake ever :vomit:

tliss
10-05-2006, 12:21 PM
A flip up screen looks mighty nice in there:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/26DCP_0948.jpg

You will want to upgrade the speakers all ready in the truck and so far the advice you are getting is good. 2 10s are pretty tight behind the seat and I have heard one 10 should suffice (I have 2 in a Thunderform...not the best box, but it worked). Definitely want a good amp in there powering stuff and I suggest some Dynamat or other sound dampener on the cab walls.

Tom

SVTJoseCuervo
10-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Double din indash would look like 100x better than a flip up screen...my opion

Chris94L
10-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree.

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the advice but, what is a double din indash? and also jose is that L5 in a box made for our trucks or just in a box? Thanks again guys.

Ooooo... Nevermind on the double din thats exactly what i was looking for something that was like a tv that fit flush in the dash and didn't have to come out that played all my stuff nice very nice. thanks again guys.

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Damn the audio shop wants 360 to install everything thats a good chunk of money. Anyone in here a professional installer that only charges a case of beer or so:beer::beer: that could help ahahah. i'll really have to save for this if i'm going to buy the good stuff.

Does this sound like a good buy, or are there better deals out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-FORD-THUNDERFORM-F150-REG-CAB-TRUCK-SUB-BOX-W-2-10_W0QQitemZ140036927489QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50565QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BC Lightning
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the advice but, what is a double din indash? and also jose is that L5 in a box made for our trucks or just in a box? Thanks again guys.

Ooooo... Nevermind on the double din thats exactly what i was looking for something that was like a tv that fit flush in the dash and didn't have to come out that played all my stuff nice very nice. thanks again guys.

Double dins look real sharp, and that is the route im going next instead of a flip up screen like I had (f'n car thieves :hammer: ) and using security bolts/screws to secure it

Also to really make a system sound good like Jason said is the other speakers, throwing subs in with stock mids and highs sounds like ass to me, I have replaced my front and rear speakers with 6.5" component Focal Polykevlar and 5.25" component Focal Polykevlar in the kick panels, vocals sound real nice :tu:

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Double dins look real sharp, and that is the route im going next instead of a flip up screen like I had (f'n car thieves :hammer: ) and using security bolts/screws to secure it

Also to really make a system sound good like Jason said is the other speakers, throwing subs in with stock mids and highs sounds like ass to me, I have replaced my front and rear speakers with 6.5" component Focal Polykevlar and 5.25" component Focal Polykevlar in the kick panels, vocals sound real nice :tu:
yea for sure i'll change out the mids and highs i'm planning on doing it all either looking at jose's one 10/L5 solobaric or the 2 10" MTX's above to get custom box built for the solo is 175 ported and the 2 10's and box is about 3bills plus about 5bills for the double din and amp i'm really not sure about any suggestions on a amp if i went with the solo or the mtx's thanks.

SILVER2000SVT
10-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Is the $360 for labor only or for the total installation? Is there any custom work associated with that? What all are you getting installed? Depending on what you get you can easily spend a lot of $$$ on just the parts required for the installation before labor i.e. wire, terminals, dash kit, head unit harness, capacitors, rca cables, etc.

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Is the $360 for labor only or for the total installation? Is there any custom work associated with that? What all are you getting installed? Depending on what you get you can easily spend a lot of $$$ on just the parts required for the installation before labor i.e. wire, terminals, dash kit, head unit harness, capacitors, rca cables, etc.
its for the custom box for the L5 solo(175) so actually its 185 for the the amp being installed thats 4 gauge wireing kit and labor and also for a wireing harness and the double din being installed. and i think thats it.

SVTJoseCuervo
10-05-2006, 02:39 PM
360? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

my friends would do it for some beer and a few bucks (you would then be giving beer to underage drinkers) haha...soo maybe just the money....find out what you will put in your truck 1st...

that ebay link :nono:
i had 2 10"s mtx a while back.....compared to the jl audio w3s with not a badass amp that i have... :vomit: ....plus that guys feedback is horrible...haha :tongue:

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
360? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

my friends would do it for some beer and a few bucks (you would then be giving beer to underage drinkers) haha...soo maybe just the money....find out what you will put in your truck 1st...

that ebay link :nono:
i had 2 10"s mtx a while back.....compared to the jl audio w3s with not a badass amp that i have... :vomit: ....plus that guys feedback is horrible...haha :tongue:
well i didn't look that far into it hahha sux for him i was just throwing something out there. I think i'm going to go with the L5 but what kind of amp should i get? Maybe a kicker to match it? Also how many watts do i need and also what channel a mono block or a 2 channel bridged? I know nothing.:tex I need help.

SILVER2000SVT
10-05-2006, 03:25 PM
its for the custom box for the L5 solo(175) so actually its 185 for the the amp being installed thats 4 gauge wireing kit and labor and also for a wireing harness and the double din being installed. and i think thats it.

If that's for a custom box and everything you mentioned that's a deal. You figure $175 for the box, well about $75 of that is materials and $100 for labor. A good builder will take less than 2 hours, so $50/hour which includes shop overhead isn't that bad at all. I'm used to a custom box starting at $250-$300 for something simple and going up as high as you want to spend. Keep in mind for a good shop its more than slapping some pieces of wood together, you have to get the proper air space, you have to upolster it with at least some cheap carpet, it needs to be designed so the seat back doesn't interfer with the speaker travel, ect.

For the install of the other items $85-$100 for parts so the other $85-100 for the labor to install a head unit, amp, subbox, wiring, door speakers?...I think those numbers are very fair...

SIL02SVT
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
If that's for a custom box and everything you mentioned that's a deal. You figure $175 for the box, well about $75 of that is materials and $100 for labor. A good builder will take less than 2 hours, so $50/hour which includes shop overhead isn't that bad at all. I'm used to a custom box starting at $250-$300 for something simple and going up as high as you want to spend. Keep in mind for a good shop its more than slapping some pieces of wood together, you have to get the proper air space, you have to upolster it with at least some cheap carpet, it needs to be designed so the seat back doesn't interfer with the speaker travel, ect.

For the install of the other items $85-$100 for parts so the other $85-100 for the labor to install a head unit, amp, subbox, wiring, door speakers?...I think those numbers are very fair...
Ok cool i didn't look at it that way it just seemed like alot when i first thought about it, thanks again for your input.

dboat
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
I have had my Focals for over 3 years and really like them a lot..

I am curious about this though.. seems to be nice sub replacement and has gotten some good reviews.. was mobile audio product of the year..

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=PLT-5

Dana

SIL02SVT
10-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I have had my Focals for over 3 years and really like them a lot..

I am curious about this though.. seems to be nice sub replacement and has gotten some good reviews.. was mobile audio product of the year..

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=PLT-5

Dana
Looks pretty cool, Thanks but i don't think thats what i'm looking for. But then again i don't know what in the hell i'm looking for:hammer: