PDA

View Full Version : Leather

Mark #2
10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
I can't believe they are changing the BBall in the NBA to a Walmart special.:confused:

As kids, we even used last years leather balls in the summer outdoor leagues because the rubber ones were so bad.
Nothing like a fuzzy leather outdoor BBall.;)

Even the Bi-Centennial balls were dyed leather, red, white, and blue.
My personal favorite BBall, loved the rotation.

Maybe the NFL will go to Nerf balls next because you can throw them further?

WTF?

Tex Arcana
10-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Just remember that NBA stands for "National BOGUSBALL league". :rolleyes: I'm sure they'll turn that into some sort of drama that'll land them on the front pages, soon enough.

And it's a well-known fact that quarterbacks, receivers, and some running backs wear dresses and tu-tu's, along with those little flags on their hips. :hammer:

dboat
10-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I can't believe they are changing the BBall in the NBA to a Walmart special.:confused:

As kids, we even used last years leather balls in the summer outdoor leagues because the rubber ones were so bad.

WTF?

Mark, what are you talking about? I havent heard they are changing the ball... :confused:

Ken
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.blogmaverick.com/2006/10/05/the-new-nba-ball/

dboat
10-16-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.blogmaverick.com/2006/10/05/the-new-nba-ball/

however, as was stated in the blog... why the change? its where there was a solution to a problem that didnt exist.

Dana

TP Derrick D
10-17-2006, 09:03 AM

WTF?

Hey mark, I'm with U. the reports I seen on the sports channel/segments seems to remind me also of the balls we used to have as kids-teenagers. we called it a "lunatick" (don't ask about the name because I don't know) back in early '70's. had a funny sound when it bounced. That red,white & blue ball was the king back then, watching Dr J in the ABA on a fast break dunk. I was thinking a few days ago about the R,W & B balls when a segment on this new ball was on, that the NBA should use the R,W & B ball on special occasions and throwback games although the NBA never used the R,W & B ball, a lot of the ABA teams came to the NBA during the merge and this would be a good way to remember the history of the NBA. Plus this young generation don't know the R,W & B ball like back in the day. As long as they don't think its something new.

dboat
10-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey mark, I'm with U. the reports I seen on the sports channel/segments seems to remind me also of the balls we used to have as kids-teenagers. we called it a "lunatick" (don't ask about the name because I don't know) back in early '70's. had a funny sound when it bounced. That red,white & blue ball was the king back then, watching Dr J in the ABA on a fast break dunk. I was thinking a few days ago about the R,W & B balls when a segment on this new ball was on, that the NBA should use the R,W & B ball on special occasions and throwback games although the NBA never used the R,W & B ball, a lot of the ABA teams came to the NBA during the merge and this would be a good way to remember the history of the NBA. Plus this young generation don't know the R,W & B ball like back in the day. As long as they don't think its something new.

always liked to see the RWB ball with a backspin floating towards the basket.. just something poetic about it. :rolleyes:

Mark #2
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Looked around for some pics from when my high school team played the NE Patriots in a charity BBall event with the RWB ball, couldn't find them, must be at Dad's house. I guarded Steve Grogan, it was way cool for me at the time.

Also, worked as a beer jock for the 6ers in college so got to see alot of Dr J., and the nickname Dr K. in the gyms, white guy that could jam, from Massachusetts did it too.

Can't believe they are going to a plastic ball. I still use leather outside at home.

TP Derrick D
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Looked around for some pics from when my high school team played the NE Patriots in a charity BBall event with the RWB ball, couldn't find them, must be at Dad's house. I guarded Steve Grogan, it was way cool for me at the time.

Also, worked as a beer jock for the 6ers in college so got to see alot of Dr J., and the nickname Dr K. in the gyms, white guy that could jam, from Massachusetts did it too.

Can't believe they are going to a plastic ball. I still use leather outside at home.

Hey Mark...that Steve Grogan be the Steve Grogan of ex-New England Patriot quarterback fame? yeah, thats when I was a Pat the Patriot fan,,,Sam "Bam" Cunningham, Daryl Stingley(before the Jack Tatum hit)Jim Plunkett.. U get the pic. Man, Dr J & the 6ers blew it in '77 when they lost to Bill Walton & the Trailblazers after being up 2-0. That was worst than '72 when Wilt & the Lakers lost to Walt Clyde & the Knicks, and '75 when Golden State beat Washington Bullets... I was pulling for all the ones that lost

dboat
10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Mark,
Wasnt Grogan pretty tall? bet you were giving away a few inches on that matchup..

Derrick, I remember watching all of those NBA Championships too.. back in the day when they played real basketball.. However, I wont ever forget when the GS Warriors won that series... man, it seems they would be down by 30-40 points and then come roaring back behind Rick Barry shooting from downtown and make 15 shots in a row, or something like that...

Wasnt Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes on that Bullets team?

Dana

Mark #2
10-18-2006, 07:49 PM
About 5 inches, but it was just a charity event, not serious play.

TP Derrick D
10-25-2006, 04:02 AM
Mark,
Wasnt Grogan pretty tall? bet you were giving away a few inches on that matchup..

Derrick, I remember watching all of those NBA Championships too.. back in the day when they played real basketball.. However, I wont ever forget when the GS Warriors won that series... man, it seems they would be down by 30-40 points and then come roaring back behind Rick Barry shooting from downtown and make 15 shots in a row, or something like that...

Wasnt Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes on that Bullets team?

Dana

yep, they were on that team thats why I was pulling for them. I like Elvin Hayes and his fall away jumper. Remember his commercial...."get that ball down, get that ball down, now shoot !!!"

TP Derrick D
10-25-2006, 04:09 AM

WTF?

Mark,
I thought about something when I heard they were changing the NBA ball after 35 years. I remember when they changed to Spalding. I believe it was Voit before the change to Spalding. I don't know what happen to Voit, guess they went out of biz. As a kid I guess the maker wasn't important just that we had one.

Mark #2
10-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Mark,
I thought about something when I heard they were changing the NBA ball after 35 years. I remember when they changed to Spalding. I believe it was Voit before the change to Spalding. I don't know what happen to Voit, guess they went out of biz. As a kid I guess the maker wasn't important just that we had one.

Voit is still around, and the ones that I used to have too, still got one but no need to post a pic, they always had smaller seams..

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-0485786-6578511?asin=B000BR3ZCW&AFID=Yahoo&LNM=B000BR3ZCW|Voit_Cushioned_Mens_Basketball&ref=tgt_adv_XPYD0100

TP Derrick D
10-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Voit is still around, and the ones that I used to have too, still got one but no need to post a pic, they always had smaller seams..

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-0485786-6578511?asin=B000BR3ZCW&AFID=Yahoo&LNM=B000BR3ZCW|Voit_Cushioned_Mens_Basketball&ref=tgt_adv_XPYD0100
Mark,
thanks for that info old school.:D I also had the words wrong in the post that I was talking about Elvin Hayes old commercial. It wasn't get that ball down, it was "get that rhythm down,get that rhythm down, now shoot (that ball) ?

dboat
10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Just watched a nicely done review of this on HDnet (for you DirectTv types).
They had people from Spalding, the NBA, players and then had some faculty engineers from UT Arlington test the new ball. The NBA and Spalding, like its consistency from ball to ball, venue to venue. The players that they interviewed dont like it and are upset (pissed) that the change was made without asking them their opinion, and the NBA Players Assoc had no comment.
The ball is more slippery when it gets wet, the engineers showed that one..

Anyway, if you have this channel and get a chance to watch the replay, do so, its very educational.

Dana

Mark #2
10-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Just watched a nicely done review of this on HDnet (for you DirectTv types).
They had people from Spalding, the NBA, players and then had some faculty engineers from UT Arlington test the new ball. The NBA and Spalding, like its consistency from ball to ball, venue to venue. The players that they interviewed dont like it and are upset (pissed) that the change was made without asking them their opinion, and the NBA Players Assoc had no comment.
The ball is more slippery when it gets wet, the engineers showed that one..

Anyway, if you have this channel and get a chance to watch the replay, do so, its very educational.

Dana
And who owns HDnet?:D
He is ripping the league again, he needs to stop, or the Mavs will never win a title.

tiffo60
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
i heard on the radio this morning that they are switching back to the old balls realizing that it was a mistake from the begining:cool:

TP Derrick D
12-06-2006, 06:01 PM
i heard on the radio this morning that they are switching back to the old balls realizing that it was a mistake from the begining:cool:

I didn't hear it like that but I did hear on ESPN's Cold Pizza that the Commish is answering the grievance the union filed on behalf of the players to talk to Spalding and see what can be done to (1.)address the bounce & (2) address the slickness when the ball gets wet. Like Mark & I was saying if it ain't broke after 30 years....why fix er' I mean fock it up.

Mark #2
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I didn't hear it like that but I did hear on ESPN's Cold Pizza that the Commish is answering the grievance the union filed on behalf of the players to talk to Spalding and see what can be done to (1.)address the bounce & (2) address the slickness when the ball gets wet. Like Mark & I was saying if it ain't broke after 30 years....why fix er' I mean fock it up.

It's been a little longer than 30 years, scroll down to the patent.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbasketball.htm

My sister went to Springfield on a scholarship.
Tried to upload a jpg but got an error message that is not a valid image file:confused:

gbgary
12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
p.i.t.a. is gonna be mad about this!! :D

TP Derrick D
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
It's been a little longer than 30 years, scroll down to the patent.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbasketball.htm

My sister went to Springfield on a scholarship.
Tried to upload a jpg but got an error message that is not a valid image file:confused:

No Mark I was talking about the last time the NBA changed the ball, I know b-ball was invented 100+ years ago. Remember we was talking about Voit?

Mark #2
12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
No Mark I was talking about the last time the NBA changed the ball, I know b-ball was invented 100+ years ago. Remember we was talking about Voit?
Yeah, I remember, just putting a little history ref. out there.

Mark #2
12-11-2006, 06:56 PM
New years resolution, only play with leather.:D

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spball1212,0,7125087.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

TP Derrick D
12-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I saw that they old ball will come back Jan 1, now if they stop calling so many tech's for cry baby reasons.

dboat
12-12-2006, 06:11 AM
How about Steve Nash saying the new ball had cut up his hands some but he had gotten used to it and now will have to relearn the old ball... typical players, complain about the change to a new ball and then complain about changing back...

Dana