PDA

View Full Version : nitrous kits

umclightning
10-17-2006, 12:40 AM
What nitrous kits r yall using? I curently have a nos setup but was wondering what kit is made best 4 the gen 2. Someone on nloc told me to look up race tested's kit anyone familiar with it.

03LightningRocks
10-17-2006, 02:28 AM
What nitrous kits r yall using? I curently have a nos setup but was wondering what kit is made best 4 the gen 2. Someone on nloc told me to look up race tested's kit anyone familiar with it.

The racetested kit is sh!t. Actually made for the ricer crowd. The asswipe that makes it is from england. Plastic supply lines...blah. I will stick with made in america. NOS or NXExpress are the two I would consider.

99WhiteBeast
10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12052

SIL02SVT
10-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Is there any certain thing you have to do to your truck to put a nitrous system on? Also how much would it cost for a full system?

tiffo60
10-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Is there any certain thing you have to do to your truck to put a nitrous system on? Also how much would it cost for a full system?

need a custom tune with nitrous, and a full system with purge and bottle heater is usually in the $1000 range

umclightning
10-17-2006, 02:51 PM

I hit a 100 shot with no tune:nono: , but didnt do it again defenetly need a tune with nitrous

RUNVS
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
The NX Mustang wet kit (50-75hp) for fuel injected cars is the one to get for the Lightning. Comes with a 10 lb. bottle and all the hardware. I want to say that Jegs has them for around $500.

For what it's worth.... I wouldn't spray a stock block Lightning with more than a 75 shot. And yes, you will need a nitrous tune for when you're hittin' the bottle.

L8 APEX
10-17-2006, 11:03 PM
I like NX because they are a local Texas company and they have top notch engineering and products. I prefer wet kits vs the dry kits popular with late model GM cars. Nitrous done right is not cheap. The bare bones kits are over 500 bucks. Then the basic accessory kit starts at 300 bucks for bottle heater, blow down tube, fuel press safety etc. A purge is another 100-150. Then a nice custom install is a lot of work. I spend 3-4 days on the average install. Of course you don't have any electronics yet. A nice window switch will save wear on your trans, rev limit protection etc..

wesman
10-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I like NX because they are a local Texas company and they have top notch engineering and products. I prefer wet kits vs the dry kits popular with late model GM cars. Nitrous done right is not cheap. The bare bones kits are over 500 bucks. Then the basic accessory kit starts at 300 bucks for bottle heater, blow down tube, fuel press safety etc. A purge is another 100-150. Then a nice custom install is a lot of work. I spend 3-4 days on the average install. Of course you don't have any electronics yet. A nice window switch will save wear on your trans, rev limit protection etc..

Most people think it's cheap, but once you throw all the products on it adds up pretty quickly. Also add on a remote opener if you have a bed cover, worth it's weight in gold IMO, ask my bruised arm about it.

Window switch...

--wes

WA 2 FST
10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I concur with all that has been said, especially the part about the total cost involved.

Obviously you want it to be as safe as possible. In my mind that necessitates the following items that are _not_ included in a standard kit... and that's where these companies will get you. 1) rpm window switch 2) purge valve (especially in the TX heat when you need to alleviate excessive pressure in the bottle... what good is the nitrous kit if you cannot use it anytime?), 3) full throttle activation switch (can be done several ways). 4) nitrous tune. My favorite is to plumb an additional nitrous solenoid in-line. This basically doubles your safety in case of the worst possible scenario occurring... a stuck _open_ nitrous 'noid.

A bottle heater (for cooler days) will be important. A remote opener is very nice, but be aware that they do not always work very well from my experience.

Add all this up and you're over $1000 in parts alone.

I've run nitrous on two different vehicles I've owned, and I like it. I am one of the few who does not see any real negatives to it. It's there when you need it, and it doesn't interfere with anything if you don't need it. If the system needs repair, the vehicle still operates as normal. If you have a fast vehicle to begin with, you will not use that much nitrous. Being able to control the application of power (say 2nd gear and on up) is very nice.

Good luck.