PDA

View Full Version : Well ******* son of a ****** >>

wesman
11-14-2002, 10:43 PM
it seems I am the latest victim of the blown spark plug. The second one from the front on the drivers side blew. It's still in there but it broke the coil pack in half . It seems to be broken completely around the plug. I didn't look at it too closely , it's been a long ass day and this just tops it all off.

I guess I'll try to take a better look tomorrow.

What does a head cost from Ford ?

This happen to anyone else locally ? What's a repair like this cost ?

This sure ****es me off, I was actually just about to switch from the TR6's to the IT-22's, so the tightness issue would have been a moot point next weekend. It of course would be nice if Ford would have designed the **** right the first time. When the hell is Ford gonna pay attention to this and admit it's a problem instead of turning the other cheek ?

--wes

ken cryder
11-14-2002, 10:53 PM
sorry to hear that wes .

i just put tr6's in mine last week about an hour job .
i have heard of this from a guy in denton the factory warranty coverd it but i think he still had the stock plugs . don't know what they will do with aftermarket plugs .
ken cryder
good luck

wesman
11-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ken cryder
sorry to hear that wes .

i just put tr6's in mine last week about an hour job .
i have heard of this from a guy in denton the factory warranty coverd it but i think he still had the stock plugs . don't know what they will do with aftermarket plugs .
ken cryder
good luck

My factory warranty is way expired :(

--wes

Red2002
11-14-2002, 11:08 PM
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-38389.gifhttp://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-37955.gif

Sorry to hear it man. I guess you won't know the extent of the damage until the morning. :(

wesman
11-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Red2002
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-38389.gifhttp://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/1855-2588-37955.gif

Sorry to hear it man. I guess you won't know the extent of the damage until the morning. :(

No...don't even feel like messing with it.

I actully have to work tomorrow , people in from Europe to meet with us. So I may not know anything until Saturday. It sucks either way.

--wes

L8 APEX
11-14-2002, 11:47 PM
Moonshine was the last one to deal with this out of warranty. From what I remembered about his deal. They did the intercooler update @36K replaced plugs also. At @ 52K? he launched one. Took it back said hey you guys put those in and it blew. They said it was @2K dollar repair and they would cover 3/4 of it. So he paid about 500 bucks. I think my cost on a head is around 800 bucks... Over the counter it is about a $2K dollar repair:( Makes on hell of a racket though:hammer:

Tony2000
11-14-2002, 11:48 PM
this is almost as bad as having your warranty voided
sad to hear that man:( :(
I don't think Ford offers a complite head, you might be able to buy just the head case :confused:

L8 APEX
11-15-2002, 12:38 AM
Due to the way they built them you have to buy them complete cam, valves and all:rolleyes:

ken cryder
11-15-2002, 01:15 AM
just curious but if it just stripped the threads couldn't you heli coil it ?
ken

wesman
11-15-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ken cryder
just curious but if it just stripped the threads couldn't you heli coil it ?
ken

I have heard the heli coil thing a few times. I am unfamiliar with how this works or who may be able to do it.

WHat would it entail and has anyone had it done here ?

--wes

J.D. Blackwell
11-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Sorry to here about your terrible situation.
Some advice: Don't try to buy anything from Ford. You can find a used head somewhere.

I have seen complete heads before on these websites CHEAP, so check the classifieds.

www.corral.net
www.dfwstangs.net

Make a post "NEED A FRICKIN HEAD" or something.
I may be wrong, but I think the heads are interchangable whether beng on the drver side or passenger side...just swap your cam on there if it will be a head for the passenger side going on your driver side.

I will keep my eye out on one for ya.

wesman
11-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
Sorry to here about your terrible situation.
Some advice: Don't try to buy anything from Ford. You can find a used head somewhere.

I have seen complete heads before on these websites CHEAP, so check the classifieds.

www.corral.net
www.dfwstangs.net

I may be wrong, but I think the heads are interchangable whether beng on the drver side or passenger side...just swap your cam on there if it will be a head for the passenger side going on your driver side.

I will keep my eye out on one for ya.

Thanks for the advise J.D. ,I was thinking about trying to find a used one somewhere as well. I must admit I am not sure which heads are interchangeable, this being my first Ford in about 10 years.

What other cars have the same heads as the L?

Also any recommendations on who to have do this work for me? I have no problems bolting things on etc btu I certainly haven't broekn down a head or anythign similar on one of these motors.

--wes

J.D. Blackwell
11-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Found this on corral. This guy pro50mech@aol.com has a bare head from a Lightning for $200 O.B.O. Just swap your valves, springs, and cams.

Keep in mind, ALL of the heads from the '99+ 4.6 and 5.4 are the SAME heads. I have been browsing through the corral for the last 20 minutes and have found lots of heads, mostly selling in pairs for around $450 and $500.

Also, since you are changing out a head, you might want to half way take advantage of the situation, if you can, and find some ported heads and maybe some cam regrinds. If you have thought about it before, nows the time. Just a thought.

Here is a link to a set of ported heads with Modmax valves, springs, regrund cams, etc for sale. The same guy who did them did all of my head work.http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195276

Remember we have the SAME heads from the Mustangs '99+

As far as having someone to do the work for you, DON'T go to Bankston.:mad: :nono:

Sixpipes
11-15-2002, 11:45 AM

You might want to post that in the 'Ladies Man" section or something. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shocked.gif

J.D. Blackwell
11-15-2002, 11:52 AM
The same guy with the head from the Lightning also has this:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196057

J.D. Blackwell
11-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
You might want to post that in the 'Ladies Man" section or something. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shocked.gif

Way ahead of you.:tu:

Mark #2
11-15-2002, 12:49 PM
Helicoils and other inserts are wonderful inventions that work especially well in AL. You drill out the original threads to a larger diameter and now you have a larger bearing surface in the Al. Inserts are typically steel and can handle higher torque loadings.

Once you have a head off I would Helicoil all of the spark plug holes this will solve the probems in the future.

wesman
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
The same guy with the head from the Lightning also has this:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196057

JD,

Thanks again for your help on this. I checked the link above and that looks liek a good deal for heads. Are these complete? Everything I need ? What is PI ?Precision Industries ?

Sorry to ask all these questions but I know nothing at all about the heads on this engine :(

--wes

wesman
11-15-2002, 03:57 PM
JD,

I'm talking to the guy about what he would take for the DTA built heads. I noticed you asked him what the price was, did he respond to you yet?

What else should I ask him that would be pertinent ?

Thanks for the help.

--wes

J.D. Blackwell
11-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by wesman
JD,

I'm talking to the guy about what he would take for the DTA built heads. I noticed you asked him what the price was, did he respond to you yet?

What else should I ask him that would be pertinent ?

Thanks for the help.

--wes

$2,050 shipped to the front door. They are a mild cams, don't know the specs.
The same guy that did my heads done these. This is his website
www.dtaperformance.com He did live in Baytown, but now he is in Kilgore. He does good work, check out my link in my sig. The 2nd bunch of pictures has my heads and intake in there.

P.I. means Power Improved The were a 2nd generation head over the '98 and older 2 valve head.

Moonshine
11-18-2002, 05:14 PM
Wes,

Sorry to see you've joined this club. You launched the same plug I did. Scares the beejesus' out of you when it lets go, huh? :eek2:

Before you buy a head I'd take it to the dealership just to see what they say. Terry had the details on my ordeal correct. And if it blows again, I can go back and tell 'em they put these plugs in too. :rolleyes:

wesman
11-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Moonshine
Wes,

Sorry to see you've joined this club. You launched the same plug I did. Scares the beejesus' out of you when it lets go, huh? :eek2:

Before you buy a head I'd take it to the dealership just to see what they say. Terry had the details on my ordeal correct. And if it blows again, I can go back and tell 'em they put these plugs in too. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm way out of warranty. I'm sure they would just tell me how much they would rape me for to fix the problem they should have avoided in the first place.

Think I have a chance at all to get them to do it?

I don't have a relationship with any of the Ford dealers at all around here, I bought the truck from a private dealership so there is no customer angle to work either :(

--wes

--wes

Moonshine
11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
I'd still give it a shot. The worst they can do is keep your truck for a day and then quote you an outrageous price. I was 16K miles past my warranty, and the only "relationship" I had with the dealer was having had my I/C recall done there.

L8 APEX
11-18-2002, 10:42 PM
You need a set of Motorcraft plugs in there. I think they would balk at the discovery of aftermarket plugs?:hammer:

WA 2 FST
11-21-2002, 10:44 AM
I heli-coiled a crankshaft once...and it lasted a long time behind gobs of HP (533rwhp). If its done right, you would have no issues by going this route, and it is probably the cheapest way to go.

You're gonna have to pull the head anyway. I'd also consider doing all four on that particular head, but even just the one would get you back on your way. :)

If you don't have the right drill bit/tap, then take it to a quality machine shop. They can do it for you...or whoever pulls the head off will know someone, or be able to do it themselves.

To me this will be the cheapest and quickest way to get you back on the road. It's not a performance upgrade, though. :tongue:

wesman
11-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by WA 2 FST
I heli-coiled a crankshaft once...and it lasted a long time behind gobs of HP (533rwhp). If its done right, you would have no issues by going this route, and it is probably the cheapest way to go.

You're gonna have to pull the head anyway. I'd also consider doing all four on that particular head, but even just the one would get you back on your way. :)

If you don't have the right drill bit/tap, then take it to a quality machine shop. They can do it for you...or whoever pulls the head off will know someone, or be able to do it themselves.

To me this will be the cheapest and quickest way to get you back on the road. It's not a performance upgrade, though. :tongue:

Wes,

Did you see the pics of it? Do you think it can still be heli-coiled?

http://205.214.76.165/~talonsv/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1219

Link to the pics

--wes

L8 APEX
11-21-2002, 03:40 PM
It would take a machine shop since the pilot hole is off center. Or rig up some kind of giude yourself. It is questionable whether there is enough metal on that side to hold a heli coil. But for 200 bucks I would get a new head instead of repairing yours..

WA 2 FST
11-21-2002, 06:52 PM
After seeing the pics (thanks for the link), I _definitely_ agree with Terry. That head would take some welding (which can be done on aluminum without issue, so long as its a quality shop) to get it right.

WA 2 much material missing there to helicoil.

And if you can get a stock head for $200, then that's cheaper than having someone fix this one for you.

wesman
12-02-2002, 08:44 PM
$2,050 shipped to the front door. They are a mild cams, don't know the specs.
The same guy that did my heads done these. This is his website
www.dtaperformance.com He did live in Baytown, but now he is in Kilgore. He does good work, check out my link in my sig. The 2nd bunch of pictures has my heads and intake in there.

P.I. means Power Improved The were a 2nd generation head over the '98 and older 2 valve head.

JD,

One of the guys on the corral has these for sale on ebay. Think they are worth it ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=1873870489

He lives in Huntsville so I could drive down and pick them up if i get them. Wherever it is, he said about 3 hr from DFW.

--wes