PDA

View Full Version : Geek: Vmware is giving away VMware Server - lets you run virtual Machines

Silver_2000
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
In other words you can download software that will let you run Virtual Machines on your PC -Vmware Server (http://www.vmware.com/products/server/)
I just got a new laptop that is pretty stout with 2 gb ram and Core Duo processer ( Yes Logan its a Dell D620 ) Im going to run an XP virtual machine and a Suse Linux Virtual Machine to start with.

The XP box will let me test stuff that I dont want to risk on my work PC -
Its sandbox concept - the virtual machine is completly separate from the host. And you can snapshot the VM so when you get it built and installed you can make an image - test it - srew it up and delete it and restore the ready to run image

Pretty cool stuff...

Doug

Ivanhoe_Farms
10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
In other words you can download software that will let you run Virtual Machines on your PC -Vmware Server (http://www.vmware.com/products/server/)
I just got a new laptop that is pretty stout with 2 gb ram and Core Duo processer ( Yes Logan its a Dell D620 ) Im going to run an XP virtual machine and a Suse Linux Virtual Machine to start with.

The XP box will let me test stuff that I dont want to risk on my work PC -
Its sandbox concept - the virtual machine is completly separate from the host. And you can snapshot the VM so when you get it built and installed you can make an image - test it - srew it up and delete it and restore the ready to run image

Pretty cool stuff...

Doug

IS THAT ESX OR GSX:confused: Been running ESX for two years now, with VMOTION you can do some really slick things:cool:

98Cobra
10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
They are giving away basically what used to be GSX. That's because Microsoft is also giving away Virtual Server 2005.

We are working with ESX now at my job, and it kicks ass.

Tex Arcana
10-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna use WINE... :tongue:

98Cobra
10-30-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm gonna use WINE... :tongue:

Thats not the same thing. Wine lets you run Windows apps on Linux - this software creates a whole seperate computer virtually.

Silver_2000
10-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Im currently running a separate XP session and a Suse session all on my Host XP laptop - its only using 550 mb total ram and the CPU usage is low.

I realise that this is old hat to some of you but the free thing is what attracted me. As much testing of one off apps and stuff I do this is a GOD send - I can screw up a virtual XP session and then just delete it and mount a fresh image..

here is load while running XP and While updating 60 windows updates in the VMware XP session and While finishing install of SUSE in second vmware window

Tex Arcana
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Thats not the same thing. Wine lets you run Windows apps on Linux - this software creates a whole seperate computer virtually.
:rolleyes: That's exactly what I meant. :tongue: