PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Sniffer... may be hosed

WA 2 FST
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Well it was bound to happen up here in Collin Co.

I was forced to go through one of those roadside sniffers. I had someone behind me, so I couldn't shut the ignition. Just coasted, flipped it into neutral and cruised through it.

When Terry put on the LTs, I opted not to mess with the cats due to the expense plus the fact that they often don't last very long.

I may be getting them installed shortly. :tongue:

And I don't want to hear anything about "being unfriendly to the environment." That's not where this thread needs to go... PLEASE.:)

tiffo60
11-17-2006, 03:59 PM
there all over fort worth here, they love to set one up on the on on ramp to 20 at hulen, i dont have any cats and i just coast by

SILVER2000SVT
11-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Those things can't be that accurate... Besides the actually sniffer tests aren't that hard to pass. Heck, I had an old car that was noticably burning oil and had no cats and passed the sniffer test every year until they started to require the dyno tests, and then it only just barely failed. I probably could have got it to pass by putting that junk in the gas tank right before the inspection.

I would think that the road side sniffers are only there to pick up the vehicles that are fogging up the freeway.

This is interesting though, because this is the first I've ever heard of road side sniffers...

Kris
11-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Those things can't be that accurate... Besides the actually sniffer tests aren't that hard to pass. Heck, I had an old car that was noticably burning oil and had no cats and passed the sniffer test every year until they started to require the dyno tests, and then it only just barely failed. I probably could have got it to pass by putting that junk in the gas tank right before the inspection.

I would think that the road side sniffers are only there to pick up the vehicles that are fogging up the freeway.

This is interesting though, because this is the first I've ever heard of road side sniffers...

They have them on 360 by the job. Take look on your way in.

PoorSvtman
11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
They have been using them in ftworth mainly on south 35 for about a year.. Just started moving them around on 20 and hulen area....

Mark #2
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Must have been the day for them.
Went through two of them today in the L, one at Spring Creek and 75, one a Spring Valley and 75 after seeing Tliss at Wally world at lunchtime(had to buy a progressive scan DVD player to hook up to a loaner projector I got for the weekend).

SIL02SVT
11-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Whats a road side sniffer test, If i'm right from what you guys posted it has something to do with emmissions am i correct.:tu:

WA 2 FST
11-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Must have been the day for them.
Went through two of them today in the L, one a Spring Creek and 75,

The one I went through was at Legacy and 75, southbound.

Kyle, it isn't a "test" necessarily... you don't stop or anything. It's just got a sniffing device set up by a little white trailer and its marked with cones... they are typically set up at one-lane entrance ramps to freeways. That way you can't get around it. There is a camera there that records your rear liscense plate as you pass through.

I don't know much about them other than they are fairly common where I travel. I have avoided a few that I've been able to see before I come up on them.

I've never heard of anyone getting a citation for smog violation, but I believe the intention is to catch the gross polluters and sending them information, requiring the vehicle to be smogged under OBD-1 (load dyno) regs.

Mark #2
11-17-2006, 06:14 PM

Kyle, it isn't a "test" necessarily... you don't stop or anything. It's just got a sniffing device set up by a little white trailer and its marked with cones... they are typically set up at one-lane entrance ramps to freeways. That way you can't get around it. There is a camera there that records your rear liscense plate as you pass through.

I don't know much about them other than they are fairly common where I travel. I have avoided a few that I've been able to see before I come up on them.

I've never heard of anyone getting a citation for smog violation, but I believe the intention is to catch the gross polluters and sending them information, requiring the vehicle to be smogged under OBD-1 (load dyno) regs.
You are correct Legacy, our Spring Creek plant.:o

WA 2 FST
11-17-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/Public_information/pr100698.htm

This is old, but this provides some info for those unaware.

03LightningRocks
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM

I don't know if that one does the ticket thing or not. It's been there for a couple years. I love to put my truck in nuetral and rev up the gas as I pass it. I thought it was a contest to see who could get the highest score...:D.

WA 2 FST
11-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't know if that one does the ticket thing or not. It's been there for a couple years. I love to put my truck in nuetral and rev up the gas as I pass it. I thought it was a contest to see who could get the highest score...:D.

They move them around. This is not a stationary one. Last week it was up at Bethany and 75 in Allen. It has been moved to this location before, though. I've been through it with all my other vehicles and never thought about it.

Heck, when I had my '69 Vette I'd do what you did... rev it up and blast past it. But there aren't requirements for something that old. ;)

Mark #2
11-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Actually, you can knock/blow over the sensor with exhaust pressure if you get close to it under max boost. I go through that one often too.

gbgary
11-17-2006, 07:48 PM
i've never even heard of this. don't know if i've ever passed one. geesh!! :o

Silver_2000
11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
been through them a dozen times or more both in this truck and the old one

never a problem ..

another favorite place is the ramp from southbound Tollway to West bound 635 in the tight little valley there ....

Doug

WA 2 FST
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
been through them a dozen times or more both in this truck and the old one

never a problem ..

Doug

Yes, but you have cats on your truck, don't you?

charlie
11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
If they issued tickets with them things. I would have got one years ago.

Charlie

Silver_2000
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Yes, but you have cats on your truck, don't you?
Yes and no

Yes cats nothing in them

It wasnt intentional but they both cratered recently - I have one big chunk of the substrate as a keepsake

Doug

GoldLS1
11-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Ill be damned... I didnt know thats what those were. When I first came down here with my camaro I blew past one of those open header style!! Never got anything in the mail?? It had to set it off tho, it smelled like an old cammed carbed car.

WA 2 FST
11-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Yes and no

Yes cats nothing in them

It wasnt intentional but they both cratered recently - I have one big chunk of the substrate as a keepsake

Doug

Which is the only reason I chose not to have them installed. Same thing happened on my old Mustang. The hi-flow cats kept breaking up.

Maybe now these things are just used to monitor per capita gross polluters, and are primarily for data collection purposes? I mean, the $$ has already been spent on those machines, so they have to be used for some reason, right? ;)

We'll see. If I get a notice to get the truck inspected, I'll let you guys know.

03LightningRocks
11-18-2006, 09:56 AM
They move them around. This is not a stationary one. Last week it was up at Bethany and 75 in Allen. It has been moved to this location before, though. I've been through it with all my other vehicles and never thought about it.

Heck, when I had my '69 Vette I'd do what you did... rev it up and blast past it. But there aren't requirements for something that old. ;)

Wes,

I passed by there last night. The one sitting there now is not what is usually sitting there. The sniffer that has been sitting there for a couple years,(off and on), is a smaller box. The rig I saw there last night looked much more obvious.

Rocks

sandpiperx
11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, they been using them up here in Denton at 380 and loop 288 roll by rev up, Life is good! :tu: mp

WA 2 FST
11-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Wes,

I passed by there last night. The one sitting there now is not what is usually sitting there. The sniffer that has been sitting there for a couple years,(off and on), is a smaller box. The rig I saw there last night looked much more obvious.

Rocks

Ron,

I pride myself in being overly observant on the roads (one reason I believe I get so few tickets even with my driving habits, and never been involved in an accident in 22yrs of driving... knock, knock). But I have never seen the stationary "box" you're talking about and I take that entrance at least once a day. :tongue: I must be getting old, and I've just been humbled.

What is up there now is definitely a sniffer _and_ a camera sitting beside it to get a license plate photo.:flaming:

03LightningRocks
11-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Ron,

I pride myself in being overly observant on the roads (one reason I believe I get so few tickets even with my driving habits, and never been involved in an accident in 22yrs of driving... knock, knock). But I have never seen the stationary "box" you're talking about and I take that entrance at least once a day. :tongue: I must be getting old, and I've just been humbled.

What is up there now is definitely a sniffer _and_ a camera sitting beside it to get a license plate photo.:flaming:

I will look at it closer tonight when I go through it. Maybe it is the same sniffer with the picture taking equipment added to it. The box I have noticed there before was not this obvious. It sat low to the ground and was not lit up.

I am not so sure I would jack around with the one sitting there now. It is real obvious that this one is taking pics.

I am real bothered by the issues of accuracy when the State or City decides to issue me a citation based on this.

WA 2 FST
11-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I think the one you've seen is just part of this contraption. As you can see this one has a little "station" set up next to it (recording equipment, I'm sure), a camera, and is lined with cones.

Honestly, this same one is moved all over the Hwy 75 entrance ramps in Allen and Plano. I'm surprised this is the first time you've seen this more "official" looking one.

I don't think it will be a citation... but rather a notice that I'd have to have the vehicle smogged under the OBD-1 compliance code. This would require cats to be installed (and possibly the EGR hooked up again).

gbgary
11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
hey, someone take a picture of one. i wouldn't know what it was if i drove over it. :)

WA 2 FST
11-18-2006, 07:47 PM
hey, someone take a picture of one. i wouldn't know what it was if i drove over it. :)

Yes you would. :) You're selling yourself short. They are set up to look like a small construction crew station. There's a little trailer on wheels parked on the side, orange cones lining the curb, and then two short little probe looking things... one on each side of the lane. This is the "sniffing equipment". Then there is a camera that is positioned so that it is angled to take the pic of the back of the vehicles as they pass through.

Ohmsby
11-18-2006, 08:15 PM
I like to give em the smoke from the Cummins a little load and dump the throttle and presto cloud of black smoke :d I knew the 1 ton was good for something I would like to thank Bully Dog for the goodies

Tex Arcana
11-19-2006, 12:12 AM
I am thoroughly confused (shutup Rocks :hammer:). I usually spot things like this, especially the ones that set off my V1; this has thrown me for a loop.

Wes, where was this thing on Thursday?? And how can it catch anyone unless they are in the adjacent lane?? Isn't that a bit limiting, at the very least? :confused:

yes, someone please post a pic, I can't find squat on google. :(

L8 APEX
11-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I would not fear the man just yet. The L burns pretty clean without cats and coasting by is nearly invisible. I smoke those poor guys out so bad they can't get a picture of my plate:evil .

Silver_2000
11-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I am thoroughly confused (shutup Rocks :hammer:). I usually spot things like this, especially the ones that set off my V1; this has thrown me for a loop.

Wes, where was this thing on Thursday?? And how can it catch anyone unless they are in the adjacent lane?? Isn't that a bit limiting, at the very least? :confused:

You are confused - It has nothing to do with Radar.. The sniffers are setup on entrance ramps - so its only one lane -

http://www.rsd-remotesensing.com/images/pics/RSD3000Brochure.pdf

http://www.rsd-remotesensing.com/images/pics/usaexprsd.pdf

ESP’s Experience in Texas ESP is proud to report that on November 2, 2001 we were awarded the Texas On-road Remote Sensing program. The two-year contract valued at $3.5 million represents the largest high-emitter application of ESP’s AccuscanTM technology and methodology. At this time there are no initial reports on the progress of the Texas Remote Sensing Program. The Texas program will be a fine test of all of ESP remote sensing resources.

http://www.rsd-remotesensing.com/images/pics/onroad.gif

WA 2 FST
11-19-2006, 10:32 AM

Tex, this one was at the Legacy/75 on ramp southbound. Since there's that funny entrance area west of 75, its not actually on the service road. There's only one lane, so you have to go through it.

I'm really surprised you haven't seen one, but if you're typically in McKinney they don't put them up there as much. In Allen and Plano I've seen them every now and then along every major on-ramp down the 75 corridor. They'll have them in one spot for 3-4 days, then move it down to another.

WA 2 FST
11-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I would not fear the man just yet. The L burns pretty clean without cats and coasting by is nearly invisible.

That's what I'm hoping. With stock camming it should be pretty clean. I know a 5.0 Mustang in good tune with no cats and a mild cam will still pass OBD-1. So you're probably right. The L should not be a "gross polluter".

03LightningRocks
11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
That's what I'm hoping. With stock camming it should be pretty clean. I know a 5.0 Mustang in good tune with no cats and a mild cam will still pass OBD-1. So you're probably right. The L should not be a "gross polluter".

My L will pass the sniffer test. The visual test will get me roasted as I have no cats. I am not a big fan of removing or gutting cats in a daily driver but my L rarely gets driven on the street. So my guilt level about polluting is relieved somewhat.:cool:

WA 2 FST
11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
My L will pass the sniffer test. The visual test will get me roasted as I have no cats. I am not a big fan of removing or gutting cats in a daily driver but my L rarely gets driven on the street. So my guilt level about polluting is relieved somewhat.:cool:

Well, I don't like the smell of no cats and I don't particularly like the polluting effect. However, I see very little sense in purchasing hi-flow cats, only to have them break up in a year and then having to have them gutted anyway... or replaced again and again.

I only put ~5500 miles on my L per year.

The crazy thing is my Vette is the least polluting vehicle I own (good emissions, best gas mileage) and by far the fastest. :tongue:

Tex Arcana
11-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen a single one of these yet. Usually, I stick to McKinney, but lately I've been going to Plano (Park and Preston) for acupuncture, so I've been coming down 75 to 190 once a week (Thursdays). I know MOnica gets out and about more than I do, but she wouldn't pay attention to one of those things.

Tex Arcana
11-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I don't like the smell of no cats and I don't particularly like the polluting effect. However, I see very little sense in purchasing hi-flow cats, only to have them break up in a year and then having to have them gutted anyway... or replaced again and again.

Don't they have a warranty? What causes them to break up?

03LightningRocks
11-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually...Magnaflow highflow cats do have a warranty. Full replacement. I believe it is five years.

But you still have to deal with the issues of the installation.

Mark #2
11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Actually...Magnaflow highflow cats do have a warranty. Full replacement. I believe it is five years.

Mine have been fine for 2.8 years.

Silver_2000
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM

One year warranty

Mine went recently after 4 years

03LightningRocks
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
One year warranty

Well that sucks.

WA 2 FST
11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
One year warranty

I may end up going that route anyway.