PDA

View Full Version : Pros/cons of cutting out one set of cats?

charlie
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I was thinking of letting my local muffler shop replace my cats with 1 set of high flow cats.
How will this affect the smog test? Will it still pass inspection?
It's a 99

Thanks
Charlie

Chris94L
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Should pass, since its OBD2, all they do is plug into the computer and test for codes. On your truck, because of how it looks, they "might" actually perform a visual, but since there would be cats on it, it would pass. I have a Bassani mid-pipe on mine with their high flow cats on it, and I have to do the sniffer emissions and it passed.

BC Lightning
12-03-2006, 06:04 PM
had gutted hi flow cats on my old exhaust setup never failed emissions, but I also had the rear 02's turned off

charlie
12-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Should pass, since its OBD2, all they do is plug into the computer and test for codes. On your truck, because of how it looks, they "might" actually perform a visual, but since there would be cats on it, it would pass. I have a Bassani mid-pipe on mine with their high flow cats on it, and I have to do the sniffer emissions and it passed.

LOL I would like to see some one crawl under it and look!
Charlie

coors2003
12-04-2006, 09:20 AM
mine doesnt have cat at all, i have headders and bassani sraight pipes, but it has o2s on it and i have no codes showing i wonder if it will pass?

Chris94L
12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
mine doesnt have cat at all, i have headders and bassani sraight pipes, but it has o2s on it and i have no codes showing i wonder if it will pass?
I doubt it, on vehicles older than 96 they perform a dyno "sniffer" test which takes readings from the tailpipe.

coors2003
12-04-2006, 12:27 PM
they will only get to sniff one side since i have true duals from the headers all the way back, mine has current insp and it came with the insp report, so who knows what they did!:hammer:

projlightning
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
they will only get to sniff one side since i have true duals from the headers all the way back, mine has current insp and it came with the insp report, so who knows what they did!:hammer:

Yea I doubt it'll pass... my 93L didn't. I have Hedman shorties straight to dual 1 chamber flowmasters dumped (no cats). I usually pay between $80 to $100 for my inspection.

BC Lightning
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Yea I doubt it'll pass... my 93L didn't. I have Hedman shorties straight to dual 1 chamber flowmasters dumped (no cats). I usually pay between $80 to $100 for my inspection.

But then again since your talking about your 1993 L yours has to be sniff tested because it is 1996 or earlier, his is a 1999 L, I had no cats on mine, and had the rear 02's turned off so no codes were thrown, when they pluged the computer into the OBD2 port it passed every time

PoorSvtman
12-04-2006, 07:26 PM

IF they look at see it had true duals they have an adapter for the sniffer... But dunno what year your truck is...

96 + if you have no codes you will pass, you can have a few codes and still pass tho...Theres alot of ways around it. If you have a problem i got a inpsection connection again

L8 APEX
12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I leave the cats alone unless installing headers then I leave them off.

coors2003
12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
yea mine is a 93L so it will go thru the sniffer i have till around aug of next year, i guess ill look for the hook up:beer: