PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensors

Mark #2
12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
How many have had to replace them, mileage?
Can you clean them?
I seem to remember you could burn them off with a propane torch to clean them, a reducing atmosphere in the flame?

03LightningRocks
12-18-2006, 11:13 PM
How many have had to replace them, mileage?
Can you clean them?
I seem to remember you could burn them off with a propane torch to clean them, a reducing atmosphere in the flame?

I have replaced mine several times, but I don't think my truck is the example to base replacement time frames on. I never thought about burning them off to clean them. I never even thought about cleaning them in any way. I don't remember if they are expensive since it usually was done during some other major mod cycle.

BC Lightning
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I have replaced mine several times, but I don't think my truck is the example to base replacement time frames on. I never thought about burning them off to clean them. I never even thought about cleaning them in any way. I don't remember if they are expensive since it usually was done during some other major mod cycle.

around 80 buck at vato zone

Mark #2
12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Never replaced mine, ~7 years, they have failed a few times in the past year for slow to respond. I would reset the codes and they would last a few months.
The VP116 finally killed them.

03LightningRocks
12-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Never replaced mine, ~7 years, they have failed a few times in the past year for slow to respond. I would reset the codes and they would last a few months.
The VP116 finally killed them.

It appears I gave you some bad advice. Sorry about that. I did not think about the affects the lead could have on older(higher mileage) sensors. Mine where probably new enough that the lead didn't have a chance to gunk them up.

Beaudee
12-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Had to replace one @15 miles on my brand new truck.When mine went bad truckwas running on 4 cyls.Dropped a bank on one side.Acted up when you got on it.Truck stumbled.Took ford dealer in Lewisville 2 weeks,ford rep. and 300 miles of test driven to figure out it was an o2 sensor.Truck never threw a fault light either.They cost 55 bucks 2 years ago from ford.

Sixpipes
12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
I think I still have the originals (96K miles). :cool: