PDA

View Full Version : Looking into a new cellphone...

Tex Arcana
12-19-2006, 06:31 PM
... thinking some input from y'all would be good. :tu: So don't rake me over the coals too badly. :tongue:

My contract's up this month, elegible for an upgrade. Since I'll be doing real estate soon, I"m thinking I need a PDA phone, and I'm trying to figure out which would be the best bang for the buck. I'm with Cingular, so I'm limited to their phones, but alot tend to crossover some, so whatever input I do get will be valuable.

So, fire away, tell me your thoughts, and I appreciate the time and effort ahead of time. :beer:

TXLIGHTNING
12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
... thinking some input from y'all would be good. :tu: So don't rake me over the coals too badly. :tongue:

My contract's up this month, elegible for an upgrade. Since I'll be doing real estate soon, I"m thinking I need a PDA phone, and I'm trying to figure out which would be the best bang for the buck. I'm with Cingular, so I'm limited to their phones, but alot tend to crossover some, so whatever input I do get will be valuable.

So, fire away, tell me your thoughts, and I appreciate the time and effort ahead of time. :beer: Have you checked out the new BlackJack from Cingular?

BC Lightning
12-19-2006, 07:12 PM

So, fire away, tell me your thoughts, and I appreciate the time and effort ahead of time. :beer:

The Blackjack is cool, but Cingular also has a Microsoft based Pocket PC I've been looking at, touchscreen all the bells and whistles, and has a a full keypad the slides, I love my Sidekick 3 because of the full keypad, and I hate sending texts of my Razr, so I'll probably be getting the Pocket PC so I can have 2 phones with keypads

Ohmsby
12-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Crackberry:D

Tex Arcana
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
The Blackjack is cool, but Cingular also has a Microsoft based Pocket PC I've been looking at, touchscreen all the bells and whistles, and has a a full keypad the slides, I love my Sidekick 3 because of the full keypad, and I hate sending texts of my Razr, so I'll probably be getting the Pocket PC so I can have 2 phones with keypads

That's the one that slides sideways, and the screen changes from portrait to landscape mode?? I looked at that, thought it would have a better keyboard than the others. Does it also have a touchscreen?

Beaudee
12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
http://www.nannytotherescue.com/assets/images/can-phone.jpg :d

Silver_2000
12-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Palm is supposed to have new treo coming out soon

None of the Blackberrys have touch screens and some of the smaller ones have keyboards with 2 letters per key

I use a treo 650 - there is a slight buzz or something in it but its been dropped a few times and its going on 3 years old

I have friends that use windows mobile devices - it all depends on how big a phone you want

Tex Arcana
12-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Palm is supposed to have new treo coming out soon

None of the Blackberrys have touch screens and some of the smaller ones have keyboards with 2 letters per key

I use a treo 650 - there is a slight buzz or something in it but its been dropped a few times and its going on 3 years old

I have friends that use windows mobile devices - it all depends on how big a phone you want

I've been doing a bit of surfing on them, and the Cingular 8525 looks interesting, with the slide-over display and keyboard, cNet rates it fairly highly for a smartphone. I'm not too thirlled with those tiny keyboards the blackberries/ipaqs/treos have. cNet didn't like the treos much, either.

I want compact, but with a half-decent keyboard. Asking alot, but my idea of a good phone is one that I can drop into my front pocket easily without it being conspicuous. I know I can't get that with a smartphone, but that's where my comparisons tend to go.

Silver_2000
12-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I've been doing a bit of surfing on them, and the Cingular 8525 looks interesting, with the slide-over display and keyboard, cNet rates it fairly highly for a smartphone. I'm not too thirlled with those tiny keyboards the blackberries/ipaqs/treos have. cNet didn't like the treos much, either.

I want compact, but with a half-decent keyboard. Asking alot, but my idea of a good phone is one that I can drop into my front pocket easily without it being conspicuous. I know I can't get that with a smartphone, but that's where my comparisons tend to go.
The treo is the most popular smart phone
You are looking for a phone that doesnt exist.

Tex Arcana
12-21-2006, 08:27 PM

well, we all know about "popularity", in that it doesn't necessarily mean it's the *best*. ;)

Yeah, I am; but I can apply the criteria toward what I'm looking for, and find the best package that approaches what I want and need. :cool:

Lyfisin
12-22-2006, 08:31 AM
My contract's up this month, ..... I'm with Cingular, so I'm limited to their phones,

If your contract is up, why are you limited to Cingular phones? You can have your number ported to any carrier you want.

I don't have any comment on PDA phones more than what others have said. The Samsung Blackjack replaced the Motorola Q as the thinnest phone on the market. The buttons on all the PDAs are small, but you can get bigger buttons on the Blackberry if you don't mind having multiple letters on one key.

I just can't get into the smart phones.

A couple of guys in my group use them and neither one of them like them. One has a Q and the other a Treo. The guy with the Treo doesn't care for the interface because it's a pain to make calls. He says the keys are too small for his fingers and it's a hassle to make phone calls which is what he uses it for 99% of the time.

The gal with the Q likes the phone operationally, but doesn't particularly care for the battery life. Her fingers are smaller so maybe the key size doesn't bother her.

It's kinda funny. I sit right across from the guys who test all of our new product and I could literally have pretty much any phone in our inventory even before they hit the market. I'm still using my 2+ year old LG-6000. :o

As soon as the guy who has it gets done testing it though, I'm going to try and get my hands on the Black Carbon.

http://www.samsungblackcarbon.com/

Sorry for getting a little :0fftopic. Just remember when you're paying the big $ for a PDA phone, if you end up buying a feature you don't use, it's not a feature.

Tex Arcana
12-22-2006, 11:08 PM
If your contract is up, why are you limited to Cingular phones? You can have your number ported to any carrier you want.

I don't have any comment on PDA phones more than what others have said. The Samsung Blackjack replaced the Motorola Q as the thinnest phone on the market. The buttons on all the PDAs are small, but you can get bigger buttons on the Blackberry if you don't mind having multiple letters on one key.

I just can't get into the smart phones.

A couple of guys in my group use them and neither one of them like them. One has a Q and the other a Treo. The guy with the Treo doesn't care for the interface because it's a pain to make calls. He says the keys are too small for his fingers and it's a hassle to make phone calls which is what he uses it for 99% of the time.

The gal with the Q likes the phone operationally, but doesn't particularly care for the battery life. Her fingers are smaller so maybe the key size doesn't bother her.

It's kinda funny. I sit right across from the guys who test all of our new product and I could literally have pretty much any phone in our inventory even before they hit the market. I'm still using my 2+ year old LG-6000. :o

As soon as the guy who has it gets done testing it though, I'm going to try and get my hands on the Black Carbon.

http://www.samsungblackcarbon.com/

Sorry for getting a little :0fftopic. Just remember when you're paying the big $ for a PDA phone, if you end up buying a feature you don't use, it's not a feature.

Well, I like Cingular/AT&T, and it still seems that, even tho there were changes/acquisitions and such, they still treat us very well, and I hope that's based on our long history with them. :tu: So, I tend to stick with what's worked for us.

As for the PDA phone: I'll need the email access and the PIM/tasks features to keep me on track and organized, so they won't get totally wasted.

Discussion's over, anyhow, 'cuz I just pulled the trigger on the Cingular 8525 today. I think it's going to work for me, especially as soon as I figure out how to make it work the way I want it. It's a tad bulkier than the ones you mentioned, but the QWERTY keypad is very easy to use. :cool:, and the screen is excellent. It even has decent handwriting recognition, which will be useful as well. :)

edit: saw the cheaper versions of the carbon in the cingular store today, didn't consider it, but wifey dismissed it out of hand, ended up with one of the simple, basic Samsung flips phones for $30. :cool:

MachineAddict
12-23-2006, 08:53 AM

I too have the Treo 650 running on Palm OS. The new 700's were supposed to be the best there is running with Windows but they weren't secure at all. If I remember correctly you can get the 700 (almost exactly the same as the 650 except for a couple of different keys) to run on the Palm OS and be good. There's also the 680 but I'm not certain it's available for Cingular just yet. I highly reccomend the Treo, you can get it to do just about anything you need if you have the proper software and knowledge.

Check out www.mytreo.net (http://www.mytreo.net) for the latest in Treo and other smartphone news and updates.

Silver_2000
12-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Discussion's over, anyhow, 'cuz I just pulled the trigger on the Cingular 8525 today. I think it's going to work for me, especially as soon as I figure out how to make it work the way I want it. It's a tad bulkier than the ones you mentioned, but the QWERTY keypad is very easy to use. :cool:, and the screen is excellent. It even has decent handwriting recognition, which will be useful as well. :)
. :cool:
http://business.cingular.com/businesscenter/8525/images/cingular_8525_promo.jpg

Now THATS a Geek Beacon .... :rll::rll:

Tex Arcana
12-23-2006, 04:07 PM
http://business.cingular.com/businesscenter/8525/images/cingular_8525_promo.jpg

Now THATS a Geek Beacon .... :rll::rll:

:grimace: yeah, I know... I'm gonna do my damnedest to keep it hidden, so I don't get swarmed by rabid geeks..

tiffo60
12-25-2006, 09:28 AM
i just got the new blackjack from samsung its seems pretty coolknana

Lyfisin
12-25-2006, 09:39 AM
It does look like a pretty cool phone. Hang on to it. It may be a collector's item someday. :tongue:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/54698.html