PDA

View Full Version : Piston to cylinder wall clearance?

charlie
12-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I did a search on different boards and I came up with all kinds of #'s. And all sorts of different people clamming they "know". I have never put forged pistons in a daily driver...... Till now.

I have bought stock 5.4 bore Manley pistons. The block is .0001 under stock bore and in perfect shape.

My question is. Exactly.... How much bigger should the bore be over the piston Dia., for less piston slap noise?

Thanks
Charlie

charlie
12-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Can some one at least point me in the right direction?

Charlie

Mark #2
12-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Can some one at least point me in the right direction?

Charlie
http://www.modularfords.com/articles/Modular_Motor_Build_Up__Part_3__Engine_Block_Prepa ration_II/1.html

BigBobsL
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
The answer depends on piston and the amount of horsepower that will be made. More horsepower will mean more heat. I have 0.004" clearance for one built L motor and it is quiet. I am building a turbo motor and expect much more power from it, the clearance for it will be 0.005" - 0.0055". It will be a little louder I am sure. Back 30 years ago we ran forged pistons at 0.010" or so, they were loud when cold. The new alloys and designs permit tighter clearances.

charlie
12-22-2006, 11:10 PM
My plan is a 10 sec. DD I don't want to compromise to much longevity for noise. So far I'm thinking .0035 But it's not too late to change my mind.

The block is stock bore.... At the moment it's actually .001 under stock bore.
The pistons and rods are Manley. (JDM lower end kit).

Thanks for the feed back
Charlie