PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Question

dboat
12-22-2006, 07:47 PM
As some of you may know, I own a couple of guns that I bought in the late
70's. I have a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, blue, with scope rings that is in like new condition. I am having it cleaned and tested right now. I has had less than 50 shots fired through it. There are no scratches etc. It really could pass for new.. anyway, the archery place I go to deals with used firearms and the owner offered me $250 for it. I went over to the Ruger website and the suggested retail for a new one now is $775-835. You cant use it to hunt in PA because its a semi-auto. I wanted to get some feedback on the offer.
So speak up!!

I also have a Ruger Speed Six, 9mm revolver that is also being cleaned up as well, bought the same time as the rifle. It has had a couple of hundred or so shots fired through it, plus I have the rubber grips along with the stock wood grips for it.. I am not too interested in selling it as I like having it around for self protection.

Dana

L8 APEX
12-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I think Moonshine has an eye on the revolver. Being the Sgt at Arms and all;)

dboat
12-22-2006, 10:57 PM
I think Moonshine has an eye on the revolver. Being the Sgt at Arms and all;)

I would certainly give him first dibs if I were to sell it..

anyone else have an idea on the rifle?

bdi318
12-23-2006, 08:34 AM
First of all, DO NOT SELL it. I would love to have it. To protect you on this I am going to give you alittle advise. That rifle is a pre-ban rifle. Meaning that the govt. hadn't put any restrictions on the thing. I just purchased a Mini-14 Ranch, stainless with a poly stock. 3-30 round clips and 200 rounds of ammo. also a scope. The total on all of it was 647. here in the great state of Texas. Your pre-ban mini-14 is worth that...striped!. Use the rifle, enjoy the rifle, keep the rifle, just don't give it away.
As some of you may know, I own a couple of guns that I bought in the late
70's. I have a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, blue, with scope rings that is in like new condition. I am having it cleaned and tested right now. I has had less than 50 shots fired through it. There are no scratches etc. It really could pass for new.. anyway, the archery place I go to deals with used firearms and the owner offered me $250 for it. I went over to the Ruger website and the suggested retail for a new one now is $775-835. You cant use it to hunt in PA because its a semi-auto. I wanted to get some feedback on the offer.
So speak up!!

I also have a Ruger Speed Six, 9mm revolver that is also being cleaned up as well, bought the same time as the rifle. It has had a couple of hundred or so shots fired through it, plus I have the rubber grips along with the stock wood grips for it.. I am not too interested in selling it as I like having it around for self protection.

Dana

dboat
12-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Robert, what do you mean by pre-ban?

I do know that there is a ton of stuff for them and that there are a lot of guys (not me) that have made them fully auto with a little machining..
Dana

First of all, DO NOT SELL it. I would love to have it. To protect you on this I am going to give you alittle advise. That rifle is a pre-ban rifle. Meaning that the govt. hadn't put any restrictions on the thing. I just purchased a Mini-14 Ranch, stainless with a poly stock. 3-30 round clips and 200 rounds of ammo. also a scope. The total on all of it was 647. here in the great state of Texas. Your pre-ban mini-14 is worth that...striped!. Use the rifle, enjoy the rifle, keep the rifle, just don't give it away.

L8 APEX
12-23-2006, 09:38 AM
The assault weapons ban ended in 2004.
http://www.awbansunset.com/

03LightningRocks
12-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Dana,

That guy is trying to stick it to you if he is offering 250 bucks. He can turn that gun before the day is out for 600 bucks easy.

I will give you a different piece of advice. Some of the slickest, most conniving folks in existence, are gun owners. Especially gun owners that have managed to work their way into bartering/selling firearms. They love guys who come along with their old gun collection, knowing little or nothing about the value of said guns.

Don't do it......

The pre ban vs post ban issue is more of a date thing, now that the ban expired. Pre ban guns are typically worth more.

The damned Democrats are going to reinstate the ban just as soon as they get back in office. The gun will double in value, overnight.

dboat
12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys:tu: , thats why I come here for the sage wisdom of most. I think I will get it back after being cleaned up, make sure its good and oiled, and put it back up in its case for a while. I will need to get it out and re-oil on an occasional basis, esp since it had been over a decade since the last time I did it.

He had originally said $300 and I was ready to take that and then dropped the offer to $250:( , which made me hesitate and come back here for the advice.

Dana

03LightningRocks
12-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys:tu: , thats why I come here for the sage wisdom of most. I think I will get it back after being cleaned up, make sure its good and oiled, and put it back up in its case for a while. I will need to get it out and re-oil on an occasional basis, esp since it had been over a decade since the last time I did it.

He had originally said $300 and I was ready to take that and then dropped the offer to $250:( , which made me hesitate and come back here for the advice.

Dana

You don't need to have so much oil on it that you can see the oil. Just oil it and then wipe the oil off. Oil build up on a firearm collects dust.

Your actually lucky he got greedy. 300 bucks would have been just as big a fock job as 250.

Ivanhoe_Farms
12-23-2006, 08:57 PM

Dana

The Texas Highway Patrol is switching from mini-14s to AR-15s and has offered to sell the patrolmen the weapon they carry for $300. There is a deputy here in Fannin county who has called all his DPW buddies and offered them $350 for them sight unseen.

These are .223 rifles not the 7.62 X 39, but I would think they would bring the same amount although the 7.62 may actually bring more. Even though the "assualt ban" was not renewed, the rifles from the "pre-ban" era will carry a premium. If you are dead set on selling it , and he is a real buddy, add the two numbers together :tu:

my2002lightning
12-24-2006, 03:15 AM
anyone else have an idea on the rifle?

Dana,

I'm not one to tell another what to do, but you should hang on to this rifle!

Yes, oil her down externally and wipe off any excess with a clean terry-cloth,etc., bore-snake it a few times and then with some Hoppes run a few patches for clean-up and you should be good for years.

She's a keeper, IMO.:cool:

dboat
12-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Dana,

I'm not one to tell another what to do, but you should hang on to this rifle!

Yes, oil her down externally and wipe off any excess with a clean terry-cloth,etc., bore-snake it a few times and then with some Hoppes run a few patches for clean-up and you should be good for years.

She's a keeper, IMO.:cool:

what is bore-snake and Hoppes?

Thanks for the advice, I am clearing asking for guidance and want opinions.

Dana

my2002lightning
12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Dana,

To answer your question: Boresnake (http://www.eabco.com/BorSnake.html) and Hoppes (http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=6342753&catky=9946092&subcatky1=4548836&subcatky2=2000129). Regarding, a good cleaning cloth, I should have been more specific as to any of the better soft flannel cloths out on the market.

Ronald

what is bore-snake and Hoppes?

Thanks for the advice, I am clearing asking for guidance and want opinions.

Dana

dboat
12-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Dana,

To answer your question: Boresnake (http://www.eabco.com/BorSnake.html) and Hoppes (http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=6342753&catky=9946092&subcatky1=4548836&subcatky2=2000129). Regarding, a good cleaning cloth, I should have been more specific as to any of the better soft flannel cloths out on the market.

Ronald

Thanks, I appreciate it..

Dana

Moonshine
12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Did a little searching and found several blued Mini 14 Ranch Rifles in 90% or better condition for $450-$550. based on that, I'd say your rifle is currently worth right around $500. As pointed out, with the sunset of the AWB, there's no different value for pre or post ban guns, since there's no longer any such thing as pre or post. Overall, unless you need or want $500 I'd say just hang on to it. They are nice rifles, fun to shoot, and never a bad thing to have. Your dealers' $250-300 offer is lowball, even considering that they need to turn a profit. As mentioned clean it, lube it, put it back in the closet, and it'll be there if you ever need it.

dboat
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Did a little searching and found several blued Mini 14 Ranch Rifles in 90% or better condition for $450-$550. based on that, I'd say your rifle is currently worth right around $500. As pointed out, with the sunset of the AWB, there's no different value for pre or post ban guns, since there's no longer any such thing as pre or post. Overall, unless you need or want $500 I'd say just hang on to it. They are nice rifles, fun to shoot, and never a bad thing to have. Your dealers' $250-300 offer is lowball, even considering that they need to turn a profit. As mentioned clean it, lube it, put it back in the closet, and it'll be there if you ever need it.

Brian, thanks, I really appreciate it.. heck, I might even have to go shoot it a couple of times, clean it and then put it back up..

Dana

dboat
12-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Update on this situation..

Well I told him that I was going to keep the gun, but apparently there was a misunderstanding.. he meant to say that we would trade me a new bow that I was looking at for the gun plus $250.. The price of the bow is $600-625..

I am thinking that I may do the trade but only at the rate of the gun plus $100 for the bow.. I dont use the gun and I would use the bow, but would have to spend a fair amount on the bow getting it set up..

Dana

03LightningRocks
12-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Well I told him that I was going to keep the gun, but apparently there was a misunderstanding.. he meant to say that we would trade me a new bow that I was looking at for the gun plus $250.. The price of the bow is $600-625..

I am thinking that I may do the trade but only at the rate of the gun plus $100 for the bow.. I dont use the gun and I would use the bow, but would have to spend a fair amount on the bow getting it set up..

Dana

Just sell the gun for 600, and then go Bow shopping. Check around on bows before jumping in with both feet.

Beaudee
12-31-2006, 02:21 AM

Dana
Check out the Bowtec Mission OBS here.280 bucks off.Its 677 to your door with everything. http://www.huntersfriend.com/2006-Bowtech-Mission/holiday-mission-compound-bow.htm

L8 APEX
12-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Did you know an arrow will go in and out of a ballistic vest!

Beaudee
12-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Did you know an arrow will go in and out of a ballistic vest!
I know they go threw stop signs

dboat
12-31-2006, 07:09 AM
I am looking at a 2006 Hoyt Ultratec in camo.. those arrows jump off of those things at about 300 fps.. There is some badass stuff out there for bows.. they are very quiet too... if you have the right tip on the arrow they go all the way thru most anything.. what I thought was strange is the flat steel or rubber tipped arrows for shooting squirrels..

I am still considering this.. it would be my target bow, not a hunting bow, so it will have a powered scope on it, etc..

thanks, i need all the suggestions I can get...

Dana

Beaudee
12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
I changed my mind about the Hoyt i was looking @.Of course the Mathews Switchback is sweet $$$$,but i will probally go with a Bowtech.I am supposed to go hunting in 2 weeks and still havent decided on a bow or shot one in years.My guide says i only have to be accurate within 20 feet.Bowtech bought Diamond and make nice bows from what i here.

dboat
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I changed my mind about the Hoyt i was looking @.Of course the Mathews Switchback is sweet $$$$,but i will probally go with a Bowtech.I am supposed to go hunting in 2 weeks and still havent decided on a bow or shot one in years.My guide says i only have to be accurate within 20 feet.Bowtech bought Diamond and make nice bows from what i here.

I currently shoot a Hoyt Trykon XL (2006) and got the wife a Hoyt Selena (in red).. so we will keep it in the Hoyt family.. its also one of the brands that the local archery shop sells and services..

but I have read good things about Bowtech.. except there have been a few posts in regard to the quality of the finish (like that will matter after you drag it through the woods a time or two).. good luck!

Dana

Beaudee
01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I currently shoot a Hoyt Trykon XL (2006) and got the wife a Hoyt Selena (in red).. so we will keep it in the Hoyt family.. its also one of the brands that the local archery shop sells and services..

but I have read good things about Bowtech.. except there have been a few posts in regard to the quality of the finish (like that will matter after you drag it through the woods a time or two).. good luck!

DanaI bought a Bowtech from sportsmans warehouse.Its called Vital Impact.After tuning it i can hit a softball @ 30 yards everytime.I love it!!Has the true glow sights and the wisker bisquit rest.I should have some first deer picks with a bow next week.:banana:

dboat
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I bought a Bowtech from sportsmans warehouse.Its called Vital Impact.After tuning it i can hit a softball @ 30 yards everytime.I love it!!Has the true glow sights and the wisker bisquit rest.I should have some first deer picks with a bow next week.:banana:

There really are a lot of very good bows out on the market these days, so I dont get hung up on this brand or that brand.. The Bowtech's have a good rep for them.. I have only been doing this for a couple of months but have progressed to about the level you mention above in this period of time.

Good luck hunting..

Dana

dboat
01-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Well, I made the deal for the bow by trading the gun. Got a fair deal. The gun had some value but not a huge amount and since I havent shot it in over 15 years, doubt that I will miss it.

For those that want to know, I got a brand new 2006 Hoyt ProTec. I will be setting it up as a target bow, so will have to order a scope, etc.. for it..

My other gun is a Ruger Speed Six 9mm revolver. It a very nice looking gun and it too is coming up on 30 yrs old and not a lot of shots thru it. It is all nice and clean and no rust. It has wooden handles plus I have rubber replacements as well.

In watching a show on OLN, Personal Defense TV, I am now thinking of having a personal gun that would have subsonic ammunition and a suppressor. I dont think that the revolver would make a good choice for this since its an older gun and in pristine condition.

But what gun is ultra reliable, reasonably priced and can easily be converted to use a suppressor?

Dana

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Dana,

It is really hard to suppress a revolver effectively because of the gap between the cylinder and barrel.

A suppressor requires a federal tax stamp which was at one time $5 for a fixed suppressor and $200 for a removable suppressor. A suppressor is build for a limited number of rounds before the baffles need to be replaced.

If you are talking about sub-sonic, I would definitely recommend a .45 auto because the smaller bullets loose too much energy -- energy is defined as mass times velocity squared, and since you are reducing rounds to sub-sonic the difference in energy is mass. For example, a 9mm becomes very ineffective subsonic.:o

Generally speaking the suppressor is going to weigh as much or more than a lightweight pistol for which it is made, IE if you had a suppressor on a Colt Defender, the can would weigh as much or more than the pistol empty.

Then there is the ATFE which you give additional capabilities when you have a registered device . . . . . . . .:mad:

L8 APEX
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
The best part of a suppressor is that it eats all of the muzzle flash. This could be more critical at night. A light source lessens that shock at night, always have a good light. Most cans are 6-7" long and cost about 600 bucks plus the 200 fed fee. The Hk Mark23 SOCOM is the best suppressed rig I have ever fired period. It was quieter than a paintball gun all day long. That is about a 2 thousand dollar pistol kit though before the suppressor.

dboat
01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Terry and Milton, that is the kind of post that I needed.. the revolver is a
9mm.
But if someone comes in the house at night, I wont think to grab hearing protection.. so I want to grab a gun that will stop the intruder, not damage my hearing and contain the muzzle flash.. one could put a light on the gun itself, but not sure that I would remember to turn it on, plus keep the batteries fresh..
just something to keep at the bedside table..

Thanks a ton
Dana

L8 APEX
01-12-2007, 02:35 AM
I saw a new Mini14 at Gander Moutain for 686. They had a lot of black rifles...

03LightningRocks
01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
If you are looking for a gun to use as home defense, get a shot gun. There is nothing more dangerous than a person with no experience trying to fire a pistol under the stressful circumstances of self defense. Holy $h!t, pistol rounds go right through walls and can hit innocent neighbors or your own loved ones. You can miss and have the perp shove your own gun up your as$. GET A SHOTGUN............NOT A PISTOL!!!

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-12-2007, 05:41 PM
If you are looking for a gun to use as home defense, get a shot gun. There is nothing more dangerous than a person with no experience trying to fire a pistol under the stressful circumstances of self defense. Holy $h!t, pistol rounds go right through walls and can hit innocent neighbors or your own loved ones. You can miss and have the perp shove your own gun up your as$. GET A SHOTGUN............NOT A PISTOL!!!

I second that and would go one further to say get a PUMP shotgun because everyone in the world knows the sound of a shotgun being racked, and if they do not leave the house, you are going to have to kill them because they are either on drugs or too dumb to live :cool:

Beaudee
01-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I bought a Bowtech from sportsmans warehouse.Its called Vital Impact.After tuning it i can hit a softball @ 30 yards everytime.I love it!!Has the true glow sights and the wisker bisquit rest.I should have some first deer picks with a bow next week.:banana:

Ended up going to Oklahoma and my grandma forgot to put corn in the feeders.I got nothing but the Flu and saw only 2 deer with no shot possibilities.I was there when the ice and snow went through last week.Nice to get away for a few though.