PDA

View Full Version : Blew The Motor

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I need a place to take my truck. For a BUILT motor. I blew the motor last year (2005) It involved shattering TWO rods and cracking 4. Plus probably a hole in the bloc, i don't exactly know.

Well this past Friday (the 22) at about 90mph off the boost, i looked in the rear view mirror and all i saw was SMOKE! Stopped the truck and the whole under carriage was covered in oil, and it was still draining oil.

Motor #1 blew up... 12/12/05
Motor #2 blew up... 12/22/06

So.... i need a place to tear it down and inspect the damage and then decide if we can just build up the stock block and heads, or if i have to get a built short/long block.

Any ideas? I live in Rockwall, TX.... East of Dallas.

HPP Tuned it... so they are a consideration. I did see a black L in Arlington for sale and it had Terrys sticker in the bottom left corner so he came to mind!

FRDRCING
12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I would look at Terry for the motor. But don't let Hpp tune it, they don't know crap about lightnings.

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 09:30 AM
hpp tuned and you blew it twice and your still thinking about taking it back to them:hammer:

take it to terry:tu:

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I blew it last year under a tune from Dallas Mustang. This year was tuned by HPP.

Hmm.... i'm glad i already have Terrys number! I forgot about him till i saw his sticker yesterday.

Logan
12-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Amazes me that anyone in a L or HD would let anyone other than Terry touch their truck in DFW... Expensive lesson to learn...

Sorry to hear about the truck Fuzion...

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Yea.... i know alot of Cobra guys that go to HPP, and i know Manny outside of HPP.

Time to get a loan from the bank and get it towed to PR

WA 2 FST
12-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Blake,

I've yet to have to build a motor, but I also concur with taking it to Terry. He's just a trip west on I-20 for you. No way in Hades I'd let DuMP touch anything I own, and I don't know anything about HPP. Still Terry will do it right.

I'm surprised to hear the new block (was it an OEM replacement?) let go just cruising. :(

All the best to you!

wesman
12-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Yea.... i know alot of Cobra guys that go to HPP, and i know Manny outside of HPP.

Time to get a loan from the bank and get it towed to PR

Indeed, HPP knows their Mustangs....however the L and Mustang have little in common besides the blue oval. This is not the first I've heard of a HPP L having troubles....I'd go to someone who specializes in L's and that would be Terry

--wes

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 12:06 PM
WA 2 FST
Yes it was actually a motor from AER. http://www.aermanufacturing.com/manufac/index.html

So i had that motor in my truck for less than a year. I WAS racing.... just earlier in the evening, so i believe i might of hurt it then and then it finally just let go.

wesman
Thanks. I hadn't been told anything bad about them. Live and ya learn!

----

To make this even better, i got side swiped a few weeks prior to and the insurance company just called and said it was not my fault so they will be giving me money to fix the side of my truck. WooHoo! :banana:

03LightningRocks
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I think one of the problems some of these Mustang tuners have with tuning Lightnings has to do with the load of a 5000 lb truck vs a 3500 lb mustang. You can tune a Mustang on a dyno and pretty much get real close to the load of wot on the road. A lightning on the other hand weighs 1500 lbs more and a dyno cannot simulate wot road conditions for this. These guys probably don't realize that they have to compensate for this in their tunes. I bet this causes a Lightning to go extremely lean when under wot on the highway.

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Even better.... i'm in a Harley, not a Lightning. I knew i was pushing it, i saw it coming.

Mod list:
Cog Pulley Setup w/ 6lb lower, 2.93 upper - Steigy Stage 4 Port- Dynatech LT - LFP Dual Pass Heat Exhanger - LFP E-Fans - C&L Intake Plenum - SBTB - CAI - NGK BR7ef plugs- EGR Delete - SCT Xcalibur 2

and a SCT BA 2400 sitting on my desk i got the day before i blew it up.

It put down 425rwHP and 500rwTQ

charlie
12-29-2006, 02:36 PM
OK am I missing something here?
Your driving 80 mph (not under boost)
The tune has what to do with oil all under neath the under carriage?

Yes I know Terry is the one to go to. And I have talked to HPP racing, since they are 5 miles from my house. And no I'm not taking mine to them. But I did not think they could do anything to the tune to make the engine pop just cruising @ 80. At least not anything that would not be noticed right off the bat. Let alone a year later.

Charlie

Sixpipes
12-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Didn't happen on the 3rd to OD shift did it? :evil

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 02:38 PM
OK am I missing something here?
Your driving 80 mph (not under boost)
The tune has what to do with oil all under neath the under carriage?

Yes I know Terry is the one to go to. And I have talked to HPP racing, since they are 5 miles from my house. And no I'm not taking mine to them. But I did not think they could do anything to the tune to make the engine pop just cruising @ 80. At least not anything that would not be noticed right off the bat. Let alone a year later.

Charlie

he said he was beating on it right before that so probally alread damaged it but it didnt let go till a little while later

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 02:40 PM
So i had that motor in my truck for less than a year. I WAS racing.... just earlier in the evening, so i believe i might of hurt it then and then it finally just let go.

heres what he said

charlie
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
he said he was beating on it right before that so probally alread damaged it but it didnt let go till a little while later

OK so I did miss so I did miss something.... But still .... a year after the tune? Sorry but I would be more inclined to think it was a mechanical failure. But I've been wrong before.

Just MHO take it to Terry and have him do everything. The build and the tune. That way you will know it's been done right.

Good luck with the next one.
Charlie

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
It got tuned Dec. 11th. Prior to the 11th i was running the same tune i had from Dallas Mustang, but with the cold weather coming i wanted to get it retuned to try and prevent this.

Not saying it was HPPs fault, i know it was my own... i was the one driving, so it couldn't of been anyone elses fault.

Six Pipes.
No OD is always off when i race.

RSVT
12-29-2006, 02:58 PM
is it easier to build the motor when u blow it out or is it the same as not , im thinkin of gettin it built,and sell all my parts and get a kenne Bell w/ my income tax

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 03:03 PM
is it easier to build the motor when u blow it out or is it the same as not , im thinkin of gettin it built,and sell all my parts and get a kenne Bell w/ my income tax

when you blow it you have a real good chance of junking the block, it you build before you blow it u can still reuse the block and save a little coin

wesman
12-29-2006, 03:24 PM
when you blow it you have a real good chance of junking the block, it you build before you blow it u can still reuse the block and save a little coin

Or sell the motor as a whole for $1500 or so to someone that needs one that can't get the coin for a built block.

I'd buy a new block if building....definitely the best way to insure there hasn't been any block flex, fatigue etc.

--wes

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I got told over at SVTP to check out this place
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/Dan03mach/gearhead3.jpg

Does Terry build his motors in house, or how does he go about?

WA 2 FST
12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Or sell the motor as a whole for $1500 or so to someone that needs one that can't get the coin for a built block.

I'd buy a new block if building....definitely the best way to insure there hasn't been any block flex, fatigue etc.

--wes

:tu: I agree 100%

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 03:38 PM

all in house

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Awesome. That is more than likely where it will go, and thats where i should of gone to got it tuned.

liteitup
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM

--wes

On the other hand, I prefer a block that has been "seasoned". Not saying you're wrong, just that there are two schools of thought on this issue.

And as a shameless plug, I have one of the aforementioned pull out motors if anyone needs one

wesman
12-29-2006, 04:28 PM
On the other hand, I prefer a block that has been "seasoned". Not saying you're wrong, just that there are two schools of thought on this issue.

And as a shameless plug, I have one of the aforementioned pull out motors if anyone needs one

Most folks that build motors prefer a new block....no issues. There is "seasoned", say a low mile pull out. However, a block that had piston/rod problems in the first palce often score the cylinders and needs to be sleeved/cleaned up etc. This all leads to fatigue, no way around that.

I've had quite a few blocks built, and the ones that started out new seemed to last a bit longer than the "seasoned" variety....that's just a prettied up word for "used and abused" generally :beer:

I know there are other opinions, and I'm cool with that. It's similar to break in routines. Some say 500 miles easy before giving much boost/WOT etc, others say break it in like you'll drive it. I'm in the middle on this one :)

--wes

charlie
12-29-2006, 04:29 PM

I just called that place. Just checking the prices. They wanted a grand to assemble my short block. That did include having it honed.

Charlie

tiffo60
12-29-2006, 04:37 PM
ive never heard of them, but i would say go with who's proven, as terry has proven himself time and time again

charlie
12-29-2006, 04:39 PM
ive never heard of them, but i would say go with who's proven, as terry has proven himself time and time again

Me neither..... And Not using them .

Terry is going to be your best bet. Just give him a call.

Charlie

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm glad i posted over here, i rarely get on TALON. Luckily ya'll came to mind today, thank ya'll so much for the help and guidance.

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
This is the PM i recieved over at SVTP

Hey man if you want someone that is really going to take care of you and build your motor right you need to contract Travis Franklin @ GearHeads Performance.. The number is 817-465-GEAR.. Not to take away from HPP but I have seen some of the work that the guys over there are doing and it is crap.. GearHeads has fixed alot of cars from HPP. GH's have some of the best prices around and will do it right the first time.. Travis and Randy builds the motors at the shop and goes through everything inside the motor to make sure that nothing is messed up. The are honest and will tell you exactly what you need and not B.S. you.. Just give Travis a call and talk to him about what you need done.. Tell him I sent you..

Have a good one
___

Sixpipes
12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
This is the PM i recieved over at SVTP

OK, here's the deal. T-E-R-R-Y. Any questions? :cool:

Fuzion
12-29-2006, 05:59 PM
OK, here's the deal. T-E-R-R-Y. Any questions? :cool:

No. Thank you everyone! I have seen the light... the light of a lightning! To bad i still like my 4doors.

03LightningRocks
12-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Couple of points I will clear up here.

Dallas Mustang and HPP have no business pretending to know how to tune Lightnings. Mustangs...OK. But not Lightnings. Lightnings are 5000 pound bricks. Mustangs cut through the air like butter. Just because they know how to work tuning software does not mean they know the in's and outs of tuning Lightnings.

Second point....a properly built motor should not have thrown or broken rods. That is bullsh!t. Apparently, somebody can't build motors for sh!t either. On a motor with good rods, detonation will relieve itself in the form of blown head gasket/lifted heads way before the rods will break.

I'm done now. I just wanted to make sure that folks realize that Dallas Mustang and HPP are NOT the places to go for Lightnings. Locally Terry is as good as it gets. There are a few other options around other areas, but they all, like Terry, specialize in Lightnings.

People need to quit expecting these Mustang asshats to know anything about Lightnings.

03LightningRocks
12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
I just read another post from above. Yeah right..Travis from gear heads. WTF ever!!!! Good price...again...WTF ever. A cheap ass build is just that...a cheap ass build. Don't believe for a minute that some grease monkey muther focker is going to take food off his table and put it on yours. If he's cheap...it's because he knows he ain't worth sh!t and he is using some bullsh!t parts that are not worth the waste of time.

OK...now I am done.

PoorSvtman
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
damn that sucks..... Terry is the best around... If i get to the point where im lazy and get rich terry will be the man to touch my truck. But for now i build myself...

dboat
12-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I just read another post from above. Yeah right..Travis from gear heads. WTF ever!!!! Good price...again...WTF ever. A cheap ass build is just that...a cheap ass build. Don't believe for a minute that some grease monkey muther focker is going to take food off his table and put it on yours. If he's cheap...it's because he knows he ain't worth sh!t and he is using some bullsh!t parts that are not worth the waste of time.

OK...now I am done.

Rocks, are you sure you are done? :evil

I really hate it when you sugar coat it...

Dana

BC Lightning
12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Ah the memories :rolleyes:

pics of my blown motor from a Lone Star Performance tune, another Stang shop trying to tune a Lightning, too bad I hadn't heard of TALON or Terry back July of 2002

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/220DSC000891.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/220DSC000871.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/220DSC000582.jpg

03'svtlight
12-31-2006, 12:34 AM
TRAVIS FRANKLIN?????:rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll:

diablolightning
01-02-2007, 10:41 AM

pics of my blown motor from a Lone Star Performance tune, another Stang shop trying to tune a Lightning, too bad I hadn't heard of TALON or Terry back July of 2002

Was that against me that cool night on 35?:o

CJLightning04
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM

Thats scary because i almost took my truck to them last year when i was looking for a tuner... Then i found out about terry and the truck is still holding together. As a matter of fact i need to come back to dallas for another tune sometime this month

TP Derrick D
01-03-2007, 04:21 PM
What is HHP? I know Travis, and have since '93 or '94 when he was at Arlington Motorsports. He left there and opened up Texas Hi-Performance(THP) in Arlington off Cooper street. THP was bought out by Charlie of USA Motorsport fame on Pioneer in Arlington but sold it a couple years ago to a bunch of kids so I don't go there.Travis was at both shops back & forth so we kept in touch. All of this was in my Mustang circle. I lost track of Travis past couple years but last I heard he was still driving Charlie's sponsored Mustang on the SSO circuit of Fun Ford. Need to catch up to him, where is HHP located?

TXLIGHTNING
01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
What is HHP? I know Travis, and have since '93 or '94 when he was at Arlington Motorsports. He left there and opened up Texas Hi-Performance(THP) in Arlington off Cooper street. THP was bought out by Charlie of USA Motorsport fame on Pioneer in Arlington but sold it a couple years ago to a bunch of kids so I don't go there.Travis was at both shops back & forth so we kept in touch. All of this was in my Mustang circle. I lost track of Travis past couple years but last I heard he was still driving Charlie's sponsored Mustang on the SSO circuit of Fun Ford. Need to catch up to him, where is HHP located? http://www.hppracing.com/directions.html

Silver_2000
01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.hppracing.com/directions.html
Looks like hpp is what used to be speedworks
They are less than 3 miles from my house - I wont even go there for a dyno anymore.

Oh the stories from Speedworks-
:hammer: One afternoon I saw them dyno and tune Bucks old Kennebell blown F150 and he took it for a test run down 121 bypass and blew it up within 3 miles of the shop - later the same day they blew up a mustang on the dyno. Another time a kid in a mustang got off the dyno and tried to show off in front of the shop on the dirt road and ended up wrecking hit car into the big rock on the other side of the ditch in front of the shop.

Thats just the easy ones to remember

PoorSvtman
01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks like hpp is what used to be speedworks
They are less than 3 miles from my house - I wont even go there for a dyno anymore.

Oh the stories from Speedworks-
:hammer: One afternoon I saw them dyno and tune Bucks old Kennebell blown F150 and he took it for a test run down 121 bypass and blew it up within 3 miles of the shop - later the same day they blew up a mustang on the dyno. Another time a kid in a mustang got off the dyno and tried to show off in front of the shop on the dirt road and ended up wrecking hit car into the big rock on the other side of the ditch in front of the shop.

Thats just the easy ones to remember

what do you expect from a shop that was run by a spoiled rich kid. mommy and daddy bought him speedworks.

BC Lightning
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
what do you expect from a shop that was run by a spoiled rich kid. mommy and daddy bought him speedworks.

the rich kid your refering to is now part owner of RPM in Lewisville :rolleyes: (that is my understanding from a reliable source, Josh might have more info though)

WA 2 FST
01-04-2007, 07:40 PM
From my understanding, Brian Lohse's mom helped he and his dad (Keith) start RPM. They did _not_ ever own Speedworks. The original owner of Speedworks was Dan Sawyer. I don't know anything about his funding, but I believe the person who bought it from him was a younger guy who was fully funded by his parents (but I could be wrong...I don't know the guy personally).

Keith worked with/for Dan for a long time, but they parted ways before Dan sold Speedworks.

Keith and Brian run a quality shop at RPM. I have nothing but good things to say about both of them. Now I guess its possible that there is another part-owner out there that you are referring to, in which case I know nothing about that side of it.

Fuzion
01-07-2007, 11:04 AM
The truck is now sitting down at Terrys. We towed it down there yesterday.

charlie
01-07-2007, 11:14 AM

:tu: Good choice.

Charlie

wesman
01-07-2007, 12:59 PM

:tu:

Good choice, he'll get you taken care of

--wes

TP Derrick D
01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.hppracing.com/directions.html

thanks for the info. funny thing the day I posted that I had a dream about my old Mustang shop(Arlington Motorsports aka AMS) when I used to go there and Keith the owner had several local names working for him that has gone on to race or own shops. 1.Joe Richardson-my crew chief and sole Mustang man has a billion connections and has worked at many Ford shops in Tarrant County as well as Supershops, Simple Quick Racing in Ft Worth, now doing work out his garage and have connections with Wolfe's, Hans Fuestel Racing engines and other local race people.worked on Ken Nelson's Drag Radial record breaking Mustang(beat & broke Big Daddy Dwayne Gutridge in FFW showdown) when he worked at AMS and before Nelson moved it to Wolfe's.Did the engine work on Rob's (02Bolt)Gen 1 Lightning except machine work which was done @ Hans Fuestel's. 2. Travis Franklin- AMS, Texas Hi-Performance, USA Motorsports, several years racing on the FFW & NMRA & World Ford circuits. 3. Creed Young-AMS,North Texas performance, a shop he open for a brief time after AMS caught fire. several years racing on FFW and maybe NMRA circuits. 4. Daniel-AMS, and owns a shop called Simple Quick Racing in far west Ft Worth that does Mustangs but mainly is LT & LS 1's. I'm probably forgetting someone but you get the picture. yesterday I was at my crew chief house along with other members of our performance posse and I asked them about HHP and they told me it was in Lewisville. I believe I have briefly heard of it but didn't know their history since its not in my area.Thanks again!!:threadhijack

BC Lightning
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
From my understanding, Brian Lohse's mom helped he and his dad (Keith) start RPM. They did _not_ ever own Speedworks. The original owner of Speedworks was Dan Sawyer. I don't know anything about his funding, but I believe the person who bought it from him was a younger guy who was fully funded by his parents (but I could be wrong...I don't know the guy personally).

Keith worked with/for Dan for a long time, but they parted ways before Dan sold Speedworks.

Keith and Brian run a quality shop at RPM. I have nothing but good things to say about both of them. Now I guess its possible that there is another part-owner out there that you are referring to, in which case I know nothing about that side of it.

I haven't been to RPM to actually see Ryan working there, but on the LS1 forums he has in his signature Ryan @ RPM, it is also the same guy who stuck Terry with all of the charges with the Red 03 L Speedworks blew up on the dyno, I know that yes if he is a "owner" it is funded by his step-father