PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Fios

jeff56
12-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Being in one of the Fios test markets, I've been thinking about making this switch for a while. I just found out that they finally added Versus (formerly OLN) to their lineup, which is what's been holding me up this whole time.

If I remember, there's a few of you here who are using Fios, so I thought I'd solicit your opinions. If you have it, have you been happy with it? I'd be going with the internet and tv.

Chris94L
12-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Have had the internet since it came out, its quick. We started with DirectTV, switched to fios tv, and ended up going back with DTV. Cant really comment on the TV since I don't watch much, but the internet is quick

Silver_2000
12-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Ive been using fios for a long time
Internet for 2 years and TV over one
The internet rocks - no complaints.

The TV is young
Picture is MUCH better than Dishnetwork - you dont have to buy the equipment. and it doenst go out in a storm
The biggest complaint I have on TV is the VOD stuff
They have no PPV its called VOD - the good news is that you can see HBO stuff and other stuff when you want - by the Video on demand movies SUCK
The descriptions suck, they are full of misspellings, the movies are not the same as you see at blockbuster, the movies are NOT in 5.1 surround, and if you make the mistake of pausing one it errors out after about 15 seconds and makes you start over at the beginning - which sucks cause the FF isnt fast ...

The good news is the installers are GREAT - the customer service is good - but they dont know much about TV. They do however answer the phone with nearly no hold time. The HD channels are good, DVR works well, ( after I got rid of first lemon )

Last comment is that i wanted to get a static IP at one point to host this server - I since decided against it BUT Verizon cant do it anyway. yOu cant have Static and TV

FRDRCING
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
That is what we have here at the house. No complaints with the Cable TV or internet. We had a few problems with the DVR box and one some of the wire they used. But once they came back and fixed it all. No problems at all.

03LightningRocks
12-31-2006, 12:15 AM
I have the FIOS internet and love it. I have been considering switching from my Directv to the FIOS TV. After reading this thread...I am not sure I want to do it. The reason I wanted to go with the FIOS tv is I thought it would be cheaper than my Directv and I want to start getting HD channels.

Silver_2000
12-31-2006, 01:21 AM
I have the FIOS internet and love it. I have been considering switching from my Directv to the FIOS TV. After reading this thread...I am not sure I want to do it. The reason I wanted to go with the FIOS tv is I thought it would be cheaper than my Directv and I want to start getting HD channels.

I have No way to see if its cheaper but I guarantee the picture will be better and the HD is free

Tex Arcana
12-31-2006, 01:55 AM
:crying:

03LightningRocks
12-31-2006, 02:04 AM
I have No way to see if its cheaper but I guarantee the picture will be better and the HD is free

I have the directv top premium package. Every channel they offer. It's 119.00 a month for two tivo receivers. Oh,,,,and I have the older dish so if I want HD, I have to get a new dish.

Silver_2000
12-31-2006, 02:15 AM
I have the directv top premium package. Every channel they offer. It's 119.00 a month for two tivo receivers. Oh,,,,and I have the older dish so if I want HD, I have to get a new dish.
I have 2 dvrs one phone line, 15/2 internet and all normal channels incl hbo and cinemax

heres the bill

New Charges

Verizon Broadband Services

FiOS Internet Access for

- Verizon Fios Internet Service Dec 22 - Jan 21 $44.95
- VZ Fios Cons Promo Disc - $5 off 12 - $5.00
Mo
- State Tax $.94
- City Tax $.30

Total FiOS Internet Access for $41.19

Total Verizon Broadband Services $41.19

Verizon FiOS TV

FiOS TV Services for

- HBO/Cinemax Dec 12 - Jan 11 $24.95
- FIOS TV Premier Dec 12 - Jan 11 $39.95
- FIOS TV Bundle Discount Dec 12 - Jan 11 - $5.00
- DVR Rental Dec 12 $12.95
- DVR Rental Dec 12 $12.95
- State Sales Tax $4.68
- Equipment State Sales Tax $1.62
- City Sales Tax $1.50
- Equipment City Sales Tax $.52
- PEG Fee $1.01
- Franchise Fee $5.30

Total FiOS TV Services for $100.43

Total Verizon FiOS TV $100.43 Total New Charges $141.62
Phone charges are not in there for some reason

Channel lineup
http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/Channels/FiosTV/channel.aspx
All the pricing options
http://www22.verizon.com/content/FiOSTV/Templates/PackagesAndPrices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fContent%2fFiOSTV%2fPackages%2bAnd %2bPrices%2fPackages%2bAnd%2bPrices%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b8BEEE639-29C2-436A-9296-67BE94594472%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

03LightningRocks
12-31-2006, 02:32 AM
It looks to cost about the same. The real plus would be getting a better picture.

L8 APEX
12-31-2006, 03:40 AM
100 bucks a month to watch TV, man the cost of living is up there in our society from what it was years ago...

Lyfisin
12-31-2006, 06:46 AM
It looks to cost about the same. The real plus would be getting a better picture.

Have you called Directv and asked how much it would cost to replace your dish? I think when I got mine, it was either free or very inexpensive, but I've been a customer for a long time.

When you say "getting a better picture" I assume you are talking about the HD channels. I don't recall the non-HD channels looking any better than they did previous to the new install. Directv has about 7 or 8 HD channels. You can free HD local channels if you live close enough to Cedar Hill and Directv has them as well. Directv also has one channel each of HBO and Showtime in HD.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=1100083

jeff56
12-31-2006, 10:20 AM

That's also with 40 clams worth of internet service though.

Looks to me to be a pretty good deal.

Appreciate all the opinions from everyone. I have Charter now with tons of VOD, etc and never use it, so I think I'll be safe on the TV, but when you say no PPV, are you talking just movies or no events such as UFC/Pride either?

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and make the switch. I have Charter now - HD/DVR box and standard internet is costing me like 130 bucks! They slowly up the bill so you don't take much notice - before you know it, they've been sticking it to your for months. The other drawback to Charter which they don't advertise is that all the lower channels (basically everything) are not digital, so the picture sucks.

Only problem is I hate to have to go through the hassle of a new e-mail address. I suppose that's the benefit of an internet based e-mail account, but I've always enjoyed using Outlook so my gmail account stays idle.

03LightningRocks
12-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Have you called Directv and asked how much it would cost to replace your dish? I think when I got mine, it was either free or very inexpensive, but I've been a customer for a long time.

When you say "getting a better picture" I assume you are talking about the HD channels. I don't recall the non-HD channels looking any better than they did previous to the new install. Directv has about 7 or 8 HD channels. You can free HD local channels if you live close enough to Cedar Hill and Directv has them as well. Directv also has one channel each of HBO and Showtime in HD.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=1100083

Yes, when I say better picture am talking about the HD. I don't have HD and was told it is life like. want to be able to reach nto my TV and squeeze Pamela Andersons tits :evil.

I did check with Directv a year or so ago and they did not want to do much for me. It ticked me off a little. I have been a customer of theirs for about 10 years. I was a customer when alot of folks hadn't even heard of satelite TV.

Silver_2000
12-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Dont forget that both directtv and Dish have a VERY limited amount of bandwidth to play with - The Sat can only beam so much - Everything they send is compressed BIG TIME. Think of a Picture that you see on the web VS a picture you see in full size - The full size one is bigger and has more detail.

I dont YET have an HD TV but I could very clearly see the quality differences on my Sony regular TV - And the HD channels are even better.

As Lyfisin said you can get all the local HD channels free - IF You have a good antenna - I put a Winegard Roof antenna up a few years ago and can get like 25 local stations - Half are in Spanish or are religious channels but ....

THis article talks about how easy it is to get digital signals with almost anything
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/squareshot.htm

and prices for roof antenna
http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/2,15.html

go here to see how many channels you could pick up

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

Doug

03LightningRocks
12-31-2006, 11:00 AM
That's also with 40 clams worth of internet service though.

Look again. The internet is not included in the hundred bucks. It is 141 with the internet.

jeff56
12-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Look again. The internet is not included in the hundred bucks. It is 141 with the internet.

Doh! You're right. :mad: With the slower internet (which is still faster than Charter), I might save a tad or break even still.