PDA

View Full Version : So who quit smoking?

charlie
01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Just wondering who all quit smoking because of the greedy a$$ state tax on cigarettes?

Also just wondering where all the extra tax money is going. Extra being from all the new toll roads and all the other raises in taxes lately?

They said the new tax from cigarettes are for the schools? Really. I thought the Lotto money was going there? The new toll road tax are suppose to fund other roads... But I looked that one up, and if I was reading it right.... Thats Illegal.

Sorry, just pissing and moaning cuz I quit smoking yesterday.

Charlie

Ohmsby
01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I started smoking today. I could hardly wait.

I wanted to help our state education as much as possible and I know this is the best way to do it.:hammer:

Lyfisin
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM

I wanted to help our state education as much as possible and I know this is the best way to do it.:hammer:

Funniest post of the year. But it's only Jan 2. :tongue:

charlie
01-02-2007, 06:10 PM

No don't start.... You can just buy mine.....:D

Charlie

Mark #2
01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Does this apply to Skoal too?
I was just in Kentucky where they give it away free at Walmart, so I don't need any right now.

Ohmsby
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
All kidding aside several years ago I did some contract work in Quebec and the principal in the firm we did work for was also smuggling cigarettes into Canada from Detroit via boat. At the time smokes in canada were 6 or 7 dollars a pack and these guys were making big money.

I just wonder how long it will be before we hear about a smuggling from La. or Ok. into Texas

This kind of sin tax never works never has. I don't smoke but what will it be next beer:tex maybe ice cream or pizza or well... you get the point.

How about a little accountability for the billions that are pilfered from this system annually:flaming:

Ohmsby
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Does this apply to Skoal too?
I was just in Kentucky where they give it away free at Walmart, so I don't need any right now.

5% on smokeless and none on cigars yet.....

wesman
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
The new tax on the cigs is to offset the property tax reductions that affected school taxes.

I'm all for it, at least make people pay to have to annoy me/make me smell/hurt my eyes/blacken my lungs........the list goes on.

--wes

Ohmsby
01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
The new tax on the cigs is to offset the property tax reductions that affected school taxes.

I'm all for it, at least make people pay to have to annoy me/make me smell/hurt my eyes/blacken my lungs........the list goes on.

--wes

don't forget the added business tax I know I have not it's a shell game pig and a poke what was the real savings in property tax????

wesman
01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
don't forget the added business tax I know I have not it's a shell game pig and a poke what was the real savings in property tax????

I didn't notice one.....I need to write the governor. :hammer:

dboat
01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
The lotto money goes to the general fund.. the idea that it went to the schools has always been a misunderstood item..

you could have state income tax, local income tax and the right to work tax like we do here.. :flaming:

Mark #2
01-02-2007, 07:03 PM
The lotto money goes to the general fund.. the idea that it went to the schools has always been a misunderstood item..

you could have state income tax, local income tax and the right to work tax like we do here.. :flaming:
I remember that and had the city tax of Philly on top of those.
That is one of the things that we sell to get the grads to move to Tx.:D

charlie
01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
How about a little accountability for the billions that are pilfered from this system annually:flaming:

Thats my point! There yelling we need more. What should be said.... We need less waist!

Charlie

LocoLightning02
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
9 days and counting:) I quit before the new year:beer: WTF!!

L8 APEX
01-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I heard 1.41 on cigs and .14 cents on smokeless products.

bluesvt
01-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I had a guy buy me 5 cartons in Mexico for $85. Once those are gone I might be quitting or atleast trying to.

BC Lightning
01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I had a guy buy me 5 cartons in Mexico for $85. Once those are gone I might be quitting or atleast trying to.

Never did like smoking, i did snuff for awhile but havent picked up a can in a few years, but after watching a recent cancer surgery where the patient was a heavy smoker, the Dr. had to cut a tumor the size of a softball (wasnt round but in the roughly the same size once on the table) started just under the angle of the mandible in the lymphnoid going all the way to the guys mandible and way up to the zygoma, this was a testament not to smoke, it was so bad the Dr. had to cut the symphesis and dislodge the condyle from the fossa basically making the patients face open like the predators from Predator, he will never be able to swallow, taste, or breathe normal, so think about that the next time you take a puff :tu:

03LightningRocks
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I quit two years ago. Hardest damn thing I ever did. I smoked for 28 years. I was managing to smoke 2 and a half to 3 packs a day. I can't figure out how I was smoking so much. Good luck to anyone that is about to attempt this. It can be done. The trick is to quit without running off all your friends and family.

03LightningRocks
01-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Never did like smoking, i did snuff for awhile but havent picked up a can in a few years, but after watching a recent cancer surgery where the patient was a heavy smoker, the Dr. had to cut a tumor the size of a softball (wasnt round but in the roughly the same size once on the table) started just under the angle of the mandible in the lymphnoid going all the way to the guys mandible and way up to the zygoma, this was a testament not to smoke, it was so bad the Dr. had to cut the symphesis and dislodge the condyle from the fossa basically making the patients face open like the predators from Predator, he will never be able to swallow, taste, or breathe normal, so think about that the next time you take a puff :tu:

WTF?????? I am not sure what you just said, but it sounds pretty jacked up.

BC Lightning
01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
WTF?????? I am not sure what you just said, but it sounds pretty jacked up.

basically from the front of the chin to the middle of the ear was cut and moved exposing the entire left side of the guys face to remove all of the cancer, then had to use part of a rib to fill in the hole from where the cancer was, had to have a plate I sell to hold the rib in place on the jaw

CJLightning04
01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Well I live in Louisiana and Cig are about $4-$5 here but i am quiting just for my health...and the whole new years thing. I figure if i quit now i should not have to worry about lung cancer when i am older since i am only 20. that sucks you guys have been taxed like that. Let me know if you want me to meet you guys at the border with a few boxes:beer:

wesman
01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
We need less waist!

Charlie

Agreed....Texas is both greedy and fat.....2 of the top 5 cities in the country.

I think you meant waste :)

charlie
01-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Agreed....Texas is both greedy and fat.....2 of the top 5 cities in the country.

I think you meant waste :)

LOL thanks.... The spell checker passed it. :D

03stx
01-03-2007, 09:15 AM

--wes

I am with you on this one. Not that I want to punish people for smoking because it is their body not mine, but
second hand can have affects on my body. I don't mine people smoking as long as it is where I can't smell it. Smokeless I could care less about, other than I hate seeing a wad of chew laying on the ground that someone just spit out.

jeff56
01-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Kudos to the quitters onboard. I quit snuff December 01, 2005 after 17 years of being nicotine's bitch. There's occasions I have fond memories of my long lost "friend", but I don't miss it a bit. Coming up on 400 days and its still one of the best decisions I ever made.

If you can't get the cajones to quit, just think about the money you are throwing down the toilet. At a pack a day at 4-5 bucks, that's 1460-1825 bucks a year!

I only dipped about 1-2 cans a week, so money wasn't the issue to me - it was the final realization that after 17 years, I was kidding myself to think I would not get cancer. Damn mouth was always raw. Being rid of the nicotine and all the other toxins, I feel tons more healthy. I can't imagine how much worse it must be as a smoker, to have the nicotine and toxins plus the smoke, tar, bad lungs, etc.

tiffo60
01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Kudos to the quitters onboard. I quit snuff December 01, 2005 after 17 years of being nicotine's bitch. There's occasions I have fond memories of my long lost "friend", but I don't miss it a bit. Coming up on 400 days and its still one of the best decisions I ever made.

If you can't get the cajones to quit, just think about the money you are throwing down the toilet. At a pack a day at 4-5 bucks, that's 1460-1825 bucks a year!

I only dipped about 1-2 cans a week, so money wasn't the issue to me - it was the final realization that after 17 years, I was kidding myself to think I would not get cancer. Damn mouth was always raw. Being rid of the nicotine and all the other toxins, I feel tons more healthy. I can't imagine how much worse it must be as a smoker, to have the nicotine and toxins plus the smoke, tar, bad lungs, etc.

just quit snuff a couple of days ago, ive only done it for 10 years buts its already nerve racking, this is going to be a fun couple of weeks:hammer:

Gukimuchi17
01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
It's been 2 years since I quit smoking. I finally decided it was going to be an ugly death if I kept smoking. You never see an old smoker go out easy!

jeff56
01-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Check out www.quitsmokeless.org. I haven't been on there regularly in months, and it seems kind of goofy, but I attribute a great deal of my success to this site. It changed "owners" since I quit, but I believe it's all still the same. The accountability and a goal to work for was all I needed to make it work.

Good luck. I absolutely loved dipping snuff, but not anything like I do being rid of it after all those years. I feel for you, because it's an ass kicking those first 1-2 weeks. If you check out that website, it will really clue you in on everything to expect. If you need a quick kick in the ass, read this http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/SeanMarsee.html Any time I felt week, that was all I needed to strengthen my resolve.

tiffo60
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Check out www.quitsmokeless.org (http://www.quitsmokeless.org). I haven't been on there regularly in months, and it seems kind of goofy, but I attribute a great deal of my success to this site. It changed "owners" since I quit, but I believe it's all still the same. The accountability and a goal to work for was all I needed to make it work.

Good luck. I absolutely loved dipping snuff, but not anything like I do being rid of it after all those years. I feel for you, because it's an ass kicking those first 1-2 weeks. If you check out that website, it will really clue you in on everything to expect. If you need a quick kick in the ass, read this http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/SeanMarsee.html Any time I felt week, that was all I needed to strengthen my resolve.

nice site:tu:

bluesvt
01-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Just smoked a cig and enjoyed every bit of it. :tu: I only smoke about 6 or so a day now b/c of work so I am not too worried. Only reason I will quit is because of the price but right now it does not effect me. I love it when people try to lecture about why not to smoke. :rolleyes:

Ohmsby
01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I only smoke if I go really fast:burnout:

jeff56
01-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Just smoked a cig and enjoyed every bit of it. :tu: I only smoke about 6 or so a day now b/c of work so I am not too worried. Only reason I will quit is because of the price but right now it does not effect me. I love it when people try to lecture about why not to smoke. :rolleyes:

If that's in reference to my posts, don't be mistaken. I'll offer encouragement to anyone in the process of quitting, because I've been there. If you want to smoke, though, I don't give a ****. Smoke 'em up. :evil

bluesvt
01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
If that's in reference to my posts, don't be mistaken. I'll offer encouragement to anyone in the process of quitting, because I've been there. If you want to smoke, though, I don't give a ****. Smoke 'em up. :evil

Not to you, Michael quoted me and said something like think about that next time you take a puff. Thanks for the encouragement though. :beer:

jeff56
01-04-2007, 01:29 AM
:tu:

CJLightning04
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
It has been 4 days and I have broken the habit of smoking but haven't really kicked the nicotine part. I am using snuff to help with that i bought a can monday night and i still have half a can left. I figure if i just take smaller and smaller dips then i will be done in no time. Plus once i;m done with this can I wouldn't buy another( if i ever get done with it).

PS: With all the money i am saving i am going to buy LT and mids:nana2