PDA

View Full Version : Need input

RSVT
01-07-2007, 12:59 AM
im planning to upgrade my gears, i have a 00 L and want 373's but dont know if i have to tune it, and then i want some transmission work done, whats the best thing to do? (built trans, shift kit?) also my differential rearend is leaking oil, this be a good time to do all this. Would like some input i really want to get this done by the end of this month. Thanks to all you

charlie
01-07-2007, 10:06 AM
im planning to upgrade my gears, i have a 00 L and want 373's but dont know if i have to tune it, and then i want some transmission work done, whats the best thing to do? (built trans, shift kit?) also my differential rearend is leaking oil, this be a good time to do all this. Would like some input i really want to get this done by the end of this month. Thanks to all you

To change the rear gears. Yes you will have to re-calibrate the speedometer.
The rear end. Sounds like a good time to get a T/A rear cover. I got mine from Terry @ a good price I might add.
Sorry I don't know squat about the trans.

Charlie

PoorSvtman
01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
i think going from the 355s to 373 is just a waist of time.. Only down fall ive heard from it is that with 373s you get a tad worse gas milage

wesman
01-07-2007, 12:41 PM
i think going from the 355s to 373 is just a waist of time.. Only down fall ive heard from it is that with 373s you get a tad worse gas milage

Hmmm...I must disagree. I did it and felt the difference immediately. It helps on the low end for sure. I wouldn't even think of going to 4:10' unless it was a strip only truck, you sacrifice way too much on the big end. Overall the 3:73' are a good all around gear, good grunt down low and not too much sacrifice up top.

As far as gas mileage, if anyone is really worried about the difference that they would make, they are definitely driving the wrong vehicle.

--wes

03LightningRocks
01-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Hmmm...I must disagree. I did it and felt the difference immediately. It helps on the low end for sure. I wouldn't even think of going to 4:10' unless it was a strip only truck, you sacrifice way too much on the big end. Overall the 3:73' are a good all around gear, good grunt down low and not too much sacrifice up top.

As far as gas mileage, if anyone is really worried about the difference that they would make, they are definitely driving the wrong vehicle.

--wes

I must agree with Wes, the guy with the truck that is above me on the 10 second list;).

PoorSvtman
01-07-2007, 03:14 PM

--wes

Im sure they help out... just my opinion its not enough of a change.. I cant complain, i had 355s and when my truck was in the body shop and the axle was bent, I got a entire new rear end with 373s I felt a differance but wasnt impressed at all... I sure wouldnt waste my money on them...

RSVT
01-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Im sure they help out... just my opinion its not enough of a change.. I cant complain, i had 355s and when my truck was in the body shop and the axle was bent, I got a entire new rear end with 373s I felt a differance but wasnt impressed at all... I sure wouldnt waste my money on them...

So your tellin me i have get a whole new rearend axle just to put 373s, im still gonna put them , but what about the a shift kit? are they any use? good or no good?

03LightningRocks
01-07-2007, 03:28 PM
So your tellin me i have get a whole new rearend axle just to put 373s, im still gonna put them , but what about the a shift kit? are they any use? good or no good?

No, you don't need a rear end axle. If done right, a shift kit does help.

RSVT
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
No, you don't need a rear end axle. If done right, a shift kit does help.

thanks for the input Rocks

Mark #2
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I have 3.55s, but I am behind Wes and Rocks on the times list, must be the gears;) .

I never have understood the need for more gear on the street when we can light up the rear tires at will already.

If you are running 30" slicks at the track then 3.73s are a good idea.

PoorSvtman
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM

No, my axle was bent and instead of just replacing the axle they put a entire new rear end under the rear... Just got lucky lol....

Tex Arcana
01-08-2007, 05:16 PM
1) 3.73's aren't a bad idea, 4.10's will improve launch but kill top speed.
2) Get a TrueTrac, you'll thank me later. :cool:

fake edit: 3.55's would be nice in autocross, especially higher-speed ones, and maybe open track, but I'm not 100% sure of that yet.

03LightningRocks
01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
1)
2) Get a TrueTrac, you'll thank me later. :cool:

Truer words where never spoken...:tu:.

wesman
01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Truer words where never spoken...:tu:.

something I never thought I'd see after a Tex comment, especially by Uncle Rocks :rll:

03LightningRocks
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
something I never thought I'd see after a Tex comment, especially by Uncle Rocks :rll:

Believe me when I say, I had to go outside and spit after I typed that.:cool:

wesman
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
:rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :beer:

Believe me when I say, I had to go outside and spit after I typed that.:cool:

Tex Arcana
01-09-2007, 06:23 PM

No sh!t, I just spit up my coffee when I saw that. :eek2:

BigBobsL
01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
The difference between 3:55 and 3:73 gears is only 5% and IMHO not worth the bother. I have had 4:10 gears for years and love them, same wioth all my friends that have them as well. They are 10% increase over 3:73's and 15% over the 3:55's I started with. Going from 3:55 to 4:10 cost me less than 1 mpg in fuel economy and improved my 60 ft and ET by a bit over a tenth. If they hurt your top end, you will be in jail after trying to find out.:) Back when fewer mods were available, they actually improved top speed compared to 3:55 gears. My apologies to anyone I slight, but I have found most of the naysayers on 4:10's have not run them in their L's. Most just repeat what they have read on the net from other naysayers. that may not be the case in Talon. Yes, you can REALY feel the difference on the street, your tire will wear out a lot quicker;) , same situation as with a high stall torque converter.

Most all the 99 & 00L's in HALO have moved to 4:10's and everyone that has loves them, none have gone back. Best advise is to give is to drive or ride in a truck with the 4:10's before making your decision. Good luck whichever gear you go with.

Tex Arcana
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
The difference between 3:55 and 3:73 gears is only 5% and IMHO not worth the bother. I have had 4:10 gears for years and love them, same wioth all my friends that have them as well. They are 10% increase over 3:73's and 15% over the 3:55's I started with. Going from 3:55 to 4:10 cost me less than 1 mpg in fuel economy and improved my 60 ft and ET by a bit over a tenth. If they hurt your top end, you will be in jail after trying to find out.:) Back when fewer mods were available, they actually improved top speed compared to 3:55 gears. My apologies to anyone I slight, but I have found most of the naysayers on 4:10's have not run them in their L's. Most just repeat what they have read on the net from other naysayers. that may not be the case in Talon. Yes, you can REALY feel the difference on the street, your tire will wear out a lot quicker;) , same situation as with a high stall torque converter.

Most all the 99 & 00L's in HALO have moved to 4:10's and everyone that has loves them, none have gone back. Best advise is to give is to drive or ride in a truck with the 4:10's before making your decision. Good luck whichever gear you go with.

Well said. What does a set of 4.10s cost, and what does it take to put them in?

BigBobsL
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Well said. What does a set of 4.10s cost, and what does it take to put them in?

Talk to Terry, prices I've seen vary from $500-$700 (with gears) and there is not always a correlation between quality of labor and price, get a referral. This is skill based work and a set of gears installed wrong is a pain and expensive.