PDA

View Full Version : I need a trusted machine shop.

charlie
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I finally got all the lower end pieces for the new engine. I need to get it balanced. And maybe the block, honed to my specks. Who would you trust? North of Dallas preferably.

Thanks
Charlie

wesman
01-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Wells in Duncanville is who Terry uses....obviously not N of Dallas, but they know the assembly well.

--wes

WA 2 FST
01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Wayne Calvert Racing Engines in Denton. He has built one motor for me personally (a 2-bolt 302 that lasted way longer than it ever should have given the power I was throwing at it... 530+rwhp) and he has built countless engines for friends I know. The guy has been doing it for 40 years, takes pride in his work, and will do as much or as little as you want. He is extremely meticulous.

He can certainly align hone mains and hone the cylinders if that's what you need, along with balancing the rotating assembly.

But I'm sure anyone Terry uses is top-notch as well.

charlie
01-12-2007, 07:11 AM
I know about Calvert's, I did not know they had any experience with 5.4 engines.

Thanks
Charlie

WA 2 FST
01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Charlie,

I don't know what kind of experience he has with 5.4L SOHC motors. Call them and ask.

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Charlie,

I don't know what kind of experience he has with 5.4L SOHC motors. Call them and ask.

Another vote for Calvert

Basically,, Balancing is balancing, regardless of the engine!!:rolleyes:

WA 2 FST
01-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Another vote for Calvert

That is my opinion as well.

wesman
01-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Another vote for Calvert

Ask calvert about those VG30DETT engines then....he doesn't seem to have the capability/know-how to balance those...at least the 6 or so he tried on.

Yes, I do have personal experience.....not a knock on him, there aren't too many folks that get them right.

--wes

L8 APEX
01-13-2007, 01:35 PM
The 5.4 rotating assy is very similar to previous Ford and other American V8 technology. The overhead cams and timing is about the only difference. As long as the shop is competent there should be no issues in the simple things like bore balance etc. In higher HP and high RPM apps, speical angle milling etc I would be a little pickier then. I am lucky to me 2 miles from Wells so I don't have to worry about machining. I have spent a lot of time over there. I am slowly learning how to gauge bores and setup/operate various machinery in the shop.

charlie
01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
The 5.4 rotating assy is very similar to previous Ford and other American V8 technology. The overhead cams and timing is about the only difference. As long as the shop is competent there should be no issues in the simple things like bore balance etc. In higher HP and high RPM apps, speical angle milling etc I would be a little pickier then. I am lucky to me 2 miles from Wells so I don't have to worry about machining. I have spent a lot of time over there. I am slowly learning how to gauge bores and setup/operate various machinery in the shop.

Ya got there # handy?

Charlie

Avalanche
01-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Wayne Calvert is very knowledgeable with the 5.4/4.6 motors. He has built a couple for friends of mine and he will be doing the final touches on mine in a couple of months.

BigBobsL
01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Like Clavert, Dennis (Wells) has been around racing circles for a very long time. I know Dennis fom back in his boat racing days (mid/late 70's before he got into dirt trackers and such. He does good work and sure he will treat you right.

L8 APEX
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
972 298 9900

Avalanche
01-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Wayne Calvert 940-382-6815