PDA

View Full Version : xbox and 'system link'

99WhiteBeast
01-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok you gamers out there I have a few questions. My stepson got a XBOX for Christmas (thanks again Adam) and wants to play a single player game in system link mode.

My understanding is you need a second XBOX console and second TV and you join the two boxes via a ethernet link cable.

1. Do you need two copies of the same game?
2. When playing the game (Call of Duty III) is one player the Germans and the other the Allies or is it a team thing against the Germans?

Sixpipes
01-11-2007, 11:59 PM
You'll need a disc in each Xbox. Not sure about that particular game, but Xbox usually gives you a bunch of game options in System-link mode. :cool:

Silver_2000
01-12-2007, 06:03 AM
dont buy the expensive xbox cables

Its just a crossover cable

keynan
01-12-2007, 10:53 AM
The cable is cheap at walmart, like 20 buck or something like that. From what I have heard on COD3 you both play along side each other. Not real sure never done it.

Silver_2000
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
The cable is cheap at walmart, like 20 buck or something like that. From what I have heard on COD3 you both play along side each other. Not real sure never done it.

after reading xbox.com it appears that the 360 only requires any network cable
which should be less than $10 almost anywhere

you will need 2 consoles and 2 tvs and 2 copies of the game

more system link info here
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/connecttoanotherconsole.htm

you can do split screen games in many games
one console - one tv

keynan
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Ok then don't go to walmart, try gamestop.

SIL02SVT
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Don't go spend 20 bucks on a cross over cable give my ur address and i'll make you one a mail it to you but I think you just need a regular patch cable on the 360. Also on the versus I think you can be a number of different countrys british,usa,german,french,canadian so its not like your stuck with just two teams.

99WhiteBeast
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Don't go spend 20 bucks on a cross over cable give my ur address and i'll make you one a mail it to you but I think you just need a regular patch cable on the 360. Also on the versus I think you can be a number of different countrys british,usa,german,french,canadian so its not like your stuck with just two teams.

Thanks for the offer but I have a few patch cables laying around.

Thanks for the tips everybody

SIL02SVT
01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Your welcome just trying to help out because they way over charge for those things.

99WhiteBeast
01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Looks like the standard ethernet patch cable does not work.
Can I use a regular Ethernet cable instead of the Xbox System Link Cable to link two Xbox consoles?
Nope. The Xbox System Link Cable is a cross-over cable, and regular Ethernet cables are ‘straight through.’ Two Xbox consoles need the cross-over cable to properly connect to each other.

Silver_2000
01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Looks like the standard ethernet patch cable does not work.
Can I use a regular Ethernet cable instead of the Xbox System Link Cable to link two Xbox consoles?
Nope. The Xbox System Link Cable is a cross-over cable, and regular Ethernet cables are ‘straight through.’ Two Xbox consoles need the cross-over cable to properly connect to each other.Depends on which Xbox you have

The original xbox requires a crossover ( or 2 cables and a hub )
The 360 is autosensing and will work with either