PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing happened on the way home.

charlie
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I was getting close to my exit off of 380 going to The Colony, and I was stuck in the left lane. The guy in front of me was in a nice looking Mustang, he moved over so I could go,,,,,, So I thought. I eased into it, just enough to get it out of O.D. and move on. Well I guess the guy thought I wanted to race. So I put it to the floor. And the "L" took off hard, then the blower noise level changed, (a lot) then changed back, it did this 4 or 5 times. The truck felt like I was spinning as the blower noise level changed. But I don't think it was spinning, since I was going 80+. I'm thinking my transmission is going south. ... Oh and yes I passed the Mustang:D

Any thoughts?

And if it is going south,,,,, Terry, how much to rebuild it? I don't know squat about transmissions.

Charlie

L8 APEX
01-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Maybe belt slip or trans slip. The rebuilds are about 2,400 ballpark.

charlie
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Well it may not be the trans. I did a little testing today.
I turned off the O.D. and stepped on it, the AFR reading was bad, real bad. 17.6 It started clattering so I got out of it. I did it again and watched the fuel, boost, and afr this time. The fuel bounced straight to 40 psi, the boost went to 10 lb's really fast but the afr was hanging around 15 to 16. But it did come down to 12.9 for a sec. when it did come down, the truck took off. Then the afr went back to 16.5 and I shut it down and just eased it home. I think I need to stay out of it during the cold.

Charlie

Fuzion
01-18-2007, 07:57 AM
That'd be a good idea... or you might end up like me.

Silver_2000
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
That'd be a good idea... or you might end up like me.
yep
charlie in my mind you are lucky as heck to be running that A/F in this weather and still have the oil in your motor

BC Lightning
01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
yep
charlie in my mind you are lucky as heck to be running that A/F in this weather and still have the oil in your motor

+1 I had a way safer a/f and in warmer weather and had all my oil all over I35

charlie
01-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I would get Terry to tune it for me.... But I just don't see the since in it, considering I'm close to putting another engine in it, and that engine will need a totally different tune. And yeah I was wandering why I did not splatter oil all over 380. Who knows, I may all ready have a built short block in it? Man thats going to suck big time, if I pull this engine out to put a built block in it, and the one I pull out turns out to be built block!

Charlie

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
40 psi is crap you need at least 50+. There should be a 20psi difference from cruise to WOT. Usually 35-52/55psi. You likely have a fuel pump out or dying with 40 at WOT. I have some used pumps if you want a cheap fix.

charlie
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
40 psi is crap you need at least 50+. There should be a 20psi difference from cruise to WOT. Usually 35-52/55psi. You likely have a fuel pump out or dying with 40 at WOT. I have some used pumps if you want a cheap fix.

Have you got the 255's with the Not plastic Y ?

If so i'll take them.

Charlie

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I only have used stock pumps, new 255's and the stainless Y yes.

charlie
01-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I think I'm going to buy a daily beater first. I need to keep the "L" off of th road in bad weather any way.

Any one got one..... CHEAP!

Charlie

Silver_2000
01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
if I pull this engine out to put a built block in it, and the one I pull out turns out to be built block!

Charlie

That may be why it hasnt already blown

To me a good tune is cheap insurance, even if you are already committed to a new block

charlie
01-20-2007, 10:56 AM
That may be why it hasnt already blown

To me a good tune is cheap insurance, even if you are already committed to a new block

Yeah I know. I just have a lot of things up in the air right now. I can't seem to make up my mind. For now I think I'm just going to get a beater to drive to work. I may sell my tig welder to get something decent.

Charlie