PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing happened on the way to work

kirkmears
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
this morning there was a bad vibration when i gave it a lot of gas ( it starts around 0 psi). this immediately appeared for the first time today half way to work (allen & dallas). i only did it twice (stepped on the gas:burnout: while in third gear NOT letting it downshift) before arriving to work. it seems worse when in third gear. initially i thought it was the tranny (replaced lasted year). after driving home, here are my guesses:

1. either one or more cylinders are not getter good fire after i start making power (bad coil/plug)
2. an air/fuel meter not metering correctly
3. u-joint
4. wheel bearing
5. tranny/converter

stock 2000 lightning. runs fine as long as i don't make boost. seems to run fine first 1/2 mile (cold) or so, but then craps out if i try to make any power...which is why i think it might be air/fuel/ignition problem.

2 cents anyone? i need to figure this out in the next couple of days or take to it to terry (i just loaned somebody rent $ so i'm strapped now)...thanks for yer input ;)

Silver_2000
01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
first step is always what did you change ?

Then check vacuum lines around intake and under the TB boot

L8 APEX
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Power brake the truck while stopped and see if it misses under that heavy load. If it idles up smoothly and spins tires then the coils are okay. It sounds like a bad coil pack or two. They will shake the piss out of a truck when you get under load and blow the weak spark out.

kirkmears
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
honestly, its stock. i don't even change my own oil in the L for this reason. i haven't drove it (or actually really romped on it) since the temps have frozen. this mornings commute was the first time its been warmed up probably since we dip in the 20s. i powered braked it til 3k and seemed ok but nothing more. seems to idle fine. i'll drive it in to work tomorrow and probably give terry a call see if i can set appointment (scared to keep messin with it & f sometin up, but hopefully something simple like a fuse)

my2002lightning
01-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I've got a stock '02 L, Kirk, and have had #1 and #2 coil-packs go out at the same time - go figure - and it's as if the truck wouldn't idle at all, regardless at idle or under a light-pedal.

The coil-packs were replaced and she ran like the day I bought her brand-new.

Good luck.

kirkmears
01-17-2007, 08:30 AM
two questions

1. how long are posts retained on this site? (i think i had a similar issue before & did a search but nothing came up...)
2. can a low battery cause a similar issue?

wesman
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd venture a guess at plugs/coil pack issues.

--wes

kirkmears
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
i could have sworn this happened before...sux the weather is bad.
i just went outside earlier and did the "hold trip odometer button down while starting trick" for codes" trick. everything 'looked' ok. idles @ 690 RPM (got 5284 error, but so does everyone else?) 12.8v. (i checked all the vaccum lines this morning and resetting most of the connections on the TB before my jacket started sticking to the truck)
was able to power brake with ease (tire spin) and it didn't bog or misfire or vibrate...no violent shakes but i didn't really get any boost you know...

can a weak battery cause this symptom? i have a optima red top i can throw a full charge on today and toss in this afternoon (pray for dry pavement) and see if that's my problem. I'll keep looking for my old post (perhaps i posted on nloc)

the very first time it happen yesterday morning, i thought it must have been tire hop due to the extreme cold weather, thats how much it shook the drive train (or suprised me).

thanks again guys

kirkmears
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
water in the coil pack was the culprit...but im sure these didn't help...
http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/OEM-L-Plug.JPG

Special Thanks to Terry @ Performance Research for getting me takin care of today ;)

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for visiting. I forgot to tell you the front pads are 70% and the rears are 15% it needs rear pads. The cheapest way to replace front rotors is the slotted units off eBay for 200 if they are still selling them.

dboat
01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for visiting. I forgot to tell you the front pads are 70% and the rears are 15% it needs rear pads. The cheapest way to replace front rotors is the slotted units off eBay for 200 if they are still selling them.

Give us a link!

kirkmears
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
i picked mine up back in aug 02-2004 from rotorpros (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-04-Ford-Lightning-Cross-Drilled-or-Dimpled-Rotors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ019QQi temZ8033589409) on ebay. over 2k feedbacks@99.9% aint bad. $250 front & back +60 ship. cross drilled's are gonna crack regardless...i'll try to get a picture posted of mine.

km

Fuzion
01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Rotorpros are great! They offer paint on the hubs, but don't do it. Over time the paint heats up and flakes off. I have slotted and dimpled Rotorpro rotors all around and i love em!
Slight hairline cracks on the front around the dimples but everyone says it is okay and typical.

Kirk. Saw Terry working on your truck today, he told me what was happening and i saw the plugs. WOW!

wesman
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
water in the coil pack was the culprit...but im sure these didn't help...
http://kirkmears.com/dnn/Portals/0/Media/OEM-L-Plug.JPG

Special Thanks to Terry @ Performance Research for getting me takin care of today ;)

;) So plugs and coil packs....who'd have thunk it

:tu: