PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about Oil

02SVTKID
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Is it worth using synthetic oils like royal purple or mobil 1 over the normal motorcraft? Am i really going to get any benifits from it? Thanks

PUMP
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
No quick answer to that question. Most synthetics will yield less wear on parts since they do not break down as soon as 100% petroleum based lubricants. My opinion is they are worth the extra cost when used in high performance engine.

Silver_2000
01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
the way I understand it is this

if you change your oil all the time and drive a lONG commute every day then you can use what you want

The biggest diff between syn and reg oil is the amount of additives

AND the thing that goes wrong with oil as it ages is the additives break down and it gets contaminated so ... Syn oil has less additives to break down - so it stays good longer. So if you run the engine long enough to burn off water and gas that gets in the oil and you have a good filter AND you change regularly - it doesnt make any real difference

Having said all that I run mobil 1

bluesvt
01-17-2007, 07:05 PM
What they said... I also run Mobile 1.

CJLightning04
01-17-2007, 08:46 PM
i use royal purple get ready for a $50 oil change...and thats doing it yourself

dboat
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
the way I understand it is this

if you change your oil all the time and drive a lONG commute every day then you can use what you want

The biggest diff between syn and reg oil is the amount of additives

AND the thing that goes wrong with oil as it ages is the additives break down and it gets contaminated so ... Syn oil has less additives to break down - so it stays good longer. So if you run the engine long enough to burn off water and gas that gets in the oil and you have a good filter AND you change regularly - it doesnt make any real difference

Having said all that I run mobil 1

Exactly +1

also, the cost of Mobil 1 is relatively reasonable to the rest of the other syns. Although I have seen the Motorcraft stuff at pretty cheap prices. I have been running Mobil 1 in my vehicles, lawnmower, etc for a couple of decades now and never a single engine related problem..

L8 APEX
01-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Mobil1 is the best synthetic RP will cost you an engine sooner than later. It is overpriced gobbly gook.

wesman
01-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Mobil1 is the best synthetic RP will cost you an engine sooner than later. It is overpriced gobbly gook.

I second that notion....RP already cost me

--wes

BC Lightning
01-17-2007, 11:35 PM

Had royal purple in my motor when it blew

L8 APEX
01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I ran M1 10-30 in my engines for a long time and even 5-30 in brand new engines like the LS1, LS6 etc. But for our built motors we have been using Castrol GTX 10-40. It seems to maintain viscocity better and runs quieter. Built engines have a little more clearance in them to handle the severe heat and load. So I like a 10-40 oil to provide the cushin for the pushin.

BC Lightning
01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I ran M1 10-30 in my engines for a long time and even 5-30 in brand new engines like the LS1, LS6 etc. But for our built motors we have been using Castrol GTX 10-40. It seems to maintain viscocity better and runs quieter. Built engines have a little more clearance in them to handle the severe heat and load. So I like a 10-40 oil to provide the cushin for the pushin.

I need to change my oil and do some etc maintence to her, should I stay with the castrol GTX 10-40??

99WhiteBeast
01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
I say if you plan on keeping the truck a long time run synthetics.

I'm an Amsoil guy

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 12:43 AM
yes

my2002lightning
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
I've been running RP 5w-20 and their transmission fluid in the L since the factory oil-change after being bought brand-new and she runs tip-top!

Yes, RP oil changes ain't cheap. ~$7qt. and Ls like to consume ~1qt. every 1K miles according to SVT.

Granted, I'm not chipped/pullied, etc. - just suspension/brake mods.

Ronald

tiffo60
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM

+3

PoorSvtman
01-18-2007, 09:41 AM
use what every oil you want.. this is a never ending topic.. But since i got my truck i always run the motorcraft oil. YOu can get a 12pack and 2 motorcraft filters for around 30 bucks at autozone... i lifted a head at 13?xxx miles or so i had no sludge, no abnormal wear or anything, motor was perfect other than the lifted head. I ran my old motor hard as well. It lived alot longer than it should have. I do all the highway and over drive runs that people always tell you not to do... I even had my friends dad thats been a ford tech for god knows how long and even said my motor looked damn good.

Just use what ever you want.. like doug said if you change it regulary you will be fine...

Ohmsby
01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Any opinion on oil for the Built motor I am running

I have never had an issue with RP but I am open to new ideas

tiffo60
01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Any opinion on oil for the Built motor I am running

I have never had an issue with RP but I am open to new ideas

mobil 1:tu:

PoorSvtman
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
in my opinion mobil 1 is a trend whore oil......

Silver_2000
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
in my opinion mobil 1 is a trend whore oil......
Ok Cooter ....

I get my oil changed at Walmart or wherever i can get it done fast and cheap.
To get a motorcraft filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $4x dollars is a good deal to me ... I guess that makes me a trend whore... Been on that trend for 6 years now

Ohmsby
01-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Ok Cooter ....

I guess that makes me a trend whore... Been on that trend for 6 years now

I knew it:eek:

PoorSvtman
01-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Ok Cooter ....

I get my oil changed at Walmart or wherever i can get it done fast and cheap.
To get a motorcraft filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $4x dollars is a good deal to me ... I guess that makes me a trend whore... Been on that trend for 6 years now

Im not doubting mobil isnt good, or the best, but its just my opinion its the trend whore of oil.. Im sure if everyone wasnt all hyped up over it the price would come way down.. But after seeing how well my high mileage and very beaten on motor was in damn good shape, bearings still looked brand new. Ill stick to my motorcraft.. 12 quarts 2 filters for less than 30 bucks is a deal for me...

L-Fever
01-18-2007, 10:12 AM

I'm an Amsoil guy

I run Amsoil oil and filters in the L and the wife's c6 with no complaints!

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
M1 is one of the cheapest synthetics you can buy price wise. Thier 5 quart jug at WalMart is 22.95. RP, Amsoil, Torquo etc are all higher priced.

BC Lightning
01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
When changing my oil I use 9.5 quarts, the oil pan that was on my motor when I bought it is way bigger than stock, so oil changes are a little more expensive for me :rolleyes:

L8 APEX
01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Verify your capacity if it is your first change. New engines take about an extra quart of oil than regular service.

Silver_2000
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Verify your capacity if it is your first change. New engines take about an extra quart of oil than regular service.

Just got back from my 4 times a year or so visit to walmart
The Mobil 1 oil change is $40 but they ping you for 2 more quarts of Mobil which adds to the price

Mika
01-18-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm an Amsoil guy

+1 another Amsoil guy here.

Mika

Tex Arcana
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Im not doubting mobil isnt good, or the best, but its just my opinion its the trend whore of oil.. Im sure if everyone wasnt all hyped up over it the price would come way down.. But after seeing how well my high mileage and very beaten on motor was in damn good shape, bearings still looked brand new. Ill stick to my motorcraft.. 12 quarts 2 filters for less than 30 bucks is a deal for me...

I've been using M1 in all my vehicles since 1987 or so, and have had resounding success with it, and with them; so I guess that's "trendwhoring" at its finest. :tongue:

Fake edit: Motorcraft, btw, is a synthetic/dino blend, and not a bad oil all-in-all. If you want to justify using M1 or other pricey synthetics, you can extend your oil change interval to 5k or 7k, and get away with it. Only thing to remember is, if you're near your change interval, and getting ready to go racing (REAL racing, like open-tracking in July, or a full day's worth of dragging), then do the change early, just for safety's sake. :tu:

dboat
01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Dana the Trend Whore Here... have been using M1 since early eighties on turbo'd, supercharged and naturally aspirated engines.. never a single engine related problem... The price isnt bad, its readily available and the tests show its a pretty decent product too.

Dana

Mark #2
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
M1 here with 3000 mile changes and always just before racing.
Maybe that is why the stock block has not vented in 7 years?

03LightningRocks
01-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Are you saying that you think the oil is what caused your motor to blow? :rolleyes:

wesman
01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Are you saying that you think the oil is what caused your motor to blow? :rolleyes:

Likely mere coincidence but I also had a motor go directly after switching over. I had run Mobil 1 in the car for 30k prior that I owned it. I was at a gathering that had a RP demonstration and decided to switch because it seemed impressive. I switched oils, still used the stock Nissan filter and literally 100 miles later the engine developed a knock and ultimately needed rebuilt because of bad rod bearings.

Take it for what it's worth. Could it be coincidence? Sure.....could it be the oils fault...sure.

I just know that i'd rather not wager 5k+ $$$$'s to find out again :)

:tex

Tex Arcana
01-19-2007, 05:59 PM
M1 here with 3000 mile changes and always just before racing.
Maybe that is why the stock block has not vented in 7 years?

That, conservative mods, and a damn good tune (:tu: Terry).

Mark #2
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
That, conservative mods, and a damn good tune (:tu: Terry).
Not correct again on all points.:evil

BC Lightning
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Im not saying the oil was the reason, but it did blow up the same night it was changed

its because of the tune that it blew up, but because of it being in my motor when it did blow up has made me never want to use royal purple again

TXLIGHTNING
01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Long time Mobile 1 user here. I love the stuff. :tu:

03LightningRocks
01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
....................... but because of it being in my motor when it did blow up has made me never want to use royal purple again

That is kind of like getting the flue after eating at a Olive Garden. For the longest time, every time you think of eating at Olive Garden, you'll want to hurl.

02SVTKID
01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Well thanks for all the input guys, this is the best thread i have ever started lol. Looks like i will be going to meet up with that oil whore and get me some,:tu:

Silver_2000
01-19-2007, 07:47 PM

lol

Tex Arcana
01-19-2007, 10:02 PM

well, hell, I was thinking you were Doug for some damn reason. :(