PDA

View Full Version : So who drove their L today in the snow/ice

GoldLS1
01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Just wondering who else was out there sliding all over the place?? How far did ya drive?? These truck have ZERO traction from a stop up until around 35. Everytime I took off from a light with VERY VERY light acceleration the rear kicked out sideways. I just rode it out sideways until 35 and it straightened up. Its much worse than the camaro was... guess thats a truck for you.

Btw I drove 35 miles ONE WAY in the ice Monday and the same distance today in the snow/slush/ice!! Made it to work this morning in 44 minutes. Would have been sooner if everyone else wasnt driving so slow SIDE BY SIDE!!

Mika
01-18-2007, 01:05 AM
I drove down to Burleson today, from Bedford. Guess that's around 25-30 miles 1 way. Didn't have a problem at all getting sideways. Drove like an old fart though, especially after last ice storm's fun times I had.

Mika

FRDRCING
01-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I tried to leave my house yesteday morning, no go. I then fought it getting back up the slope at the end of my driveway. Had to put a crap load of sand down on the driveway to get back into the garage.

03stx
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I drove 19 miles to work in the L on both days. took me about 50 minutes to get there. I just took my time and drove really slow.

gagspa
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
We drove around town a bit, but it was around 1:00 and by then it wasn't too bad.

If you have traction trouble on wet/icy days you can start in 2nd and it will help cut back on the torque.

PoorSvtman
01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
been driving in the ice and snow since it started this year, its not so bad since i work on it all night i know where some of the bad areas are..... Ive been getting off at midnight so its been pretty nasty out... hardest time i had was on sunday when we got hit realy bad... Leaving mc cart street off i20 hit a few bridges doing 30mph and it tried to kick to the side a bit... So when i got to campus i just too the service road all the way home... Then all the little dips in the road on 287(theres alot every so feet all the way from little rd to sublett) they were all frozen and the rear end kept breaking loose at 40mph...

I have decent amount of tread but that dosent mean crap in ice....

My black truck is now white on the front end till about mid door...:throw:

04SVTRACING
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Well I didn't have to drive the L on monday. I was lucky enough that my mom was off for the holiday. So I stole my daily driver back from her. Yesterday that was a different story I had no choice but to drive the L. I was on the road at 4:15 in the morning. I just had to take my time on the way in. It usually takes me about 25 minutes or so, but yesterday it took me 45 minutes. I didn't really have any troubles. I just took my time and drove about 40 mph. However when I got to work I had alittle fun in the parking lot. :tex

ChronicReign
01-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I drove my L both of the ice days we have had. Luckily, I only drive about 5 miles away for work, so it wasn't too bad. I agree though, I had no traction until about 30 mph. Before that I would just kick my ass end out any time I gave it just the slightest bit of gas.

Did have a little trouble getting up the slope in my driveway. After 10 tries or so I finally made it up onto the street. There was on turn on the way home that I lost it and slid towards a stopsign. Luckily I stopped before bumping into it, but it still sucked.

The Nitto DRs in the back really help with traction in ice :d (insert sarcasm here). Can't wait for more, I hear we are supposed to get hit again.

SVTJoseCuervo
01-18-2007, 12:08 PM
I drove to get some food..then I parked that hoe in the garage again..I was driving slow so i didnt have any problems

BC Lightning
01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
didnt have to drive my L. I drove my beater around in the ice and snow, gotta love how Corvettes handle in the ice, if I were to hit a patch the Active traction system would keep me straight :D

WA 2 FST
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
My L and my Z06 haven't been outside in over a week. :(

I'm glad it's raining now. Hopefully we'll get enough to wash all that sand+crap off the roads. Otherwise, when it's dry out you get sand-blasted on the highway. No thanks!

gbgary
01-18-2007, 03:40 PM
my truck's a DD. my ass had a real tight grip on the seat. :tongue:

i'm ready for them to clean-up all the damn sand now.

bluesvt
01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
10 miles and a little over a hour later at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday morn. Once I got to work 3 hours later they told me to go home. :hammer:

whitelightning'02
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Not me...... my garage queen stayed put...... I rode the ATV over to the firehouse and back.................... glad I still fit in my snowmobile suit....brrrrrrrrrr.

diablolightning
01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I didn't drive mine, cuz it's broke:flaming:

Tex Arcana
01-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I didn't take mine out at all during all this, and on Monday morning I took the Pacifica (Mercedes-sourced ESP) to take Randy to work. It took a buttload of time to get the ice on the windshield cleared, but it did alright overall.

The last time I drove my L in ice/snow was back in 2003, when that storm blew through and we all get sent home early, and I made the mistake of thinking taking Josey to 121 to Legacy was a good idea; but the L did fine, seeing as I did the 2nd gear thing the whole way, and the only time I had any wheelspin was when my foot jerked and I broke loose, beyond that I was passing people I really had no business in passing.

The key is to just put it in 2nd, then let the idle pull you from a standstil, and to try your best to not spin the tires, and to take your time. :tu: