PDA

View Full Version : Wierd electrical problems

lenard_hester
01-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Ok, I have been trying to do some research on the problems and I have found a few people with similar problems, I just wanted to get some others opinions.

First, this all started last Saturday when it started raining. I was out and about, and when I unlocked my truck with my remote keyless entry, the brake lights started flickering, and I got in the truck and a few relay's were clicking rapidly, itall stopped when I started the truck.

The second occurance happened during the week, the same thing happened with a different set of relays (sounded like it was soming from a different location).

The third problem happened tonight and this is where things started to get big. First, when I stopped my truck, the climate control system (heater, A/C, etc.) did not turn off. Later in the evening, when I would take my truck out of park, the stereo cluster would go off and the stereo would no longer work, and the windshield wiper control was non responsive(i.e. if the wipers were on in park they would stay on, I can't change the speed either). If I put the truck in park the radio would come back on and the windshield wipers would start responding. If I manually turn off the A/C controls then is would stop blowing.

Now, after some research I have found someone with similar problems here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/517872-gem-module-problem.html

So I think it may be the GEM module. According to my research most of the time the problems are caused by the GEM getting wet. So my questions are these, do you think that after it dries out it will be fine? Where would be the most likely place for water to come in to get the GEM wet? If the module is shot how easy is replacement, and is it something I can do myself? Does anyone have an interior wiring diagram for a Lightning?(please chime in if you agree or disagree or can answer any of this.)

99WhiteBeast
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Do you park outside? Aftermarket hood of anykind?

lenard_hester
01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, I park outside, and no, I don't have an aftermarket hood.

99WhiteBeast
01-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Maybe the drip rails off the windshield are clogged wiith debris:confused:

lenard_hester
01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe the drip rails off the windshield are clogged wiith debris:confused:
I will check immediately.

Ohmsby
01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
This is what lightnings should do when it's cold and rainy2189

+ 1 on the drains

lenard_hester
01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok, I checkd the drip rails, and they aren't clogged. I did start everything up again and it looks like over night the radio problem went away, but the A/C problem is still present. With day light I got a chance to look under the dash at the fuse area and I noticed some slight rust coloration on some of the steel parts, is that normal or a clear indication of water leaking in?

Some things I was thinking of as to where water may come in, I think it was last Friday when it started raining real hard I hit a rather large puddle on the road because the storm drain had backed up is there a chance that too much water got into the engine bay and through the firewall into the dash? Another thought is that my truck was broken into last month and the thief stole my radar detector off my windshield, do you think that in doing that he may have pushed too hard on the windsheild and unseated it? Is there any way to get my windshield check for proper sealing?

This is what lightnings should do when it's cold and rainy2189

I wish I had that luxury, but it is my daily driver so...

Tex Arcana
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Some things I was thinking of as to where water may come in, I think it was last Friday when it started raining real hard I hit a rather large puddle on the road because the storm drain had backed up is there a chance that too much water got into the engine bay and through the firewall into the dash? Another thought is that my truck was broken into last month and the thief stole my radar detector off my windshield, do you think that in doing that he may have pushed too hard on the windsheild and unseated it? Is there any way to get my windshield check for proper sealing?

From the link you posted:

chk the connection through the firewall ! In the past there have been some loose pins and water intrusion into the connector
Rich

Chances are this is your problem. Unless you had the radar detector barnacle-glued to the windshield and they pried it out with a crowbar, I doubt seriously they were able to hurt the windshield. And, given that you did the puddle-splash (I wish we had better splashguards under the motor), that might've done it. I'd say find your wiring connector in the firewall, and hit it with a hairdryer, and see if things don't clear up.

lenard_hester
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, as of this afternoon everything is back to normal, everything works. So I guess the lesson is this....DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH LARGE PUDDLES!