PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy wheels W/ slicks

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I have done a lot of reading and think I have it narrowed down but let's hear your input

I plan on purchasing rear wheels and slicks and front wheels W/ skinnies

I think I will need a 30" rear

wesman
02-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I have done a lot of reading and think I have it narrowed down but let's hear your input

The wheels depend on your budget. There are tons of them out there that fit.

The lightest/best I know of are the bogarts. They are pricey and can be had in just about any size. I beleive they are custom made to order.

As far as slicks, I went with the M&H because they were the only ones that made a 30" slick for 16" wheels. If you are ok with shaving your rear calipers there are several more choices for 30" slicks on 15" rims.

I went with American Racing F/R, the fronts aren't true skinnies but they're good enough for me right now. I bought them from Adam, but I beleive they can also be custom ordered in the offest/width that you want. They are considerably cheaper than the Bogarts but of course aren't as nice or light.

--wes

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 01:53 PM
The wheels depend on your budget. There are tons of them out there that fit.

The lightest/best I know of are the bogarts. They are pricey and can be had in just about any size. I beleive they are custom made to order.

As far as slicks, I went with the M&H because they were the only ones that made a 30" slick for 16" wheels. If you are ok with shaving your rear calipers there are several more choices for 30" slicks on 15" rims.

I went with American Racing F/R, the fronts aren't true skinnies but they're good enough for me right now. I bought them from Adam, but I beleive they can also be custom ordered in the offest/width that you want. They are considerably cheaper than the Bogarts but of course aren't as nice or light.
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg
--wes

16"Bogart W/ 5.5 backspace on 11" W rim with M&H 30" slick and 15x5 on the front?? or should I go 6.5 backspace on 12" rim. I obviously don't have a lot of experience on this topic.

I would like it to tuck under the truck like a stock wheel and rim

tiffo60
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
16"Bogart W/ 5.5 backspace on 11" W rim with M&H 30" slick and 15x5 on the front?? or should I go 6.5 backspace on 12" rim. I obviously don't have a lot of experience on this topic.

I would like it to tuck under the truck like a stock wheel and rim

you might have to go with 16's on the front too to get them to fit over the calipers

L8 APEX
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
If you are planning on going fast you better get 15's for the rear.

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
If you are planning on going fast you better get 15's for the rear. Can you explain what the difference is again not my expertise 16" or 15" rears

Sixpipes
02-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Can you explain what the difference is again not my expertise 16" or 15" rears

More sidewall = more traction as a general rule. That is one reason low profile drag radials don't work all that well. I had some 315/35ZR17s on my Lightning back in 2000 and they weren't much better than stock tires.

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
More sidewall = more traction as a general rule. That is one reason low profile drag radials don't work all that well. I had some 315/35ZR17s on my Lightning back in 2000 and they weren't much better than stock tires.

Thanks how much Grinding are we talking on the calipers for the 15's

L8 APEX
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I prefer not to think about it I just do it.

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I prefer not to think about it I just do it.
:eek: that's what I figured

Don's Bolt
02-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Well it all depends on how you do it.

There is the hack way, which is just to grind till the wheel fits. The problem with that way is you remove so much material that there isn't much left between by the piston.

The right way to do it
Take the differential cover off, remove the axles, remove the brakes(and I mean everything) Take the backing plate off, and modify the holes so you can move the plate foward about 1/4 of a inch. This allows you to move the whole caliper foward close to 1/4 of a inch. When you do it this way you also have to put the rotor on a lathe and ramove about 1/4 inch all the way around the rotor. Then you put the brakes back together, put the axles back in, replace the differential cover and refil the rear end.

Doing it this way you may still have to grind the caliper a little, but you are not removing so much metal, that the pistons are barelly held in place by any metal.

I have seen it done both ways, and to be honest the first way scares me. I have even heard of a few people who ground so far, they hit the piston, and ruined the caliper.

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I would do it the way Don speaks of above if I had it to do over again. :cool:

dboat
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I would do it the way Don speaks of above if I had it to do over again. :cool:

I was waiting to hear what you had to say about it.. you been dere and done dat..

Dana

However, I have 16" slicks.. is there really that much difference? with the 15" slicks I mean..

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I was waiting to hear what you had to say about it.. you been dere and done dat..

Dana

However, I have 16" slicks.. is there really that much difference? with the 15" slicks I mean..

+1 wouldn't it only be 1/2 inch of side wall:tex I am getting the feedback I wanted from the been there got the t-shirt crowd thanks for the info

Mark #2
02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, a "Baaston" guy posting to a Tx site.:D
Me, Norton MA, home of better "eaton" at Wheaton college, before it went coed and I moved here, Don where in MA?

GoldLS1
02-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Ehhhh... I did my camaro by using a bigass grinder, blue welders marking paint, and the 15" prostar (w/o the tire mounted is preferred). It took awhile, no doubt. But I dont think I removed any excessive metal. Just take ur time and pay attention. Grind where it rubs off the paint. Oh yeah, safety glasses are recommended, extra grinding wheels (Id get some real course ones then some fine ones) and put something down unless you want metal dust EVERYWHERE!!

Sixpipes
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Dana

As the power goes up, 15" slicks have proven more effective than 16 inchers. However, at the power levels most folks are running 350-450 rwhp, I personally don't think there is any significant performance increases with regards to traction. Keep in mind that the standard race format is bracket racing so you just want repeatable/predictable performance. So most folks should be good with 16" slicks, but if you are trying to get maximum performance out of your truck, then 15 inch slicks are a better choice. :cool:

Sandman
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I have 12" rims. My truck is super fast. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

dboat
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
As the power goes up, 15" slicks have proven more effective than 16 inchers. However, at the power levels most folks are running 350-450 rwhp, I personally don't think there is any significant performance increases with regards to traction. Keep in mind that the standard race format is bracket racing so you just want repeatable/predictable performance. So most folks should be good with 16" slicks, but if you are trying to get maximum performance out of your truck, then 15 inch slicks are a better choice. :cool:

thanks.. I bought Tliss' old ones and they seem to work pretty well.. dont know what they are, but he is trustworthy...

Dana

Ohmsby
02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
What about the backspacing and overall width:D

03LightningRocks
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM

I would agree with this 100%. The only other benefit to 15" is that there seems to be more options in slick/tire choices.

BigBobsL
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I believe John Armstrong has a set of lightly used M&H slicks on 16" Bogarts for sale on the HALO board if you are interested.

Ohmsby
02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I believe John Armstrong has a set of lightly used M&H slicks on 16" Bogarts for sale on the HALO board if you are interested.
please PM him for me I am interested but I do not have the triple secret decoder ring for the HALO board or PM me his #

I emailed him. HALO members personal email is available to any schmo but I cant read the forum without getting hazed and branded or know the secret handshake or something

04 RedApple
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Might want to talk with Alex in Houston!
http://haloclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16298

Silver_2000
02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Might want to talk with Alex in Houston!
http://haloclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16298

most of the folks here cant see the posts on the houston forum

Here is his post
Alex Lansky:

Am returning my truck to stock as I plan to sell it, have some nice, parts that are going to be available in the next few days. Of course am listing here before posting on NLOC as prefer to give one of you what you hopefully think is great deal.

- Full JLP bassani exhaust, has 900 miles on it, I paid $2300, would like to get $1700 + stock exhaust in exchange.

- Set of Chrome 02 replica wheels with Nitto 555's on the front and 305 Nitto DR on the back, 1500 miles on the tires (tires were $1,000 alone). Would like to get $650 with exchange of a decent set of wheels/tires suitable for a trade-in.

- Bogart Dragstar II' s 16x11 rears and 16x5.5 fronts (yes the fronts are 16's and require no grinding - thanks Bob). Mounted with 30" x 14' Hoosiers and skinnies. Include center caps. Two passes on these, I am not joking, that's it. I paid $2500, would like $1900

-Custom speaker box (light grey carpet) with 10" JBL subs - $175,
JBL 6 channel AMP, I think its 600W, but have to check - $175, these two items are about 6 months old.

Circle D 2400/2500 stall torque converter, 1,500 miles $400

Not sure if I priced things right, so let me know if you are interested but have a different view on value. Thanks...AlexI pm'ed him with a link to this thread - couldnt find an email

Ohmsby
02-15-2007, 06:53 PM
most of the folks here cant see the posts on the houston forum

Here is his post
Alex Lansky:
I pm'ed him with a link to this thread - couldnt find an email

Doug knows the secret handshake:tex

I talked with John Armstrong about purchasing his but I am looking for fronts and rears and this would be better but I do have a deal working with John so I will have to talk to him first.

What gives with the HALO site? can't we all just get along

Silver_2000
02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Doug knows the secret handshake:tex

I talked with John Armstrong about purchasing his but I am looking for fronts and rears and this would be better but I do have a deal working with John so I will have to talk to him first.

What gives with the HALO site? can't we all just get along

Alex asked me to post his number

Would you mind posting my phone number on Talon for me please?

832-386-5501

Thanks a bunch in advance for the help

Alex

Halo has always been really exclusive like that ... I think they meant to ban me a while back... lol :rll:

Ohmsby
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Alex asked me to post his number

Halo has always been really exclusive like that ... I think they meant to ban me a while back... lol :rll:

I'm sure they know if you banned you you would smite them:D