PDA

View Full Version : Weight Question?

Rocks
11-28-2002, 12:02 PM
Seeing as how weight is an influence on good run times, what is the "formula" for weight vs times.

I have read of folks removing tailgates and spare tires to gain times.

Thanks for any responses,
Rocks

Ripster
11-28-2002, 12:08 PM
A general rule of thumb is every 100lbs you lose a 10th of a second can be gained. Ask Andy Cain what bumpers, seats ect weight.

Rocks
11-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Ripster
A general rule of thumb is every 100lbs you lose a 10th of a second can be gained. Ask Andy Cain what bumpers, seats ect weight.

HUMMMMM, so if I loose about 50lbs, shave my head, drive in my boxers...(check that...maybe I'll get some speedoes), skip meals for three days and get an enema just before I race...I'll be able to beat Doug in my 03...stock.

Rocks:d

andy_cain
11-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Frint sway bars = 35 Lbs
Passenger seat = 65 lbs
Tow hitch assembly = 65 Lb or more
Sapre tire = 52 lbs
Stock tires = 65 lbs 0n 01/02 rims
Bumper = guessing 60 lbs
Tailgate = 26 lbs

Other things to strip are , jack, jack tool, washer fluid, floor mats.
The 1/10th per 100 rule seems pretty accurate.

Rocks
11-28-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by andy_cain
Frint sway bars = 35 Lbs
Passenger seat = 65 lbs
Sapre tire = 52 lbs
Bumper = guessing 60 lbs
Tailgate = 26 lbs

Do you typically pull all of those off when you run it?

I know I am getting ahead of myself here, first things first, but I have noticed that several of the ET's seem within 1-3 10's of each other. At that point, weight will oviously mean the difference between a win and loss.

Thanks for the help guys,

Rocks:nana2

andy_cain
11-28-2002, 08:41 PM
Typically, no I don't shave that all off, my last trip I did just to see what the best i could squeeze outta her was with the 300 pounds or so shaved and the cooler air.
Had a 12.4 and some 12.8 runs with 2.125 60 foots (suck) but also set a new personal best of a 12.261 at almost 110 MPH.

I had to take the seat out and sway bar off the front towards the end of the day at FFW as my times were steadily slipping as the motor made more passes with less time to cool and the temp began to climb.
I will take her to Hallsville in a "slender" trim but not stripped to the shell.
Really want to have a 12 flat run on motor only with the new slicks and traction bars before I let her loose on the bottle.
Hopeing to shave my 60 foot from a 1.83 down closer to a 1.65 to 1.75 and drop the ET to a 12 flat...then let the fun begin.:burnout:
Towards the end of the day when i have worked on the launch with the slicks and got that mastered, I will make a launch with a 75 hit of NX and see if i can hit mid 11's without blowing the crap out of it...thus I will be trailering it in.

Sixpipes
11-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Elapsed time is a function of weight and power. If you reduce the weight without changing the power, your 1/4 mile ET will be reduced. Here is a simple ET calculator which demonstrates the same principle. Put in a horsepower number and then alter the vehicle weight without changing the horsepower number and see what happens.

There are a lot of factors trying to predict ET using horsepower/weight fomulas such as track conditions and weather, but you get the idea.

http://car.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html

With the weight and horsepower range of a Lightning, the 1/10 second per 100 pounds is pretty close.

Rocks
11-28-2002, 11:55 PM
That sounds like a pretty good plan Andy.

I have been looking at some engine internals. I am contemplating changing out my internals right off the bat.
I realy do want to push this truck for all I can get out of it and after reading about the blown motors, I am not sure hoiw much it can take.
If I manage to "shoot a rod out my oil pan" I would be facing more expense to repair and then replace internals than to just go ahead and do it when new. What are some thoughts on this? Has anyone done this with a brand new engine?

Thanks for the chart six pipes. That helps to understand the H.P./Weight issue very well.

Rocks

andy_cain
11-29-2002, 08:34 AM
For a daily driver...a 4# lower, properly tuned chip and air intake system should prove to be safe and have no issues,
I would add Denso IT-22's to the list as well, gotta have a good plug....after the mods, do yourself and everyone else a favor...PUT IT ON A DYNO AND GET AN AFR READiNG !!!!!!

Would not be a bad idea to get an AFR# along with HP and TQ from the stock "03" so as to have a base line to measure from as you do start the inevitable mod venture.

You should come out to Hallsville if nothing else to just have a good time.
We have room fo you in out quad cab truck and are only staying the day ...give it some thought and PM me if interested.;)

J.D. Blackwell
11-29-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by andy_cain
Frint sway bars = 35 Lbs
Passenger seat = 65 lbs
Sapre tire = 52 lbs
Bumper = guessing 60 lbs
Tailgate = 26 lbs

Man, I have weighed mine ad come up with different #s. What's up with that?:confused:

Front sway bar 25#
Reciever Hitch 50#
Spare tire 55#
rear bumper 52#
Tailgate 45#

99WhiteBeast
11-30-2002, 12:17 PM
city scales vs country scales- ya'll are little behind the times down there:D

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 12:14 PM
This one is even funnier. When I read this stuff, I feel like I am reading some newby post. I don't even remember asking some of these dip sh!t questions...LOL.

I did notice that not one Talon member crapped on the new guy.....I guess the search button nazis hadn't been created yet.

Rocks:d

I have to go check out some other nubes first posts.

03LightningRocks
09-05-2005, 12:16 PM
I just looked at the date...crap...I didn't even have my truck yet and I was already worrying about how to knock time off my quarter mile passes.