PDA

View Full Version : Whats the sucking sound.... ;-)

Silver_2000
02-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I installed a open filter and throttle body the other day and now I hear a sucking sound like a vacuum leak

When the truck is cold it makes it when ever its in drive at idle - in park the sound goes away - today I put the E brake on really hard and took a look under the hood while reminding myself NOT to rev it and run myself over :nono:

It sounded like a BIG vacuum leak but the truck runs great - its coming from the GENERAL area of the filter but could be anywhere in that 1/4 of the engine bay ...

It also makes a similar sound at about 1/8th throttle when going down the road, another 1/16 inch throttle and it goes away

Any guesses ?

Doug

L8 APEX
02-20-2007, 01:03 AM
It is air in the intake I think some of it is resonating up the tube that feeds the IAC motor. All of those lines connect to the bottom of the inlet boot. Open filter kits make the noise. Now TB's depending on a few variables make whistles and noises depending on how the single blade splits the air.

my2002lightning
02-20-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm running the Air-Raid with stock throttle body and it makes a loud air-sucking sound, too. The L runs fine and no codes thrown.

It's kinda' cool when I park and turn the ignition off, I hear this big exhale-sound from the intake-filter.:bowsknana

I'm by no means a mechanic, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Ronald

Tex Arcana
02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm running the Air-Raid with stock throttle body and it makes a loud air-sucking sound, too. The L runs fine and no codes thrown.

It's kinda' cool when I park and turn the ignition off, I hear this big exhale-sound from the intake-filter.:bowsknana

I'm by no means a mechanic, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Ronald

Yes, but this is becasue red trucks suck. :d :tongue:

I get something of said sound, when I put Ronald's 12" open filter on, but I really didn't think it was abnormal. :shrug: I'm sure it's worse than normal, so is it possible your intake boot got pinched under the TB lip, like mine did lo these many years ago?

wesman
02-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Okay...ummm...where the hell have you been for the last 4 years exactly????

RSVT
02-21-2007, 01:43 AM
mine makes the same sucking noise...only in reverse

wesman
02-21-2007, 01:45 AM
So, you suck backward?????

lol...sorry, but I've been antagonized tonight...it's Jeff's fault :d:beer:

mine makes the same sucking noise...only in reverse

Tex Arcana
02-21-2007, 01:50 PM

lol...sorry, but I've been antagonized tonight...it's Jeff's fault :d:beer:

So how the hell did I antagonize you??? :(

tiffo60
02-21-2007, 02:21 PM
So how the hell did I antagonize you??? :(

pretty sure hes talking about alpine

Alpine
02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
So how the hell did I antagonize you??? :(He didnt say it was you unless your name is Jeff.:confused:

What was making that noise on my truck was the TB gasket opening was smaller than the plenum and TB openings. I think he air was hitting the gasket as it passed over it and made the sound. When I made the opening in the gasket bigger and reinstalled, the noise went away.

Jeff.

Tex Arcana
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
He didnt say it was you unless your name is Jeff.:confused:

What was making that noise on my truck was the TB gasket opening was smaller than the plenum and TB openings. I think he air was hitting the gasket as it passed over it and made the sound. When I made the opening in the gasket bigger and reinstalled, the noise went away.

Jeff.

Hey, he posted this

right after mine, no name no nuffin', so how the hell was I to know?? :hammer:

TXLIGHTNING
02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
So, you suck backward?????

lol...sorry, but I've been antagonized tonight...it's Jeff's fault :d:beer: Im sure that I see Jeff in there somewhere. If you look real hard...:rolleyes: