PDA

View Full Version : Dynamat

tiffo60
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
I ordered some dynamat( actually another brand but i dont know what else to call it) from a place that john turned me on to. It ought to be a time consuming project but Im hoping it reduces road noise in the truck and hopefully tunes out some of the exhaust noise in the cab.:cool:

http://www.bquiet.com/extreme.html

Fuzion
03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Bquiet it some good stuff, my friends use it.

I have Dynamat sitting in my room, it will be installed shortly along with the full system. Can't wait! Might actually be able to talk on the phone and drive at the same time (which is hard)

I am doing the back cab wall, floor, and the doors. Will do the roof at some point, but not for awhile.

tiffo60
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I bought the 50ft roll so im planning on it to be enough to do the floor, back wall, doors, roof and double up on some of it, any where i can stick it is the plan:d

Sandman
03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I ordered some dynamat( actually another brand but i dont know what else to call it) from a place that john turned me on to. It ought to be a time consuming project but Im hoping it reduces road noise in the truck and hopefully tunes out some of the exhaust noise in the cab.:cool:

http://www.bquiet.com/extreme.html

Don't cover up the vent holes in the back of the cab (which is where most of the noise comes from :( ). I've heard it would eventually blow the seal on the windshield if you did.

Fuzion
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I bought the 50ft roll so im planning on it to be enough to do the floor, back wall, doors, roof and double up on some of it, any where i can stick it is the plan:d

No need to double up on it, that will not make a difference.

wesman
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey Tiff,

shoot me some info on that....when I install all my stereo stuff and replace the carpet I'd liek to take care of this as well

--wes

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Don't cover up the vent holes in the back of the cab (which is where most of the noise comes from :( ). I've heard it would eventually blow the seal on the windshield if you did.

We discussed this in another thread, where I posted this:

well, I did a bit of digging, but I can't find where I posted a bit of advice regarding this, and it centers around the cab vents under the back window. They are essentially openings that are about 2" by 5", with those little rubber flaps they put in them. Supposedly they prevent air from getting in, and let air out when you slam the doors, but they don't really stop infiltration too well, and they let a whole lot fo sound in. Ken Cryder sealed his off, which helped with the sound, but made it hard as hell to close his doors, and I'm still waiting for the day a window or his windshield pop out from the pressure.

What I came up with, was taking something like Dynamat, and setting it up such that you had about a 1" opening at the bottom on the outside, and a similar one at the top on the inside, and loosely stuffing insulation in the middle.

Kinda like this ("inside" is left):
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/ventmod.JPG

The red stuff on the sides it dynamat or somesuch, the pink stuff in the middle is the insulation. This way, you still have a release path for sudden air pressure changes (door slams), and you get noise and air intrusion resistance as well.

One point was made in that, and in others, that the deployment of the airbags could be a problem; but as long as the openings that are left are sufficiently large (say, an inch), it shouldn't be too much a problem. Again, yet another crazy quote:

BTW, I figured out the failure mode of this thing (I think of the strangest things while in the shower:rll:):

http://i7.tinypic.com/212bu5l.jpg

Remember that the Dynamat will have exposed adhesive holding the shape of the insulation. On the inside, it'll cup into the cavity, and compress the insulation under it, while the insulation where the air rushes thru will compress some, but will not impede the air. On the outside, it'll peel away, and actually open up the cavity, and let some of the insulation push out, but it won't impede anything.

So, take that as you will, just some thoughts on how to handle the vents. :cool:

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh, I got me a sample of that stuff, it's pretty neat.

Ohmsby
03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I did a high speed field test with an 03 Lightning and can report no ill effect covering the vent holes.

01 also covered no further testing needed:D

wesman
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I did a high speed field test with an 03 Lightning and can report no ill effect covering the vent holes.

I'll take real world experience over hypothesis anyday :tex:tu:

L-Fever
03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Sound Muffler for Covering the Mouth

Patent no. 4,834,212

Issued: May 30, 1989

Inventors: Moira and Frank Figone, Belmont, CA

http://www.bpmlegal.com/gif/yell.gif Aaaaargh!

A device into which a person may yell or scream without disturbing others, allowing him to vent built-up anger and frustration. The interior of the muffler is coated with foam. A microphone can be included to pick up a some sound and activate a light display or meter giving the user immediate visual feedback as to the intensity of sound produced.

wesman
03-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Sound Muffler for Covering the Mouth

Patent no. 4,834,212

Issued: May 30, 1989

Inventors: Moira and Frank Figone, Belmont, CA

http://www.bpmlegal.com/gif/yell.gif Aaaaargh!

A device into which a person may yell or scream without disturbing others, allowing him to vent built-up anger and frustration. The interior of the muffler is coated with foam. A microphone can be included to pick up a some sound and activate a light display or meter giving the user immediate visual feedback as to the intensity of sound produced.

That's just asking for trouble.....what if you're using that with earplugs and sneeze? I bet your head would explode

Stay away....far far away :throw::evil

L-Fever
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
That's just asking for trouble.....what if you're using that with earplugs and sneeze? I bet your head would explode

Stay away....far far away :throw::evil

:rll:

Chris94L
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM

I think the passenger door effectively became the cabin vent in that case though ;)

Tex Arcana
03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I'll take real world experience over hypothesis anyday :tex:tu:

No kiddng! :tongue:

Speaking of... just thought of this.. there is a nice big hole already that air can vent thru... the ventilation system. :tu:

tiffo60
03-12-2007, 09:09 AM
well we finished the truck saturday thanks to the help of john, mike, and a little from steve:d , it was a chore and we still didnt have enough material to finish the roof, It took exactly 70 sqft to do the floor, entire back cab all the way up the back pillars and both doors, it will probally take another 10sqft or so to do the roof so that will get done before to long. The final results are amazing to me, I can talk on my cell phone at 80mph with no problems, road noise and exhaust drone was greatly reduced. Great mod in my book:tu:

Ohmsby
03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
A few pics from the mod party

should have bought the 100' roll like I told you to:tex

I bought a 100' roll(comes in two boxes) and plan on doing the Gen1 on a rainy weekend:twitch:

gagspa
03-12-2007, 09:21 AM
well we finished the truck saturday thanks to the help of john, mike, and a little from steve:d , it was a chore and we still didnt have enough material to finish the roof, It took exactly 70 sqft to do the floor, entire back cab all the way up the back pillars and both doors, it will probally take another 10sqft or so to do the roof so that will get done before to long. The final results are amazing to me, I can talk on my cell phone at 80mph with no problems, road noise and exhaust drone was greatly reduced. Great mod in my book:tu:

How much total weight do you think that you added?

tiffo60
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM

30lbs tops

Ohmsby
03-12-2007, 09:29 AM

20lbs tops and we threw away the factory jack so it is probably more like 15lbs then we cleaned all the chit out from under his seats and the truck is probably lighter than when we started:rll:

tiffo60
03-12-2007, 09:30 AM
should have bought the 100' roll like I told you to:tex

I bought a 100' roll(comes in two boxes) and plan on doing the Gen1 on a rainy weekend:twitch:

funny you change your story now:hammer: , hit me up when your ready to do the G1:tu:

L-Fever
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Yeah, I was a little distracted! :hammer: John's wireless interweb access was broken! Couldn't sleep until it was fixed!...:rll:

Fuzion
03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I've got the intentions of doing Dynamat this weekend. Anybody want to help with some more action?

Ohmsby
03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I've got the intentions of doing Dynamat this weekend. Anybody want to help with some more action?

I will be in Las Vegas @ a McDonald's convention otherwise I would offer a little help

03LightningRocks
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I put dynomat in the doors of my F250. It didn't seem to help much, so I stopped. Maybe I should have done the floors before giving up. I was trying to block out the sounds of the diesel motor. I did some reading on the stuff and found out that even the manufacturer didn't claim the dynomat would keep out noise. They said it was for dampening vibration caused by stereo speakers. They had some other product they said was to help keep outside noise outside. Anyway, I am a bit surprised that the dynomat blocked out the sounds from the exhaust. I would try about anything if it would quieten the thrashing sounds from this damned diesel.

Silver_2000
03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I put dynomat in the doors of my F250. It didn't seem to help much, so I stopped. Maybe I should have done the floors before giving up. I was trying to block out the sounds of the diesel motor. I did some reading on the stuff and found out that even the manufacturer didn't claim the dynomat would keep out noise. They said it was for dampening vibration caused by stereo speakers. They had some other product they said was to help keep outside noise outside. Anyway, I am a bit surprised that the dynomat blocked out the sounds from the exhaust. I would try about anything if it would quieten the thrashing sounds from this damned diesel.
Dynamat is a vibration preventer ... Example being the chrome bell they use a sa sales tool they stick a small piece of dynamat to the bell and it goes thud rather than ringing - BUT is not stopping the sound its stopping the bell from vibrating to create the sound ...

Ohmsby
03-12-2007, 12:47 PM

I have had good luck with it reducing the noise in the L's I have thought about doing my Dodge Diesel but I don't know how long I am going to keep it

IMHO the floors and the further up the firewall you could go on the diesel would be a good improvement

Tex Arcana
03-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Did you guys manage to do the firewall as well?

tiffo60
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Did you guys manage to do the firewall as well?

we only went up to about the petals, I would have had to pull the entire dash out of it to do the firewall and that wasnt happening

L-Fever
03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
This stuff looks promising!

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=1&p=ps

Tex Arcana
03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
This stuff looks promising!

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=1&p=ps

Yah, a friend of mine is a huge proponent of this, says for the price of Dynamat you can do steps 1 thru 3 (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ps) and get superior results. :cool:

5W0P3
03-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Sweet Tiffo, now you can help me do mine!

tiffo60
03-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Sweet Tiffo, now you can help me do mine!

not a problem, i would buy 100 sqft and then you can get the roof done too

Sandman
03-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Tiff,

How long did it take to do your truck?

I think I'm about to order some and do my truck.

tiffo60
03-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Tiff,

How long did it take to do your truck?

I think I'm about to order some and do my truck.

i would dedicate 8-10 hours to get it done :tu:

BC Lightning
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
i would dedicate 8-10 hours to get it done :tu:

and to really do a good job about 100ft of dynamat or product of your choice

We started out with 50 ft and it wasn't enough

When riding with Tiffo you could tell that alot of the road noises were gone, the exhaust also was quieter, but the dynamat didn't help when going WOT

Ohmsby
03-27-2007, 10:51 AM
and to really do a good job about 100ft of dynamat or product of your choice

We started out with 50 ft and it wasn't enough

When riding with Tiffo you could tell that alot of the road noises were gone, the exhaust also was quieter, but the dynamat didn't help when going WOT

I told him to get a 100 roll:tex

tiffo60
03-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I told him to get a 100 roll:tex

just couldnt resist could ya:hammer:

gagspa
03-27-2007, 04:27 PM
The exhaust in my Bullitt creates quite a drone on the highway. In order to cut down the drone on the interior, would installing this stuff in the trunk and floor be effective? Would I really need to do the doors? Roof?

Or is it really going to make much of a difference?

tiffo60
03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
The exhaust in my Bullitt creates quite a drone on the highway. In order to cut down the drone on the interior, would installing this stuff in the trunk and floor be effective? Would I really need to do the doors? Roof?

Or is it really going to make much of a difference?

to get the full effect i would do everything, you could get back by not doing the roof, but i would do the truck, floor, doors, rear pillars, just about anywhere you could stick it:D

Sandman
01-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Good reading on the subject. (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/which/)

When I do this I think I'll stay away from the asphalt based stuff.

L8 APEX
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I used the cheap stuff in my L due to ends dog. I have used DMat Exterme ever since. No small and good performance. It is a vibration product not a noise prodcut. So for just quiet you need more insulation like padding nigga.

We used the foil backed bubble wrap in C5's it is in the materials isel of Home Depto. Cheap! Cause the C5 C6 wheel wells roar behind the rdiver.

Sandman
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Yup.. the author said the asphalt based stuff appeared to be the same as the peel 'n seal that you could buy in the roofing dept of home depot.

L8 APEX
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Never seen it at the depto but it is a resoance control product not a silencer. Ggrrrrrr. darkeness ************s!

tiffo60
01-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Brought this one back from the dead :)

Sandman
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
yeah I did.. Rule #2. 1:27 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5-GOG8SXo) :)

03LightningRocks
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
yeah I did.. Rule #2. 1:27 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5-GOG8SXo) :)

Hmmm...I think I am little Billy.

ZeusSVT
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Hmmm...I think I am little Billy.

Hey Rocks, long time no see!!! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/wave2.gif

03LightningRocks
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Howdy.....I pop in every once in awhile to check on Terry. I see he still hasn't offed himself....all is good with the world.:beer:

my2002lightning
01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Uncle Rocks! What's up?

ZeusSVT
01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Howdy.....I pop in every once in awhile to check on Terry. I see he still hasn't offed himself....all is good with the world.:beer:

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/images/smilies/omgrofl.gif

Sandman
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Just like Rocks to come in and hijack a thread;)

Long time no see. How goes it?

03LightningRocks
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Just like Rocks to come in and hijack a thread;)

Long time no see. How goes it?

I said I am like Billy in the film...just learning the interweb thingy. I'm doing good...you doing alright?

03LightningRocks
01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Holy cow it's....:ron:. Hows it going?

my2002lightning
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Just keepin' it real and flying below the radar-screen.:cool:

Holy cow it's....:ron:. Hows it going?

Ohmsby
01-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I saw Ronald at a Talon meeting.... If we could get Rocks and Tex to the same meeting who knows what the possibilities are

L8 APEX
01-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Thanks, I have a gamble in the works and a date in mind in case I lose my bet:evil

Tex Arcana
01-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I saw Ronald at a Talon meeting.... If we could get Rocks and Tex to the same meeting who knows what the possibilities are

The universe would implode and take everyone with it...

Ohmsby
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Holy mackerel the trifecta is complete

my2002lightning
01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Never. TALON has the gravitational pull of 10,000 Suns.... or something.:icon_mrgreen:

03LightningRocks
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I have a gamble in the works and a date in mind in case I lose my bet:evil

I only ask that you warn me first.....:evil.

03LightningRocks
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Never. TALON has the gravitational pull of 10,000 Suns.... or something.:icon_mrgreen:

It's funny, I feel a sudden urge to start flaming them...:evil.

ZeusSVT
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry, off topic like the last 20 posts or so, but I'm LOL'ing at John's new avatar. :rll::rll:

FRDRCING
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM

The possibilities would be endless.

John I agree with Michael, that new avatar is hilarious.

Tex Arcana
01-30-2009, 06:15 PM

DO IT!!! DO IT NOOOOWWW!!!!:eek:

tiffo60
01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
DO IT!!! DO IT NOOOOWWW!!!!:eek:

wow he actually is still alive:eek:

my2002lightning
01-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Bring it on ClownShoes...:evil

Tex Arcana
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
wow he actually is still alive:eek:

Say it once... say it twice... third time's the charm!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/beetlejuice.png