PDA

View Full Version : Belt removal

Cartel
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
So um am I missing something on changing out the engine belt? The supercharger one is no prob but I dont see how this other one goes. I hope its right in front of my eyes and im missing it....

Silver_2000
03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
There is a belt diagram on the rad cover

If you dont have your diagram search the web for it

If you are running a caged pulley you will need to pull the cage

Cartel
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeha iv got the belt diagram on the rad cover. It looked like I had to pull the cage off but I was suuure there was an easier way. But no I forgot its a ford haha. So after some searching I found I need to pull the cage off.

Thanks anyways!

L8 APEX
03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I'd throw a 4# pulley on while it is off ;) I have pulleys, pulley tools and GoodYear Gatorback belts in stock.

Cartel
03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Haha im sure you have everything man. Id need so much more then just the pulley and belt. Wouldnt I need a tuner? And with me leaving in 2 weeks you being 2 hours away something not adding up. I wish I was in town because im really not looking forward to changning my plugs either....

Cartel
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Alright so im not having good luck with this belt crap. I got around to working on the L today. I got the cage bolts off. But now the pulley is kicking my butt. I know its reverse thread. But of course its moving when I try to loosen it. I read over on nloc about a torque converter lock up tool. Ima check out if we have this at work. If not where can I get one? Also never have used this tool how does it work. Thanks fellas!

Silver_2000
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Alright so im not having good luck with this belt crap. I got around to working on the L today. I got the cage bolts off. But now the pulley is kicking my butt. I know its reverse thread. But of course its moving when I try to loosen it. I read over on nloc about a torque converter lock up tool. Ima check out if we have this at work. If not where can I get one? Also never have used this tool how does it work. Thanks fellas!

its just a strap of metal - you can make one

You pull one of the converter bolts and connect the strap to bolt hole on cover

just remember to remove it before you try to start it

Cartel
03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Anyone have a pic so I can make one? Also I was searching on the interweb and I found something that siad that 99's and 00's have an inspection hole I can put a socket in and put on the torque converter drain plug and that should hold it. That true? And also I havent had a chance to take a good look at it because it got dark on me but why cant it come off as an assembly after taking the 3 nuts off?

rickgig
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
If you are running a caged pulley like the original pulley... you can't. You have to remove the lower pulley to change the belt. This is one of the advantages of running an aftermarket uncaged pulley.

You also have to remove the center bolt in the pulley to remove it from the engine. You can do a search and find all the input you need to do this yourself with the right tools.

LocoLightning02
03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Haha im sure you have everything man. Id need so much more then just the pulley and belt. Wouldnt I need a tuner? And with me leaving in 2 weeks you being 2 hours away something not adding up. I wish I was in town because im really not looking forward to changning my plugs either....

It is worth the two hour drive to watch Terry work his magic:d . I made it last week. You will spend hours doing what he does in seconds. Pulled crank, put on 6lb changed plugs in less than hour and half. The best tuner around for L.
Me personally would drive 3 hours!! I know it would be better than the 36hrs im fixing to spend in the driveway:hammer:

Silver_2000
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Anyone have a pic so I can make one? Also I was searching on the interweb and I found something that siad that 99's and 00's have an inspection hole I can put a socket in and put on the torque converter drain plug and that should hold it. That true? And also I havent had a chance to take a good look at it because it got dark on me but why cant it come off as an assembly after taking the 3 nuts off?

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=37

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/contents/image.php?sizex=200&sizey=200&image%5B0%5D=images/products/pulley_tool.gif