PDA

View Full Version : Whipple mid-plate problem....ideas?

Highlander540
03-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Looking for some ideas.

I upgraded to a 01-style lower intake manifold from my 2000 type.
In doing so I traded my 2000 style Whipple mid-plate for a 2001 type.

When trying to fit the intercooler to the billet mid-plate it turns out 10 of the 11 threaded holes were stripped or were over tightened at some point before I got it. The Whipple manual states 96 inch pounds, the bolts started to spin at my first sequence of 40 inch pounds.

Any ideas on a fix, I am not keen on tapping the holes, as the next size up bolt is an M6, much bigger than the M5 that is there now. I doubt it would even fit.

charlie
03-18-2007, 10:52 PM
You will have to drill and tap to the next size, or weld the holes and re tap them the correct size. Well that would be the proper way to do it. The cheap way..... JB weld, although, I do not think I would trust that.

Charlie

slick-svt
03-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Could you have some one heli-arc the holes and then drill and tap them to the correct size? Or how about a heli-coil? Just throwing out some ideas. :confused:

L-Fever
03-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Looking for some ideas.

I upgraded to a 01-style lower intake manifold from my 2000 type.
In doing so I traded my 2000 style Whipple mid-plate for a 2001 type.

When trying to fit the intercooler to the billet mid-plate it turns out 10 of the 11 threaded holes were stripped or were over tightened at some point before I got it. The Whipple manual states 96 inch pounds, the bolts started to spin at my first sequence of 40 inch pounds.

Any ideas on a fix, I am not keen on tapping the holes, as the next size up bolt is an M6, much bigger than the M5 that is there now. I doubt it would even fit.

Try getting a 5mm longer bolt in the same size and try it on a couple of the holes and do not over tighten. Use plenty of blue loctite .We had 2 holes on 2 whipple installs strip out and this worked for us. I think you need a socket cap screw that is 10mmx1.5mmx40mm in length. I don't have my whipple instructions in front of me. I think the stock bolts are 35mm in length.

L8 APEX
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
The next larger size could be SAE #8 or #10? Whatever you do remember that if it comes loose it is going into the cylinder.

Highlander540
03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
The next larger size could be SAE #8 or #10? Whatever you do remember that if it comes loose it is going into the cylinder.

Yup I know, thats why I wanted everyones opinion. The whole thing sucks I traded my perfect midplate for this grrrrr. That and after fitting the new lower manifold I noticed that one of the bolts that hold the fuel rail in place is broken off and jammed in there....cool.
Sometimes I just walk away from the project....sigh.

Oh I know it states to use red loctite to secure the bolts, any other options to make sure the bolts stay put?

Thanks for all the ideas guys.