PDA

View Full Version : OK, input needed.... Organizing a HUGE meet

02TrueBlu
03-23-2007, 01:01 AM
As some of you know me and some other Lightning owners were looking to put on a pretty big Lightning only meet. Right now its looking like it is going to be in Austin. Seems like that place is just a few hours from all of us in the larger surrounding cities. Id really like to get just about EVERY Lightning enthusiast out there.

Now for the big one.... Im not too familiar with Austin. Are there any large restraunts that would be willing to host a show/meet for us? And if we were to have a meet would everyone want to have like a cruise that night, maybe a track (1/4 mile) outing that evening? Are there even any good tracks in Austin? There are the problems at hand right now and are looking to get as much input as possible. Thanks again

gagspa
03-23-2007, 08:10 AM
When we were looking around for a meet for our Texas Mach I/Bullitt Shootout we found that the track in Rusk, Texas was the best option for a centrally located, well run, inexpensive track.

02TrueBlu
03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
that all the input i get?? we are lookin to have the meet in Austin or Dallas. I know a bunch of you are more centralized around Dallas, but Austin is more central for 3/4 of the people wanting to attend this. From the looks of it some people are wanting to make a 2 day event out of it. How many people would be willing to drive to Austin and make a weekend out of it... thanks!

tiffo60
03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
i could more than likely make it on a saturday but i would head back sat night

Silver_2000
03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I think that you will get better response if you post more details

Many folks here have been to national events and have helped organize local events etc etc -

It wouldnt surprise me that some are sitting back waiting to see what this will be, before committing

You need the who, what, where, when, why and how much

Doug

02TrueBlu
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Good deal, I was going to post more details but was kinda looking for feedback prior to. Right now this is what I got... Still a little broad, waiting on a few replies from some guys in Austin and HALO.

Who: Every Lightning owner in Texas (HALO, TALON, AUSTINSVT, and what ever other boards i can find)

Where: Looks like Austin (tentative on EXACT location)

When: TBD

How Much: That all depends on whether or not its a 1 or 2 day event.

Why: Bringin Texas Lightning owners together

I think that you will get better response if you post more details

Many folks here have been to national events and have helped organize local events etc etc -

It wouldnt surprise me that some are sitting back waiting to see what this will be, before committing

You need the who, what, where, when, why and how much

Doug

wesman
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Good deal, I was going to post more details but was kinda looking for feedback prior to. Right now this is what I got... Still a little broad, waiting on a few replies from some guys in Austin and HALO.

Who: Every Lightning owner in Texas (HALO, TALON, AUSTINSVT, and what ever other boards i can find)

Where: Looks like Austin (tentative on EXACT location)

When: TBD

How Much: That all depends on whether or not its a 1 or 2 day event.

Why: Bringin Texas Lightning owners together

Doug's right, I was waiting to see more details.

you'll find that most people will want to center it around a track event or something fun. It will have to be before it gets too hot, most guys don't wanna go out and hang out at the track in June/July as it's 100+ degrees and the trucks run like crap do to heat.

I'd find a track that is willing to host some sort of event, stage something in th egeneral area. Most will be willing to drive a little bit on the track day (if this is a two day event) but if it's too far you'll find most wont make the trek.

You gotta do the leg work and have a couple of options before most of the folks here will even consider it and think you're serious about it.

--wes

SVTJoseCuervo
03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Austin, Houston or Dallas depending on the date...Im in :burnout:

BC Lightning
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I think this is a good idea and wouldnt mind driving to the Austin/ San Antino area, we did go to Hallsville, TX; Temple, TX and Noble, OK for our Talon Fall Classics.

My only concern is price and time, and would this be in place of our events, like photo shoot and Classic or in addition to.

I ask because I know some have S.O.'s that might only let go to one or the other :rolleyes:

If we could pull off a Texas 100+ Lightning event, I fully support it.

L8 APEX
03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
We are about the only club that pulls more then 5 trucks to the Fall Classic. We are the largest group by a long shot so it should be close to Dallas;) . There aren't 5 Lightnings is all of Austin and the HALO guys can't find Austin:D . All the racers will be at FFW Houston in May. L Fest is in September and that is a national meet only pulling 200 or so. You are looking at a very difficult tast here.

03stx
03-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I say somewhere close to dallas as well. If it is in houston I won't make that trip. Austin maybe. Dallas I will be there no doubt.:)

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Isn't there a time in late fall where a meet could be held at Ennis, and use the track as well?

charlie
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Isn't there a time in late fall where a meet could be held at Ennis, and use the track as well?

+ 1 :tu:

TXLIGHTNING
03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Isn't there a time in late fall where a meet could be held at Ennis, and use the track as well? +2 :tu:

Silver_2000
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
if you search the topic of "using" Ennis has come up

the rental is WAY too high. if you are talking about just having an informal meet at Ennis on street night or something thats different - But to rent Ennis was in the 3000 range per day if memory serves

BC Lightning
03-23-2007, 08:09 PM
if you search the topic of "using" Ennis has come up

the rental is WAY too high. if you are talking about just having an informal meet at Ennis on street night or something thats different - But to rent Ennis was in the 3000 range per day if memory serves

Doug is right

Remember, Ennis is one of the places that was looked into for the TALON Fall Classic

edit:
the thread is closed so I couldn't quote but here is the thread, Dennis posted it @ $2,500 for the day

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9655&page=2

lets also remember how many people said they were going to Noble, OK and didn't show after arrangements were made for food. If this is too happen I say a collection of $$$ needs to take place so people are more likely to make the trip if they already have money dished out for it

BC Lightning
03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
snip, posted from Dennis about the 2005 TALON Fall Classic:

"Dennis

The cost of the track is $2500.00 for the day (December 10), let me know something.

Thank You
Linda"

Sixpipes
03-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking that maybe the Fall Classic could be on Friday night at Ennis and have them run the brackets along with their regular T&T program. Way too early in the year to think about it right now, but we will discuss options before LFest.

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm thinking that maybe the Fall Classic could be on Friday night at Ennis and have them run the brackets along with their regular T&T program. Way too early in the year to think about it right now, but we will discuss options before LFest.

That might make for a viable, inexpensive option for the rest of the Texas gang as well; and if they don't want to do that, and do it on a Saturday, then we do as suggested and make 'em all PAY IN ADVANCE, with no refunds. Guaranteed funds AND attendance. :cool:

Silver_2000
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Doug is right

Remember, Ennis is one of the places that was looked into for the TALON Fall Classic

edit:
the thread is closed so I couldn't quote but here is the thread, Dennis posted it @ $2,500 for the day

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9655&page=2

lets also remember how many people said they were going to Noble, OK and didn't show after arrangements were made for food. If this is too happen I say a collection of $$$ needs to take place so people are more likely to make the trip if they already have money dished out for it

The food was really good but ended up costing a BUNCH due to no shows

BC Lightning
03-24-2007, 02:28 AM
The food was really good but ended up costing a BUNCH due to no shows

yup, the food was really good, but like said we planned for a whole bunch and not many showed

wesman
03-24-2007, 02:37 AM
That might make for a viable, inexpensive option for the rest of the Texas gang as well; and if they don't want to do that, and do it on a Saturday, then we do as suggested and make 'em all PAY IN ADVANCE, with no refunds. Guaranteed funds AND attendance. :cool:

While I like the idea of L owners getting together, I could give a sh!t less if things we do as a club are convenient for other clubs. We are by far the most accomodating club in Tx and get nothing in return. I think we should do whatever our club decides as a whole and if the others can get in where they fit in then right on, if not....oh well

--wes

02TrueBlu
03-24-2007, 08:55 AM
While I like the idea of L owners getting together, I could give a sh!t less if things we do as a club are convenient for other clubs. We are by far the most accomodating club in Tx and get nothing in return. I think we should do whatever our club decides as a whole and if the others can get in where they fit in then right on, if not....oh well

--wes

lol, well thats exactly the spirit i was NOT looking for. if you feel that way then more power to you, but if every city/club felt that way then of course nothing would ever happen. almost sounds like you are trying to make it TALON vs. Every other lightning club in TX. its quite obvious that yall have good turn outs, and that is why i came here, thinkin id get some good feedback and support, not the whole "i dont give a sh!t about every other club, we are better..... yada yada yada..."

wesman
03-24-2007, 11:32 AM
lol, well thats exactly the spirit i was NOT looking for. if you feel that way then more power to you, but if every city/club felt that way then of course nothing would ever happen. almost sounds like you are trying to make it TALON vs. Every other lightning club in TX. its quite obvious that yall have good turn outs, and that is why i came here, thinkin id get some good feedback and support, not the whole "i dont give a sh!t about every other club, we are better..... yada yada yada..."

It's obvious you're new here and the Lightning scene in Tx. We have had events for many years, several of which we try to do thigns that are accomodating for other clubs to have them out at our events. I think I've met a total of three or four other L owners from other clubs in Tx and I've had my truck/been a part of Talon for almost 5 years.

--wes

Silver_2000
03-24-2007, 02:19 PM

His point is that its the OTHER clubs that cant be bothered or are too exclusive to come play. I agree.

Having said that Ill repeat what I said before we have a LOT of enthusiasts here and many of them have had experience attending and planning events.
So put up the details and see who is interested

True Blue Aggie
03-24-2007, 02:52 PM
ABILENE DRAGSTRIP - ABILENE
ALAMO DRAGWAY - SAN ANTONIO
AMARILLO DRAGWAY - AMARILLO
ANGLETON DRAGWAY - ANGLETON
BEN BRUCE MEMORIAL AIRPARK RACEWAY - EVADALE
CEDAR CREEK DRAGWAY - SEVEN POINTS
CHEROKEE COUNTY MOTORSPORTS PARK - RUSK
DENTON DRAGWAY - DENTON
DOLACA MOTORPLEX - MEADOW
EDINBURG INTERNATIONAL RACETRACK - EDINBURG
HALLSVILLE DRAGWAY - HALLSVILLE
HOUSTON MOTORSPORTS PARK - HOUSTON
HOUSTON RACEWAY PARK - BAYTOWN
IDALOU MOTORSPORTS PARK - IDALOU
LONE STAR RACEWAY PARK - SEALY
NAVASOTA RACEWAY - NAVASOTA
PARIS DRAGSTRIP - PARIS
PINE VALLEY RACEWAY PARK (http://www.racereview.com/tx-pine.htm) - LUFKIN
RED LINE RACEWAY - CADDO MILLS
SAN ANTONIO RACEWAY - SAN ANTONIO
TEMPLE ACADEMY DRAGWAY - TEMPLE
TEXAS MOTORPLEX - ENNIS
TEXAS RACEWAY - KENNEDALE
THUNDER ALLEY DRAGWAY - EL PASO
WEST TEXAS RACEWAY PARK - PENWELL
WICHITA RACEWAY PARK - WICHITA FALLS

Here is your list of tracks in Texas. Closest track central to Austin is Temple. Temple is nice (because of the recent repaving) but the management leaves something to be desired. Big tracks that would have plenty of space and good traction are limited to three or four. Tx. Motorplex in Ennis, HRP in Baytown, and River City in San Antonio. Rusk is a good option, but I doubt you get the Houston folks to make the drive. I think there trucks are tuned to stay south of College Station, or they don't run....:d

Good luck on the event. Really. Something like this is what several of us have pushed for before, but have ended up relying on ourselves and our own club to populate the event. If you have $3500, Ennis would open just for you, FYI....
:burnout: :tu:

Tex Arcana
03-24-2007, 04:54 PM

Well, he's not the only one in this club, some of us are pretty flexible. ;)

But, truth is, most car clubs (and truck clubs) have that attitude as a whole, which is sad because everyone in ALL clubs have the same thing in common: WE LOVE CARS.

I'm willing to be flexible, as much as possible without putting money on the line and losing it. But, of course, I can't speak for all here. I would suggest you post up on SVTPerformance as well, since they have a group of L owners that don't seem to show up on TALON, HALO, etc.

02TrueBlu
03-24-2007, 10:01 PM
It's obvious you're new here and the Lightning scene in Tx. We have had events for many years, several of which we try to do thigns that are accomodating for other clubs to have them out at our events. I think I've met a total of three or four other L owners from other clubs in Tx and I've had my truck/been a part of Talon for almost 5 years.

--wes

what makes you think im so "new" to the lightning scene? my lack of posts on talon? svtp? nloc? ive had this one a little over a year now and the one before that i had for right at 2 years. yea, ive done lightning fest and FFW. hell, i didnt even know what a forum was when i had my first one... i never knew what they was all about till i met a few guys at HRP that referred me to a local board. then i realized how much communication get tossed around on these boards. so far from new to the lightning scene, yes i am new to talon.

you do have a point on only meeting a few other ppl from other clubs... and this my friend is what we are trying to do. its going to happen, its just a matter of if you'd be willing to make the trip to attend it. from the sound of your attitude in prior posts it does not sound like it. and this could be the reason you've only met a few other ppl. alot of us have this attitude like stated above. im asking for people to be a little more open minded. im just looking to put together a GTG for Lightning owners. didnt mean to sound like a prick in my reply, it just seemed like you were totally against the idea and did not agree at all. looking forward to meeting you and each and every other member on here.

Kris

charlie
03-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome to TALON Kris.

You seem to be determined to put this thing together. Good luck with it. and if you could decide on where, when, and how much. I'll post up if I can make it or not. Even though I have yet to make it to any frellin event yet, because of one lame excuse or another. But one of these days,,,, one of these days. :nana2 I'll actually make it to one.

Charlie

02TrueBlu
03-24-2007, 10:34 PM
well hey man, there is a first time for everything... and this definatly is not one id want to miss

Welcome to TALON Kris.

You seem to be determined to put this thing together. Good luck with it. and if you could decide on where, when, and how much. I'll post up if I can make it or not. Even though I have yet to make it to any frellin event yet, because of one lame excuse or another. But one of these days,,,, one of these days. :nana2 I'll actually make it to one.

Charlie

wesman
03-25-2007, 03:12 AM
what makes you think im so "new" to the lightning scene? my lack of posts on talon? svtp? nloc? ive had this one a little over a year now and the one before that i had for right at 2 years. yea, ive done lightning fest and FFW. hell, i didnt even know what a forum was when i had my first one... i never knew what they was all about till i met a few guys at HRP that referred me to a local board. then i realized how much communication get tossed around on these boards. so far from new to the lightning scene, yes i am new to talon.

you do have a point on only meeting a few other ppl from other clubs... and this my friend is what we are trying to do. its going to happen, its just a matter of if you'd be willing to make the trip to attend it. from the sound of your attitude in prior posts it does not sound like it. and this could be the reason you've only met a few other ppl. alot of us have this attitude like stated above. im asking for people to be a little more open minded. im just looking to put together a GTG for Lightning owners. didnt mean to sound like a prick in my reply, it just seemed like you were totally against the idea and did not agree at all. looking forward to meeting you and each and every other member on here.

Kris

Let's do this then...how far have you vetured for a Lightning meet?

I'm not against meeting with any group of L owners, however I've been in the game long enough(5+ years) to know how it works. We've bent over backward to accomodate other clubs, even those that don't reside in Tx and we've gotten no real turnout from them. They talk big game, but when it's time to put up/show up they're nowhere to be found.

Good luck with what you're trying to do, but unless you come up with some real plans and some real #'s you're wasting eveyones time

--wes

wesman
03-25-2007, 03:17 AM
Well, he's not the only one in this club, some of us are pretty flexible.

Actually , I don't think we've ever met Tex......I'm beginning to believe you don't even exist.

Also when it comes to flexible, I'm as flexible as they come. I'm down for whatever...I've yet to see you at any gatherings :throw:

--wes

Tex Arcana
03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually , I don't think we've ever met Tex......I'm beginning to believe you don't even exist.

Also when it comes to flexible, I'm as flexible as they come. I'm down for whatever...I've yet to see you at any gatherings :throw:

--wes

That's because you don't come to them when I'm there. :tex :tongue: