PDA

View Full Version : Question about intercooler

RED1
12-03-2002, 08:43 PM
I was just wondering if any body has added anything to the intercooler fluid to help keep temps. down, or if anyone has completly changed the fluid to something else. If so then what?

L8 APEX
12-03-2002, 09:09 PM
For my serious racing customers I have diluted or dumped the stock fluid. Refilling it with distilled water and water wetter. This time of year you do need some degree of freeze protection. The factory fills both systems with enough anti freeze to go anywhere in the world after leaving the plant. Around here we only need protection to 0-10 degrees at most, stock mix is good to -40 in most trucks. If you blend it for high performance use beware when traveling north or in cold climates:tu:

Sixpipes
12-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
For my serious racing customers.......................
Most of us non-serious types leave the intercooler fluid alone. I have added some water wetter to my reservoir, but don't pay any attention to me, I don't have a clue. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shifty.gif

Silver_2000
12-03-2002, 11:48 PM
The secret to my 12.28 the other day was carefully checking to see if there was green stuff in the reservoir... One time after band camp there wasnt any...

Doug

Mark #2
12-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Changed mine to orange to match the plugs.

J.D. Blackwell
12-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
The secret to my 12.28 the other day was carefully checking to see if there was green stuff in the reservoir... One time after band camp there wasnt any...

Doug

No, I saw Doug the other day with his intercooler reservoir lid off and a medicine dropper in his hand. :d

L8 APEX
12-04-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by HIHOAG
Changed mine to orange to match the plugs.
Funny fact: I was reading my manuals one dayd anad it states use only green stuff in Lightnings. I don't know why but Ford throws a fit if you put what seems like a better coolant in this motor:confused: Yet in some Fords they use their Premium Gold coolant which is silicate and phosphate free. Ford...

98Cobra
12-04-2002, 12:26 PM
From what I heard, even when refilling the resevoir, like they did after my motor swap, they are told to use green on 2000 and earlier, and orange on '01 and above.

Lil Nicky88
12-04-2002, 02:38 PM
???mines green and it's a 2001. And they refilled it with green when they did my motor swap.