PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life on Fuel

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I had always believed fuel would last quite a long time(year or so) as long as it was stored in a sealed container. I just heard from a buddy that he was told his fuel being old may have caused his motor to detonate and lift a head. his fuel was 116 and about a year old. I suppose it won't last forever...but how long and what are the affects of age on it?

Anyone care to give some thoughts on this.

slick-svt
04-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I have heard that race will never go bad, but thats just what I heard:rolleyes:

Mark #2
04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
From Torco
-- If stored properly, sealed tight, off a concrete floor (on a pallet or piece of plywood) and sunlight can’t reach the fuel, it has a shelf life of 1-2 years.

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
From Torco
-- If stored properly, sealed tight, off a concrete floor (on a pallet or piece of plywood) and sunlight can’t reach the fuel, it has a shelf life of 1-2 years.

I wonder what sitting on the concrete does to it? I bet the fuel that's been sitting in the tank for the past year is crap at this point. I will probably pump it all out. I can just dump it in the storm drain:D ;) . I have some that is in five gallon plastic containers, but it has been sitting on the concrete floor. One to two years??? That is a large window.

L8 APEX
04-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Gas tanks are vented and plasitc jugs breathe. Sealed in the tin drum is the only way to store it.

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I have heard that race will never go bad, but thats just what I heard:rolleyes:

That was what I thought also. I have a friend up in New Hampshire who has found out it may not be true. His motor may have paid the price for this lesson. I sure don't want to screw up my motor. I am already on my third built motor.

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Gas tanks are vented and plasitc jugs breathe. Sealed in the tin drum is the only way to store it.

My heavy duty gas jugs breath???????? How the hell do they do that??? I keep the caps screwed on real tight.

L8 APEX
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
The plastic is porous enough the vapors leech out over time. Oxygen and other additives to the fuel evaportate and escape.

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
The plastic is porous enough the vapors leech out over time. Oxygen and other additives to the fuel evaportate and escape.

Tha's just great. Let's see....25 gallons of 116 race fuel x 8.00 per gallon = 200 bucks....down the crapper:rolleyes: .

WA 2 FST
04-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Yep. This is 100% truth. Anything stored in those 5 gal fuel containers is good for a couple of weeks... maybe a month max. I've had this type of discussion with a Phillips 66 race fuel distributor. Everything Terry is saying is verbatim of what this guy said.

It's no big deal for a lawnmower, but for a vehicle... use it pretty quick, or lose it. I always buy race fuel a week before using it.

03LightningRocks
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep. This is 100% truth. Anything stored in those 5 gal fuel containers is good for a couple of weeks... maybe a month max. I've had this type of discussion with a Phillips 66 race fuel distributor. Everything Terry is saying is verbatim of what this guy said.

It's no big deal for a lawnmower, but for a vehicle... use it pretty quick, or lose it. I always buy race fuel a week before using it.

I normally buy and keep it in the 50 gallon drums. Terry needed fuel, so I filled up a few jugs and sold the rest to Terry. :evil Hmmm....maybe Terry should absorb my loss ;) .

I never thought about those five gallon jugs being bad for storage. It makes sense. I guess I can use it in some of my service vehicles. Better than just loosing it all. I know I'm not brave...or rich...enough to risk my race motor to save a few bucks on fuel. Live and learn I suppose.