PDA

View Full Version : Its Alive!!!!!!!!

BC Lightning
04-14-2007, 10:40 PM
MY truck was started today with the 2.6 KB, took it awhile to stop being angry, but eventually got it to idle without having to use the throttle

I was an idiot and shipped the throttle body bracket with the Whipple I sold, so the throttle and cruise lines had no where to sit, or else we would have data logged today :hammer:

Dennis, like the new tires, those things are huge!!!!!!!

Good to meet you Blake, you'll love that new Whipple

John, Terry, Steve, and Steve-o thanks again for all yall's help, made to be a pretty fun day that went by pretty fast, especially when crack heads are trying to break into Terry's trailer :evil

The new bracket come in Tuesday, so we will be driving and data logging on tuesday

TXLIGHTNING
04-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Good to hear :tu:. Keep us updated :beer:.

BC Lightning
04-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Good to hear :tu:. Keep us updated :beer:.

I'll bring my camera and take pics and vids tuesday

L-Fever
04-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Frankenzilla sounded pretty mean! :tu:

L8 APEX
04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Be glad you didn't drive it home tonight. I heard two of the three Whipple trucks ate plugs on the way home. Which sucks... Mainly because I will be changing at least one of them:hammer:. Whipple wasn't on for 30 minutes, agh:tex. The funny thing is that these are two very different trucks, diff engine, diff tuners, diff heads, even diff plugs! Both have Whipples running 17-20lbs of boost, one running 14 deg timing on mixed fuels, one running 10 deg timing on pump gas. Both were doing 3rd gear pulls on the highway, both had a safe A/F. Agh, after all that has happened since 6:30am today I am ready for a shower and bed, no dinner for me tonight. More importantly no alcohol:stupidc .

02HemiWho?
04-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Ok no dinner is understandable, but goin without alcohol, thats just crazy talk terry... :nono: lol

Ohmsby
04-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I had plugs for dinner, guess I know what I am doing tomorrow..... changing plugs. Everything else looks good on the truck.

I went in from a 60-70 punch pulled hard then she sat down.

Odd thing is we ran in the same air temps last week at the track and no issues. I guess from a dig she is good and the highway punches will have to be with warmer weather.

I am running 14* with probably a 50/50 mix race gas pump gas

all guages were good ,fluids in the motor are good has to be a plug or two:hammer:

slick-svt
04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Be glad you didn't drive it home tonight. I heard two of the three Whipple trucks ate plugs on the way home. Which sucks... Mainly because I will be changing at least one of them:hammer:. Whipple wasn't on for 30 minutes, agh:tex. The funny thing is that these are two very different trucks, diff engine, diff tuners, diff heads, even diff plugs! Both have Whipples running 17-20lbs of boost, one running 14 deg timing on mixed fuels, one running 10 deg timing on pump gas. Both were doing 3rd gear pulls on the highway, both had a safe A/F. Agh, after all that has happened since 6:30am today I am ready for a shower and bed, no dinner for me tonight. More importantly no alcohol:stupidc .
What would cause them to eat up plugs like that?

L8 APEX
04-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Any engine builder would blame it on detonation/too lean every time. Because in theory those are the only two things that raise combustion temps high enough to melt steel. I think it is a combination of poor head design and head soak and maybe some of that spooky "silent" detonation. But hey I just thought of something....

...Both of these trucks have the same "HOT" ignition coils on them... Oh dear back to the helmet:tex..

L8 APEX
04-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Remember those solid conductors Johnny boy. It may take the feel of a seasoned grease monkey to R&R them without having to do it twice;). Maybe we could do a later breakfast at a WH up there or something:D. Ya'll got any waffle houses?

Ohmsby
04-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Remember those solid conductors Johnny boy. It may take the feel of a seasoned grease monkey to R&R them without having to do it twice;). Maybe we could do a later breakfast at a WH up there or something:D. Ya'll got any waffle houses?

Late breakfast sounds good I have a set of plugs in the shop and I am sure we have a waffle house or IHOP or something

I was just thinking about those damn solid connectors and you probably should be the monkey

let me know

Ohmsby
04-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey Tiff don't you date a girl who works at a Waffle House?:throw:

PS any time I can flame Tiff is a good time

L-Fever
04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Could be the new yellow COPS!

02HemiWho?
04-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Ouch, lol... poor poor Tiff, lol...

slick-svt
04-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Any engine builder would blame it on detonation/too lean every time. Because in theory those are the only two things that raise combustion temps high enough to melt steel. I think it is a combination of poor head design and head soak and maybe some of that spooky "silent" detonation. But hey I just thought of something....

...Both of these trucks have the same "HOT" ignition coils on them... Oh dear back to the helmet:tex..
Do yall run pyrometers on these?

tiffo60
04-15-2007, 01:01 AM

:throw: :throw:

i doubt i could get my girl to even entertain the idea of eating at a waffle house:rll: :rll:

Fuzion
04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Good to meet you Blake, you'll love that new Whipple

Same goes for you. I like the truck!

Maybe we could do a later breakfast at a WH up there or something:D. Ya'll got any waffle houses?

Can we come for breakfast?

I'm thinking that too....

Do yall run pyrometers on these?

I know i dont have one.

L8 APEX
04-15-2007, 01:20 AM

Tifton better be leaving my hoes alone! That is the white hoes for racial clarification;). I luv me some WH hoes:bows.

wesman
04-15-2007, 01:27 AM

I still call BS on the way these engine builders pass the buck......there are things TBD.....but a damn built V8 should be able to hold 16-18psi and 12* timing no matter what I do to it in a 1/4 mile or in daily driving save a 150+ mph run.

--wes

tiffo60
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM

ive been doubting these new cops since the get go, and know you have back to back comparisons of what there good for:throw:

FRDRCING
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Thats some good news Mike.

Lyfisin
04-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Very cool! Grats on getting it in. :beer:

L8 APEX
04-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I still call BS on the way these engine builders pass the buck......there are things TBD.....but a damn built V8 should be able to hold 16-18psi and 12* timing no matter what I do to it in a 1/4 mile or in daily driving save a 150+ mph run.

--wes
It is facts and science, not excuses as to why the plugs melt. There obviously has to bee enough heat in the chamber to melt the plugs down. The cause of that heat is the mystery. Both trucks have full time fresh wideband 02 gauges. Both have been data logged and check for load and spark. Both were rich in the 11's and running their respective 10 and 14 degrees timing at WOT. There is a pattern of the rear drivers cylinders going first or worst. Maybe that coolant bypass mod would help this issue. Fact is these motors are built well and tuned well. I think a lot of it is the weight. Nobody is doing this with a V8 in a truck platform like we are. I think the combination of weight AND aerodynamic drag at highway speeds. Is creating more heat than the coolant flow through the block can dissapate. It looks like the coolant flow through the block and heads could be improved. It is obvious the chambers are taking time to heat soak before causing detonation or plug failure. I know with the large radiators and cool temps the thermostats stay shut most of the time. Maybe when they are shut the water flows through the block less efficiently?
If you notice nobody in the business is supercharging an American V8 over 6-8 psi on street apps, nobody not Saleen, Roush, Lingenfelter and they all play with 3K lb cars. Those folks have a lot of R&D dollars invested and well educated engineers in house. I think we are burning the candle at both ends with a 5K lb truck and double/triple safe boost levels. Somebody needs to build a turbo around here and see if it lasts any longer..

TXLIGHTNING
04-15-2007, 12:22 PM
It is facts and science, not excuses as to why the plugs melt. There obviously has to bee enough heat in the chamber to melt the plugs down. The cause of that heat is the mystery. Both trucks have full time fresh wideband 02 gauges. Both have been data logged and check for load and spark. Both were rich in the 11's and running their respective 10 and 14 degrees timing at WOT. There is a pattern of the rear drivers cylinders going first or worst. Maybe that coolant bypass mod would help this issue. Fact is these motors are built well and tuned well. I think a lot of it is the weight. Nobody is doing this with a V8 in a truck platform like we are. I think the combination of weight AND aerodynamic drag at highway speeds. Is creating more heat than the coolant flow through the block can dissapate. It looks like the coolant flow through the block and heads could be improved. It is obvious the chambers are taking time to heat soak before causing detonation or plug failure. I know with the large radiators and cool temps the thermostats stay shut most of the time. Maybe when they are shut the water flows through the block less efficiently?
If you notice nobody in the business is supercharging an American V8 over 6-8 psi on street apps, nobody not Saleen, Roush, Lingenfelter and they all play with 3K lb cars. Those folks have a lot of R&D dollars invested and well educated engineers in house. I think we are burning the candle at both ends with a 5K lb truck and double/triple safe boost levels. Somebody needs to build a turbo around here and see if it lasts any longer.. Has anyone done the coolant bypass mod? I remember reading a few threads on that, and it seems to make sense. Its something I may want to do when I turn up the boost on my KB :tu:.

L8 APEX
04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
We are still developing this theory. So far the plugs in John's truck are fine which leans towards the coil packs having issue..

BC Lightning
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Has anyone done the coolant bypass mod? I remember reading a few threads on that, and it seems to make sense. Its something I may want to do when I turn up the boost on my KB :tu:.

There are plenty of people that have done this mod, but they used smaller NPT fittings

I tried to use a 3/4" thread to thread NPT fitting (actual size is 5/8ths and uses 5/8ths hose which is what the stock hose is) but didn't have a good sturdy work space so my threads went in crooked and ended up cracking the lower intake and having to replace the entire intake.

it really is an easy mod once the j/b weld (or other substance you use sets) but make sure you drill in the right spot and have the intake to where it wont move and can drill and tap straight

in a month or so when we install the new fuel system, fuel rails, regulator, etc parts I'm going to pull the lower intake off and take it to wells racing to have them port it, as well as drill and tap for the coolant crossover mod

alot of guys have had success doing this mod, but used a smaller fitting to take the risk out of cracking the intake, mine would have worked if I had drilled and tapped straight, lesson learned :rolleyes:

here is a pic of what the mod looks like:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/coolantmod001fv1.jpg

and parts needed:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_02191.JPG

BC Lightning
04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Has anyone done the coolant bypass mod? I remember reading a few threads on that, and it seems to make sense. Its something I may want to do when I turn up the boost on my KB :tu:.

looking at the pic I posted I think next go around I'm going to use a 5/8th Y and run only one new line from the driver side (7/8 cylinders) and tie into the stock lines and not mess with pulling the passenger side pipe out