PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Points

Lyfisin
04-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Looking for opinions on credit card points.

Use a debit card or use a credit card and pay it off every month and get the advantages of points/mileage bonus or whatever?

I have been using a debit card, but a friend of mine commented the other day, he pays everything with a credit card. That way he's not giving anyone the card that is tied to his money. It's tied to Visa's (or whatever) money. He pays off everything with it. Even his mortgage.

Assuming you had no interest when paid off every month, wouldn't this be better? One potential bad side is, of course, if you were late and had to pay interest, the gains could easily get wiped out. Still at least you wouldn't be using the card tied to your bank.

What say you?

Brook

BC Lightning
04-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Looking for opinions on credit card points.

Use a debit card or use a credit card and pay it off every month and get the advantages of points/mileage bonus or whatever?

I have been using a debit card, but a friend of mine commented the other day, he pays everything with a credit card. That way he's not giving anyone the card that is tied to his money. It's tied to Visa's (or whatever) money. He pays off everything with it. Even his mortgage.

Assuming you had no interest when paid off every month, wouldn't this be better? One potential bad side is, of course, if you were late and had to pay interest, the gains could easily get wiped out. Still at least you wouldn't be using the card tied to your bank.

What say you?

Brook

I usually never use my debit card, about 95% of the time I use my A'Advantage Mastercard to get air miles, or my Marriott Rewards American Express, I do pay them off in full at the end of the month so no to be hit with big finance charges

Ohmsby
04-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I do the same and my last points cash in netted me $2000.00 worth of sears gift certs.

I spent it all in the tool aisle:D Three carts full and two aluminum 3 ton jacks

I would suggest this method to anyone who has the discipline to pay off the debt monthly

dboat
04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I do the same.. most everything is paid via credit card and paid off monthly. I do have some bills that I pay directly and dont put on the card.. even if you have a bad month it doesnt entirely screw up the system. I use the AAdvantage Card as well for those Am Airline miles.. I tried the Discover card route for a year and didnt get enough back in cash to warrant staying on it. I moved from Am Exp to the current card because trying to move AE points to use on AA was a pain and I lost too much in the conversion process (AE and AA are not partners).

I dont see how the debit card helps anyone except those that are worried about the one month lag in bills coming and paying them.. vs real time.

Dana

wesman
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I use my AA card for almost everything....only time I use debit card is if it's at a place that doesn't accept CC's like Costco.

I can gain the interest in my MM account and then pay off the CC before the interest accrues and get all the points/bonuses to boot.

--wes

Tex Arcana
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
We do the same, pay off the cards on a monthly basis. And even tho right now we're using direct pay thru Wells Fargo to pay bills now, we're gonna swap and get a card with air miles/rewards, and use that to pay bills as well. Not only does it separate a potential number theft from your main account, it also protects you better in case it happens, because your liability is limited to $50, and making the change is relatively easy now.

I say, "do it". :)

BC Lightning
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I use my AA card for almost everything....only time I use debit card is if it's at a place that doesn't accept CC's like Costco.

I can gain the interest in my MM account and then pay off the CC before the interest accrues and get all the points/bonuses to boot.

--wes

Yeah I do the same with my AA Mastercard, but I decided to get the Marriott American Express because I racked up all these AA miles and needed a place to stay, So i go one month with MC, next with AMEX

wesman
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah I do the same with my AA Mastercard, but I decided to get the Marriott American Express because I racked up all these AA miles and needed a place to stay, So i go one month with MC, next with AMEX

Yeah, that's a good plan. I also use a Carnival Club card I have that gets Sea Miles good toward cruises......been using that one a lot lately. I have to say that points add up quick.....especially when buying mods :tex

--wes

BC Lightning
04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, that's a good plan. I also use a Carnival Club card I have that gets Sea Miles good toward cruises......been using that one a lot lately. I have to say that points add up quick.....especially when buying mods :tex

--wes

what credit cards offer the Carnival rewards?? I'm planning a couple cruises and would rather use reward points..........While flying on American and staying in a Marriott before and after the cruise :D

yeah I have a ton of points this month

wesman
04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
what credit cards offer the Carnival rewards?? I'm planning a couple cruises and would rather use reward points..........While flying on American and staying in a Marriott before and after the cruise :D

yeah I have a ton of points this month

It's a Carnival Sea miles card, offered by Juniper Bank/Barclays......low interest rate and 0% balance transfers for first 12 months :)

I've got about 6000 sea miles since I got it a few months ago....no balance, free points toward cruises. What's cool is they price the cruise you want, use what poitns you have and then you can pay cash/CC for the remainder. If you use your card to buy cruises it's double points and some other goodies.

--wes

BC Lightning
04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
It's a Carnival Sea miles card, offered by Juniper Bank/Barclays......low interest rate and 0% balance transfers for first 12 months :)

I've got about 6000 sea miles since I got it a few months ago....no balance, free points toward cruises. What's cool is they price the cruise you want, use what poitns you have and then you can pay cash/CC for the remainder. If you use your card to buy cruises it's double points and some other goodies.

--wes

Well I just applied and was approved, so start planning a cruise Wes :tu:

wesman
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Well I just applied and was approved, so start planning a cruise Wes :tu:

lol...cool

Cruises are probably my favorite vacations....probably hit one before the year is out.

--wes

BC Lightning
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
lol...cool

Cruises are probably my favorite vacations....probably hit one before the year is out.

--wes

+1 for the parents Anniv. the entire family, Aunts Uncles, grand parents, cousins, the whole fam damnily is taking a cruise to Greece, I've always wanted to go to Venice, we have to take a car because I don't think the cruise ship will fit :D

L8 APEX
04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Get one for whatever you'd like it to go towards. I get Home Depot gift cards with mine. A lot of folks do airline miles.

Silver_2000
04-16-2007, 06:59 PM
dont forget that most zero interest transfers dont tell you about the 3%-6% transfer fee ...

So to transfer $5000 will cost you ~$300 off the top

Lyfisin
04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies all. Looks like there's more to be gained than lost.

Costco takes debit cards, but not credit? /boggle

Not looking to transfer anything Doug, but thanks for the heads up. :tu:

Brook

wesman
04-16-2007, 10:01 PM
dont forget that most zero interest transfers dont tell you about the 3%-6% transfer fee ...

So to transfer $5000 will cost you ~$300 off the top

Yep...reading is key. The large print giveth, the small print taketh away:throw:

I learned that lesson long ago when I first got out of the military.

--wes

wesman
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies all. Looks like there's more to be gained than lost.

Costco takes debit cards, but not credit? /boggle

Brook

Yeah, weird huh. THey used to not even take debit cards, it was Amex, cash or check (Does anyone use checks anymore? ). They do accept AmEx as well, they seem to have a relationship with them as they offer a Costco Amex card. I've already got a Delta Skymiles card tho so no need for that.

--wes