PDA

View Full Version : Okay so traveling sucks but

Mark #2
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
2 to 3 hours on conference calls every night is starting to suck worse, just hung up on this call.

If you are traveling at least you have some down time.

I get to run another 7AM conf call tomorrow.:D

US manufacturing is done...

I'm thinking of becoming a mechanic or a nurse and just take care of stuff instead of making stuff?

True Blue Aggie
04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
It would go a hell of a lot faster if you would just learn Chinese...;)

Mark #2
04-25-2007, 09:36 PM
It would go a hell of a lot faster if you would just learn Chinese...;)

Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Philippine, and Spanish.

Learned French for the previous job so Spanish is not a stretch... the others are languages/personnel I have hired.

A different world than when I was working on DARPA contracts.

my2002lightning
04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes, traveling in this level of 24x7 off-shore work DOES suck! The last full-time job I had, I was in ATL and my former mgr. told me on a Thu. at ~20:00 that I had to be in MIA on Mon. at 08:00. Thought to myself, all my gear is back in DFW. http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/willy.gifThis is with me working 40+, travel arrangements made myself, etc. etc. on my own time.

Nightly status and weekly mtg. calls are always "fun" given the language and tech-gap with the off-shore bunch. :cool:

dboat
04-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Mark, I used to travel Mon-Fri on a reg basis a few years ago.. and doing the conf calls is better because at least you get to sleep in your own bed with the SO when it gets done. Then you can drive the L the next day.

Ronald, dont take it the wrong way but being told at 8p on a Thurs that you have to be somewhere next Mon at 8a and make your own arrangements, just doesnt seem that bad to me.. IIRC you were getting decent money to do it.

For me its always been a personal review as to how much I was getting paid vs how much could I get somewhere else for a different job that doesnt make me do this... kind of balance.

Frankly, I liked the frequent flyer miles for my holidays, but the weekly out of town traveling wore on me after a few years. The younger you are the less it bothers you, but I was mid 40's and not the road warrior I could have been in my 30's. Nowadays, the few trips I make each year are just fine for me.

Dana

Silver_2000
04-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Ronald, don't take it the wrong way but being told at 8p on a Thurs that you have to be somewhere next Mon at 8a and make your own arrangements, just doesnt seem that bad to me.. IIRC you were getting decent money to do it.

I was on Brussels working and got a call from the guy who I was filling in for. I had an hour to figure out what a bullet train was and where it was and get on it, they had already booked my ticket to Paris to fix a downed server.
I had a little less than 48 hours in Paris and had to go back to Brussels

I would have liked to have stayed in Paris for another day or 2 - the people suck but there is lots of history to see

dboat
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I was on Brussels working and got a call from the guy who I was filling in for. I had an hour to figure out what a bullet train was and where it was and get on it, they had already booked my ticket to Paris to fix a downed server.
I had a little less than 48 hours in Paris and had to go back to Brussels

I would have liked to have stayed in Paris for another day or 2 - the people suck but there is lots of history to see

womens hairy pits:vomit: but some decent food and wine...

Dana

Mark #2
04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
womens hairy pits:vomit: but some decent food and wine...

Dana
The women are very fine just like the wine.
The shaving thing is isolated just like women in Northern CA and CO.

Southern France is paradise, only got to spend a few weeks there, not to mention the overall subservient society.:tex

dboat
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
The women are very fine just like the wine.
The shaving thing is isolated just like women in Northern CA and CO.

Southern France is paradise, only got to spend a few weeks there, not to mention the overall subservient society.:tex

ok, I stand corrected... thanks

Moonshine
04-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Sounds like several of us are dissatisfied with our jobs these days. I'm considering a job and/or career change myself. Counting down the days until I'm eligible to retire (3 weeks, 1 day left), but 20 and out doesn't pay like I want it to, so I either need to fund a secondary retirement in the next decade, or find another employer in the same retirement system and do another 7-8 years. Found an interesting contract job in Iraq that pays pretty well, but it lacks indirect fire support, close air support, and the might of the US military. Something about good prospects of getting my head sawed off on video is a tad unappealing. I'm willing to consider other opportunities if anyone hears of anything promising.

jeff56
04-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds like several of us are dissatisfied with our jobs these days. I'm considering a job and/or career change myself. Counting down the days until I'm eligible to retire (3 weeks, 1 day left), but 20 and out doesn't pay like I want it to, so I either need to fund a secondary retirement in the next decade, or find another employer in the same retirement system and do another 7-8 years. Found an interesting contract job in Iraq that pays pretty well, but it lacks indirect fire support, close air support, and the might of the US military. Something about good prospects of getting my head sawed off on video is a tad unappealing. I'm willing to consider other opportunities if anyone hears of anything promising.

Lottery? I'm inside these days too, and its a little too much like work anymore. :stupidc

slick-svt
04-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Open your own gun shop??

L8 APEX
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
When you travel the emails and voice mails just pile on you. When I logged in last night I had 58 emails and 3 voice mails I missed, I was all pissed again and couldn't sleep. When I took my Colorado vacation last year as soon as I came back in to cell coverage I was handling issues. It ruined the whole 12 hour ride home. Then at home I had to sift through 300+ emails.
You might as well ride it out B, the golden handcuffs are on pretty tight:tex. pay, benefits, and seniority could not be matched in a move IMO.. You're too old for that field work anyway:D.

Silver_2000
04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
When you travel the emails and voice mails just pile on you. When I logged in last night I had 58 emails and 3 voice mails I missed,

I end up with that if I go to a 2 hour - phones off - meeting.. Actually more like 45 emails and 8 vm

Sixpipes
04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Ahhhh...the French. We rescued them from two world wars and they still have not forgiven us. :tex

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/J/U/french_knife2.jpg

TXLIGHTNING
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Ahhhh...the French. We rescued them from two world wars and they still have not forgiven us. :tex

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/J/U/french_knife2.jpgGood one :rll:. I have been to Paris twice. Love the city but could do without the people :rolleyes:. Both times we stayed in Paris three days and took the train to Amsterdam Holland, now that's a party town knana. The people in Holland are pretty cool. Just about everyone we met wanted to party with us. And you got to love the many bars, clubs and coffee shops :evil. I plan to make a trip back there in May or June :d. Only thing that's is holding me back is the currency exchange rate. Our dollar has gone down big time since my last visit.