PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem.. Poss MLPS?

mustgofaster
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
OK, I went downtown, pulled into a parking spot & I could not get the truck in Park... couldn't even get it into Neutral or Reverse. Finally after fighting with it for a while, I managed to hit N, so I parked it & did my business. Came back & the same thing. I managed to push it out of the parking spot & got it back into Drive, but obviously I need to fix this fast. When moving the gearshift down, it will change, but it feels, "mushy". When I move the gearshift up, it just moves freely, occasionally grabbing the next position, but no solid click into place & I'm lucky to get it to grab enough to make it into Neutral.
This is a GEN1. I'm thinking MLPS & hoping that it doesn't have anything to do with the linkage in the steering column. (With a new baby, I don't have time to tear into the dash.) Any ideas? Input? previous similar experiences?
Thanks!
Steve

L8 APEX
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Look at the linkage under the truck while someone moves it. I bet the cable is damaged top or bottom.

projlightning
05-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Steve, how'd that cable work out for you?

mustgofaster
05-20-2007, 12:40 PM
It worked great. I think that the old cable must have been going for a while... My shifter feels much crisper engaging the gears than it has in a loooong time. Thanks again for the cable... I owe you one!!

Steve

jpfeffer05
03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I figured someone here would know the answer to this. I test drove a lightning the other day and noticed a few things about the performance.

1) At 70 mph, should the RPMs be around 2.2? My regular F-150 supercrew is around 1.7 when I am driving 70 mph...is this a problem with the lightnings transmission? Both trucks are 2001.

2) When shifting into reverse in the lightning, there is about a 2 second pause before it engages. Is this common for lightnings or is this a problem with the tranny yet again? This doesn't happen with my F-150..

Please let me know asap so I can make a decision to purchase this lightning or not. Thanks so much!

mustgofaster
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
the RPM difference is most likely just a difference in the rear gear ratio.

Is the shift into each gear firm? Any known mods to the truck? Tune?

dboat
03-24-2011, 05:25 AM
I figured someone here would know the answer to this. I test drove a lightning the other day and noticed a few things about the performance.

1) At 70 mph, should the RPMs be around 2.2? My regular F-150 supercrew is around 1.7 when I am driving 70 mph...is this a problem with the lightnings transmission? Both trucks are 2001.

2) When shifting into reverse in the lightning, there is about a 2 second pause before it engages. Is this common for lightnings or is this a problem with the tranny yet again? This doesn't happen with my F-150..

Please let me know asap so I can make a decision to purchase this lightning or not. Thanks so much!

Jason, the rpms sound about right.. my 2002 turns 2500 at 80 mph.. in regard to the hesitation on reverse, well my L doesnt do that.. but I dont know enough about transmissions to fill a thimble.

Dana