PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers

Sixpipes
05-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Just noticed that as of this morning, the Rangers have the worst record in Major League Baseball... Salute! :beer: So much for the manager change that would put them over the top this year. :rolleyes:

Shiner1
05-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Ha, Ha...Not suprised. Another year of no pitching. People are suprised that a new manager didn't make the pitchers get better over-night.

99WhiteBeast
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I made over 50+ games in each season 95/96 but has been declining every year two fold. Made 4 games last year and zero to date this year. I will not give my money to support a consistently bad team especially when they continue to raise prices. :mad:

L8 APEX
05-29-2007, 02:17 PM
They are a disgrace the state and fancy new stadium. The Mavericks need to start off their 08 season back in Reunion as well!

WA 2 FST
05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh, don't get me started on the Strangers. They weren't that far away from the playoffs with the talent they had just a few seasons ago...and with the up-and-coming pitchers. Then they hired John Daniels who, to this point, has been worse than John Hart.

And Ron Washington is going to last one season at this rate.

StormShadow
05-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Hmm how is that Chris Young trade working out? Pfft. The Rangers just suck and it all starts at the top yet they always want to blame it on the heat and the ballpark. I love it when I hear Tom Hicks say that he will spend more money on the team when the fans buy more tickets.

L8 APEX
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Maybe Mark Cuban should buy the Strangers if he likes a challenge.

WA 2 FST
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Hmm how is that Chris Young trade working out? Pfft. The Rangers just suck and it all starts at the top yet they always want to blame it on the heat and the ballpark. I love it when I hear Tom Hicks say that he will spend more money on the team when the fans buy more tickets.

Chris Young... yeah, bad trade.

Brad Wilkerson for Alfonso Soriano? Uh.. hello?

Brandon McCarthy for John Danks? It's a little early, but it looks bad so far.

There are plenty of others. I could write a book.

The problem is that they will _never_ have a top-rung pitching staff. The reason is simple... they play in a "hitters ballpark" and it is typically 95-100^F for 8-10 weeks. I have heard a number of really good pitchers (retired and present) speak about this very issue. Hicks has tried hard to get Randy Johnson, Clemens, Mussina, etc. He's offered competitive $$, especially given there is no state income tax in TX, among other things. The Colorado Rockies have the same issues with getting top-notch pitching (albeit for different reasons).

What they need are 5 average starters with ERA's ~4.75-5.00 and spend the $$ on a solid bullpen and everyday players. Instead, they've overpaid for Millwood and Padilla. You need good defensive players, especially if the pitching is mediocre, but they also need to be able to swing the bat. This year's team is very poor offensively, and the defense is 2nd to last in the AL. The pitching is still horrendous, but that's always the case. Get over it, and bring back the heavy hitters. With this philosophy, all you really need is a stellar bullpen and you'll win 90+ games. This is how the team won 3 division titles in the late '90s. If it wasn't for a really, really good Yankees team that beat them in the playoffs, the Rangers would have had a legitimate shot. But there will always be teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. You can't worry about them until the playoffs, so don't try to reinvent the wheel ... utilize your strengths (which at one point was hitting and at least decent defense) and hope for the best when the playoffs roll around.

StormShadow
05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
They knew how hot it was here when they built the "hitters park" thats what pisses me off everytime I hear them blame the heat and the ballpark.

WA 2 FST
05-29-2007, 05:08 PM
They knew how hot it was here when they built the "hitters park" thats what pisses me off everytime I hear them blame the heat and the ballpark.

That's a very good point, and possibly the biggest mistake of all was that they didn't build a retractable roof/dome. It would make a big (good) difference in the really hot months of late-July thru early-Sept and it would get rid of the "jet stream" that creates a lot of fly balls carrying over the fence.

Sixpipes
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
What ever happened to the ole Don Nelson theory. Just outscore your opponent. The Rangers will have to produce runs to win games. That is what the Rangers did best when they were in contention and they had average pitching at best. But alas, professional baseball, in general, bores me. Just hard to believe that a professional sports team from the Dallas area is the worst in their profession. :(

BC Lightning
05-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I absolutely can't stand the Rangers and refuse to go to any except the 3 games against the Chicago Cubs (and they are free tickets), other than that I haven't watched one full game on TV or been to any games.

kirkmears
05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Tom Hicks say that he will spend more money on the team when the fans buy more tickets.
:texmakes since right?:tex

i bought some tickets on ebay cause i got such a good deal on them last month. its nice to take some friends or family out to the ballpark since people are practically givin tickets away...just don't expect them to win. we were fortunate that day:nana2 i just like to go eat hot dogs, drink some beer, & check out the scenery ;)