PDA

View Full Version : Bow Fishing anyone?

tiffo60
06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
This was emailed to me and I had to share, this is awsome!!!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.fullscreen&videoid=1125465453

TXLIGHTNING
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Thats a first for me, looks like fun.

bluesvt
06-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Saw that on the outdoor channel. I doubt my bow skills are good enough to hit a flying fish.

my2002lightning
06-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like a blast! knanaThat takes a hulluva' lot of skill to fling an arrow at such targets darting all over the place.

http://www.brackettoutdoors.com/cbfishstory.htm

The silver and bighead carp are alien invaders that are cousins, but only one of these Asian carp jump. The silver carp are the airborne missiles of the Illinois River and are originally from Asia. They were brought over here with the thought of controlling the pollution and debris that are in the farm ponds that raise catfish. They are used as filter feeders. They use their gill rakers to filter food from the water which moves through there gills and catch plankton and not other fish. Mother Nature decided to change the location of these fish and freed them from there ponds in Arkansas using the flood of 93. The Mississippi River overflowed her banks and released the couple hundred fish that now some 14 years later grew in the 100 millions. Now the reason Asian Silver Carp jump isn’t so complicated. Two years ago in the summer of 05 on the Illinois River, Chris Brackett was doing some Bowfishing for some big heads by the dam above Pekin IL. Brackett drove around looking for some bigheads to shoot and these little silver fish kept jumping behind the boat and the simple reason that they are scared of the boat and motor. Chris loving to shoot anything that moves had told all the guys there that he would shoot one out of the air. The boat erupted with laughter, 12 shots later history was made and a new sport was created. EXTREME AERIAL BOWFISHING!

Since that day, Extreme Aerial Bowfishing has spread like wildfire across the country. A DVD was created, shows were filmed, and the fish are getting bigger and meaner! The silver carp are prolific breeder in that they spawn twice a year and have millions of eggs per spawn. Silver carp eat 80% of there body weight a day and are the fast growing fish in North America. Since the first fish was shot by Chris that hot summer day in June, it has become the most exciting sport the outdoor industry has seen in the last 20 years.Vibration and water turbulence is what drives the silver carp crazy. Crazy enough that they shoot out of the water at an alarming rate and soar to heights of over 10 ft. Chris has mastered the phenomenon of getting the fish to jump and Brackett is better known to some people as “The Flying Fish Guy”. If you hear Chris yell “get ready” you better duck or draw your bow because he sees something the average person doesn’t. Whether it’s a swirl or a wake made by the fish and almost on command the hundreds of fish erupt from the water. Chris’s dad, Charlie says, “Their like popcorn popping up, pop, pop, pop....and they just keep coming.” Then as fast as it started, it ceases. By Chris putting the boat into neutral and letting everyone in the boat gain there composer and throw out the dozen or so fish that voluntarily jumped in the boat.

tiffo60
06-13-2007, 02:07 PM
i wonder if going at them with a 12gauge would be considered un-sportsman like:tex

bluesvt
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
i wonder if going at them with a 12gauge would be considered un-sportsman like:tex

Nah, no different than shooting a bird.

tiffo60
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Nah, no different than shooting a bird.

thats what I was thinking, and since theres 100's of millions of them and they reproduce like the flu, it wouldnt be all that bad, make for nice food for all the other fish:D

slick-svt
06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
On the outdoor channel I believe it called gettin close with Lee and Tiffany the were doing the same thing. looks cool but I like the shotgun theory better

Beaudee
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
That was awsome,an:D AK or 12 Ga. would have been more fun.

dboat
06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
On the outdoor channel I believe it called gettin close with Lee and Tiffany the were doing the same thing. looks cool but I like the shotgun theory better

yep, saw that episode. she's hot

slick-svt
06-14-2007, 06:40 AM
yep, saw that episode. she's hot
VERY!!!

bluesvt
06-14-2007, 07:38 PM
VERY!!!

:eek2:

bluesvt
06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I aslo agree :eek2: