PDA

View Full Version : Parade Fatalities in Tennessee

Sixpipes
06-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Sounds like someone got stupid...:mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070617/ap_on_re_us/car_show_deaths

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070617/capt.4fe85b6a39da49938897fbda4a03d66c.car_show_dea ths_tnsel106.jpg?x=380&y=252&sig=SNz.uiJaZh1wUpELTNd41Q--

dboat
06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Sounds like someone got stupid...:mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070617/ap_on_re_us/car_show_deaths

just saw this and am hoping that getting stupid wasnt the case.. sad day.

Dana

L8 APEX
06-16-2007, 10:29 PM
This is the third car in a crowd accident thing in as many weeks it seems...

wesman
06-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Just read that a few minutes ago....looks like the race team was out of Wylie

RIP to the victims and condolences to their friends/families :icon_cry:

--wes

WA 2 FST
06-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Stupid is how I would describe it. :(

L8 APEX
06-17-2007, 06:35 PM
As much fun as driving a race car on a public road would be... Doing a John Force burnout down a crowded road full of pedestrians is a little over the edge.

Beaudee
06-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Stupid is how I would describe it. :(

Yup on everyones part!!

my2002lightning
06-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Terrible news. Yes, sad day, indeed.:icon_sad:

projlightning
06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't understand why such car would be on the street anyways...

L8 APEX
06-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Read the article, it is a cars for kids charity and they have been doing this for 18yrs without incident. They parade the race cars for the charity and they all do a little burnout at the end...

WA 2 FST
06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
The issue is that it wasn't a "little burnout". That was probably 300-400'... tires overheat, he lets off the gas, it goes sideways... uh-oh!

This is akin to someone doing this down a wide, residential street with people on the sidewalk. The article mentions lack of guardrails...which honestly wouldn't have done much at all, IMHO. Just looking at the video, I would place the blame solely on the driver; not for losing control, but for not using better judgment when he extended the burnout to the point where he built up some significant speed and most likely overheated the tires.

skidmarkracing
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Several things went wrong. First and foremost, Troy pushed it to far. Second, he was not prepared for the sloped road. He did not go sideways after he let off. He went sideways, then let off.

Several people can be blamed, but Troy is first on the list. He knows it, personally I do not think he will recover from this tragedy. He is going to be haunted by it for quite some time

WA 2 FST
06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Several people can be blamed, but Troy is first on the list. He knows it, personally I do not think he will recover from this tragedy. He is going to be haunted by it for quite some time

I'm sure he will, and I wasn't intending to be mean-spirited or "piling on". Frankly, there's nothing that any of us could say on this board that will make the situation better or worse than it already is. It's horrible.

I do know that I would never be standing 4' off a road where 1500+hp cars are doing burnouts. Anyone ever see a blower belt fly off? This is not uncommon, especially on rapid decel of the motor (e.g.: letting off abruptly after doing a burnout). A shredded piece of a blower belt hitting me in the head would do some serious damage too.

skidmarkracing
06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
His site is back up with a statement to the public

http://www.troycritchley.com/

99WhiteBeast
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Tragic and sad:(

skidmarkracing
06-20-2007, 08:18 AM
can you believe the F-ING press. Troy was hit with a DUI 7 years ago, paid his dues, now they are bringing it back up like it has a d@mn thing to do with this. :flaming:

03LightningRocks
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
can you believe the F-ING press. Troy was hit with a DUI 7 years ago, paid his dues, now they are bringing it back up like it has a d@mn thing to do with this. :flaming:

That's the press I have come to hate. Typical for them. Did they present the DUI as having nothing to do with this incident, or did they act as if the DUI somehow means he should never drive again? Focking vultures.

My best wishes go out to Troy and his team. This is one of those things that could happen to any of us. Organized burnout contests go on all over the place. Parking lots are the usual location. There are always people standing around that could be hurt if any of the many things that can go wrong do. I, for one, sincerely hope that your friend doesn't punish himself for to long over this.

What happened is tragic but nobody can change it. I am becoming disgusted with the way our society is constantly trying to attach some kind of blame on every mishap. It's as if we are all embarking on some kind of day care center finger pointing. Straight up....."SH!T HAPPENS"....applies here. It's not like somebody intentionally killed those kids.

Rocks...............

Ohmsby
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
This is just sad for all involved and I agree with Rocks sometimes chit just goes tragically wrong.

Hopefully the media will quit spinning this thing to make this guy out to be a monster

skidmarkracing
06-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I do not know if he will recover or not. I was in Dessert Storm and killed people and still am haunted by it. His was totally an accident and the real sad part is as the car was spinning out people were moving towards the road to see what was happening, even after the police told them to move back. No where in the press does that fact get brought up. Only trashing the driver. Heck the weather people aren't even correct anymore. Think I will just quit watching all together.

It is very sad and I am keeping all those involved in my prayers.

Fuzion
06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Found this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxtQ2tMTf4