PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Read

Fuzion
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
So i was flipping through the new FPTs the one with JLPs truck on the cover.

Awesome truck, amazing actually! Quite surprised to see the stock dash and console.

But what caught me was an article called Under Surveillance (pg 32). This guy has a built block, stage 3 heads and cams. Stage 4 ported Eaton spinning at 15lbs of boost and he put down 592rwhp and 665 rwtq.
Those numbers just sound insane! JJ and ******** did most the work, JLP motor though. Total Engine Airflow Heads and Comp Cams.

I know i don't have heads and cams, and possibly spinning less boost (i have no gauge) but i only put down 457rwhp and like 523rwtq or something.
Prior to the Whipple i had a ported Eaton there. Reading this makes me wonder if i'd of just put heads and cams back on with my ported Eaton could i too have these numbers w/o having to buy a Whipple?

Page 77 offers a lil write up about Patriot Heads and Comp Cams on a stock block, netted a gain of 66hp and 43tq at the wheels. Oh.... at 13lbs w/ an Eaton i assume. For new dyno numbers of 424 and 483.

BC Lightning
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
JJ has Ported Eatons running in the 10's :cool:

I just spoke with him about 20min ago about his stage 4 ported heads and port matching my lower intake

So i was flipping through the new FPTs the one with JLPs truck on the cover.

Awesome truck, amazing actually! Quite surprised to see the stock dash and console.

But what caught me was an article called Under Surveillance (pg 32). This guy has a built block, stage 3 heads and cams. Stage 4 ported Eaton spinning at 15lbs of boost and he put down 592rwhp and 665 rwtq.
Those numbers just sound insane! JJ and ******** did most the work, JLP motor though. Total Engine Airflow Heads and Comp Cams.

I know i don't have heads and cams, and possibly spinning less boost (i have no gauge) but i only put down 457rwhp and like 523rwtq or something.
Prior to the Whipple i had a ported Eaton there. Reading this makes me wonder if i'd of just put heads and cams back on with my ported Eaton could i too have these numbers w/o having to buy a Whipple?

Page 77 offers a lil write up about Patriot Heads and Comp Cams on a stock block, netted a gain of 66hp and 43tq at the wheels. Oh.... at 13lbs w/ an Eaton i assume. For new dyno numbers of 424 and 483.

tiffo60
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
the heads that are on that truck are supposed to be the best heads for our motors, excluding going to a four valve head

Fuzion
06-21-2007, 12:04 PM
the heads that are on that truck are supposed to be the best heads for our motors, excluding going to a four valve head

Really? i just found there website and surprised by the pricing then.

Stage 2
CNC Port 4.6/5.4 to Stage 2
Hot Tank and Disassembly
Blend Valve Job
Competition Multi-Angle Valve Job
Mill heads to Customer Specs
Flow Intake and Exhaust Ports
Heads Cleaned, Set Spring Pressure, Installed Height, and Coil Bind
1.781 45.21mm ModMax Intake Valves
1.452 36.8mm ModMax Exhaust Valves
Competition Cams 4.6 2V SOHC Valve Springs
New Ford Viton Seals
TEA Stage 2 4.6
$1,750.00

Stage 3
CNC Port 4.6/5.4 to Stage 3
Hot Tank and Disassembly
Remove and Reinstall Seats
Blend Valve Job
New 1.525x.325x1.890 Hi-Chrome Valve Seats
Competition Multi-Angle Valve Job
Mill heads to Customer Specs
Flow Intake and Exhaust Ports
Heads Cleaned, Set Spring Pressure, Installed Height, and Coil Bind
46.83mm/4.630 (117.5mm)/7mm Manley Intake Valves
1.452 36.8mm Exhaust Valves
Competition Cams 4.6 2V SOHC Valve Springs
New Ford Viton Seals
New Bronze intake and exhaust guides
Requires flycut pistons
TEA Stage 3 4.6
$1,999.00

Terry and I have been talking about replacing the heads and we have talked about JDM and Patriot. These have never been brought up but for the price i am going to email Terry right now about them.

tiffo60
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
go with these heads, they have had nothing but good things said about them

L8 APEX
06-21-2007, 12:37 PM
We got a bad set of LS6 4 years ago we called them the TEAbag heads, lol. We lost power with them but they were just learning ther LS6 head at that time. But I am sure everyones heads are better than stock. Note the stage3 requires fly cutting the pistons. Comp Cam valve springs suck, I only use Manley springs. You really have to see a head ot see how good it is. Whenever I get a new head in we take it over to Wells and break it down for inspection. Some use cheesy plug inserts or none at all. Some machine down the plug thread boss so it can't handle any heat or detonation etc..

GoldLS1
06-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Comp Cam Valve springs suck?? Is this just for the Ls?? I hate to keep bringing these up, but I know several LSx cars running them with ZERO problems on 630-640+ lift cams...

L8 APEX
06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
There is a WORLD of difference between a pushrod engine and an overhead cam engine. I ran them on most of my LS1's they worked fine. Although I did have a few bad batches of the early 918's if you remember they revised them and the good ones had the blue stipe on them. We ran the 941's on the blown motors for more spring pressure. Their mod motor springs are designed for NA motors. When you throw boost on them they hold open. Magnum Powers did a technical write up on it. Fords are overhead valve motors and run a lot lower spring pressure than pushrod motors like LSx's do. The LSx's may need more spring as well if you put 15-20psi on them... What's good for the LSx is not necessarily good for the Mod motor:tu:
Here's some knowledge for ya in case you'd like to see it for yourself.
http://www.magnumpowers.com/light_spring.php
If you are wondering yes we have checked all known springs on a valve spring dyno and the stockers are about 80 closed, and Comps were about 90 closed, the Patriots were the same. Manley is the only stout spring I have seen.

GoldLS1
06-21-2007, 11:05 PM
There is a WORLD of difference between a pushrod engine and an overhead cam engine. I ran them on most of my LS1's they worked fine. Although I did have a few bad batches of the early 918's if you remember they revised them and the good ones had the blue stipe on them. We ran the 941's on the blown motors for more spring pressure. Their mod motor springs are designed for NA motors. When you throw boost on them they hold open. Magnum Powers did a technical write up on it. Fords are overhead valve motors and run a lot lower spring pressure than pushrod motors like LSx's do. The LSx's may need more spring as well if you put 15-20psi on them... What's good for the LSx is not necessarily good for the Mod motor:tu:
Here's some knowledge for ya in case you'd like to see it for yourself.
http://www.magnumpowers.com/light_spring.php
If you are wondering yes we have checked all known springs on a valve spring dyno and the stockers are about 80 closed, and Comps were about 90 closed, the Patriots were the same. Manley is the only stout spring I have seen.

Hummm... Im begining to see these mod motors are something else. I was just wondering if you were calling comp junk or just their L springs.

I would have believed ya... havent steered me wrong yet. However it was a very interesting read.

Let me ask this question now. 17hp at 15psi and 30 at 18psi?? Is this really accurate/expected improvements?

L8 APEX
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Weak springs rob power and you never know it unless you live on a dyno or build enough of them. We picked up 20-30hp on two motors we upgraded to Manleys and they just drove different in general. They wrapped up a lot more crisp. We had guys bring in old classic muscle cars with big blocks at the shop. They picked up a LOT of drivability and power with new valve springs. There is not much room for lift on the mod heads. Almost everyone has settled at 550 lift max. Otherwise you hit coil bind real quick. we broke Comps and Rev's with LSx cams over 610 or whatever the first LG X2, X3 cams were. Lou was selling the Rev's with them I think they revised their springs as well. Now that Isky makes the gold series for them there is little reason to run anything else. Do you know what series they are running 640 lift on? Are they machining the head for coil room? I forget what the coil bind was on the LSx heads, I didn't think they would take much over 600 without machining the spring seats. RPM and heat are another big factor in spring life. The Outlaw dirt engines making 850hp in sprint cars have oil sprayers on the valve springs to keep them from melting. 8500rpm at 680 lift makes the springs a little warm.

Hmm, thinking back we had to fly cut the pistons for any lift over 610, how are they running 640 without hitting the pistons? I also read up where you cannot machine the spring seat any deeper only wider from 1.30 to 1.65" dia.

L8 APEX
06-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Here is the valve spring chart. You have to do some machining to fit the springs over 600 lift. I bet you have to fly cut pistons as well.

GoldLS1
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
On the intake side you can go BIG .649 its the exhaust side thats stuck in the .62x range. Once you go over that yep fly cutting the pistons is what you have to do. It was Lous X2 that did in the springs. The first of all the LS1s spring seemed to be junk (when the 918s came out, when the dual/double springs came out the exact same prob again).

No machining necessary to fit springs over 600 lift. I had springs good to .650 and a cam w/ 238/244 608/612 on a 110lsa :D. No flycutting required, quick easy install.