PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Maintanence reminder

L8 APEX
06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Time flys by as we all know. Make sure your weapons are cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. Regular is up to you but I'd do monthly if it is carried and quarterly/semi annually if they are stored. Oil evaporates and we have had a ton of humidity lately. Another thing most forget is the age of their ammo. It is a good policy to change out defense ammo yearly. Even if it still fires it could suffer energy losses. Be careful not to chamber and un-chamber the same round(s)! I forget the technical term for it but simply put the feeding and extracting of the same round puts marks and scars on the case, rim, and nose of the bullet. This can cause a feed failure also known as a jamb or put you in a bad bad situation. Feel free to add any other good technical tips.

slick-svt
06-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Rounds that are not used every six months are practice rounds, I always keep everything oiled regularly but not over oiled. Every one should keep'em up to snuff:icon_exclaim:

L8 APEX
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Especially with the auto's they require more freaquent maint to operate properly. I heard a story about one guy that would sweat a lot and the sweat ran into his pistol and froze up the trigger spring with rust. It would only fire once and lock up!:eek2:

wesman
06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Especially with the auto's they require more freaquent maint to operate properly. I heard a story about one guy that would sweat a lot and the sweat ran into his pistol and froze up the trigger spring with rust. It would only fire once and lock up!:eek2:

Damn...better hope that one counted!!!:eek:

--wes

dboat
06-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Thats another reason why I carry a revolver.. lower maintenance and fewer ways to mess up and lockup on you..

Dana

Wht95Lightning
06-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I keep my weaponry well oiled. If you see a guy at the range with a pile of moto-cross tear-aways at his feet, that's probably me.

L8 APEX
06-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Why the tear aways:icon_eek: You see the new PM45:cool:

Wht95Lightning
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Why the tear aways:icon_eek: You see the new PM45:cool:

Because I haven't figured out how to mount one of those NASCAR motorized jobs that automatically rolls over to clean plastic when it gets covered with oil to my safety glasses. :burnout:

PM45? Is that a Kahr?

L8 APEX
06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah it is a pricey bugger. I have my eye on the ultimate road rage pistol which is even more expensive:evil

Silver_2000
06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
$900 for a small frame 45 that has trouble loading the first round from the clip ??

L8 APEX
06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
It's all is how you use it. If you are not positive in your actions with Kahrs they will not work well for you. Folks with feed failures are softly letting the slide closed. At least that has been my experience with them. But it is pricey. Street prices are normally 150-200 less than MSRP.