PDA

View Full Version : The good old TALON's

L8 APEX
06-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Black Talons that is. The bullet that was banned out of fear and ignorance. How dare a bullet injure people:hammer:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/501568.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/348rq1g.jpg

gbgary
06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
daaaaang!!

heard of them but never seen one expanded. need some more?

slick-svt
06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Any .45's in there????

03stx
06-24-2007, 03:47 PM
wow I need a box of those for my .45!!!!

TXLIGHTNING
06-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I still have two boxes for my 9mm :tu:.

dboat
06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
How about educating the uninformed on this one?

TXLIGHTNING
06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
How about educating the uninformed on this one? The bullet is designed to lodge itself into the person you shoot doing massive damage ( look at the pic ) and is very hard to remove, so they outlawed them saying that it was made to specifically kill people :rolleyes:.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/501568.jpg

L8 APEX
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
It's in the WiKi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon
It was intended to have a buzz saw effect and more stopping energy in pistol calibers. So Winchester pulled it and released the Winchester Ranger SXT which was almost a direct copy of the Talon. But since it had a friendlier name so everyone left it alone. Since then bonded jacket technology has surpassed the performance of the Talon and other old traditional bullets. The biggest failure in ammo is when the copper jacket seperates from the lead core. The unprotected lead quickly deforms, splatters and losses its energy. So now the jackets are electrically bonded to the lead cores. So they stay together and have better performance through barriers such as windshield glass and car doors. Or something like that..

dboat
06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
So, can I get this for my 9mm? also, when I get my Taurus 44/410 do they make this in a .44 too? but will probably run more .410 than .44 in that revolver..

btw, I havent received the Taurus yet.. but anyone know anything about it other than what Taurus has put out? I have yet to read any kind of a review on it but I think its what I want for the house..

Dana

TXLIGHTNING
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
So, can I get this for my 9mm? also, when I get my Taurus 44/410 do they make this in a .44 too? but will probably run more .410 than .44 in that revolver..

btw, I havent received the Taurus yet.. but anyone know anything about it other than what Taurus has put out? I have yet to read any kind of a review on it but I think its what I want for the house..

Dana They don't make the Black Talons anymore :banned. But like Terry said you can get the Winchester Ranger SXT, its practically the same bullet. I know they make them in a 9mm, I'm not sure about the 44cal.

dboat
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
They don't make the Black Talons anymore :banned. But like Terry said you can get the Winchester Ranger SXT, its practically the same bullet. I know they make them in a 9mm, I'm not sure about the 44cal.

Thanks,
Have you heard anything about this gun I am purchasing?
Dana

TXLIGHTNING
06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks,
Have you heard anything about this gun I am purchasing?
Dana Yes I have, pretty much everything I have heard is good. Some people say its their favorite handgun to shoot, and packs the punch they desire. You should be happy with it :tu:. Did you get the black or the bling bling?

L8 APEX
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Why would anyone buy one of those:confused:. My favorite bullet is the Speer Gold Dot +P whatever 124gr+p for 9mm.

TXLIGHTNING
06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Why would anyone buy one of those:confused:. My favorite bullet is the Speer Gold Dot +P whatever 124gr+p for 9mm. :tu: nice choice.
9mm compact handguns
The 147 grain Gold Dot demonstrated very good expansion, and we were impressed with its expanded diameter after passing though four layers of 16 ounce denim. We suspect the reason why the 147 grain Gold Dot expanded so well after penetrating the denim cloth is because it has a deeper hollow cavity than the 124 grain +P bullet. Unfortunately when testing the 147 grain cartridge we didn't record the penetration depth of the calibration BB in our notes. Regretfully, we are unable to provide anything other than an approximate penetration depth. But the expansion results can be considered valid.
For those of you who just cannot bring yourself to use a 147 grain bullet, the 124 grain +P Gold Dot would also be a good choice for personal defense. However this particular cartridge is difficult to locate. It is packaged in 50 round boxes for law enforcement sales, but it is not restricted by Speer. If you don't want to go through all the trouble to obtain Speer's 124 grain +P Gold Dot, another good choice for compact 9mm handguns is Remington's 124 grain Golden Saber +P.

We also tested Federal’s new 9mm 135 grain Personal Defense HydraShok JHP cartridge. In bare gelatin this bullet demonstrated inadequate penetration performance when fired out of a compact handgun. In denim covered gelatin we obtained one good hit out of three test shots, and this doesn’t provide enough data for a valid determination of its performance. But given its inadequate performance in bare gelatin, we decided against any further testing.

We’ve contacted Federal several times in attempt to obtain gelatin performance data for their Personal Defense line of ammunition (both handgun and shotgun). Federal has stonewalled us during our attempts to obtain this information via telephone request, and they have not responded to our written requests. As a result, we advise you to steer clear of Federal’s Personal Defense ammunition until there is valid performance data from a reputable source.
We have no qualms about offering the following general personal defense recommendations for Speer’s Gold Dot handgun ammunition:

9mm
If your handgun has a barrel length of 4 inches or longer, consider either the standard 124 grain Gold Dot JHP or the 147 grain Gold Dot JHP.

If your handgun has a barrel length less than 4 inches, consider the 147 grain Gold Dot JHP or the 124 grain +P JHP.

dboat
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes I have, pretty much everything I have heard is good. Some people say its their favorite handgun to shoot, and packs the punch they desire. You should be happy with it :tu:. Did you get the black or the bling bling?

the stainless.. er bling bling.

dboat
06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Why would anyone buy one of those:confused:. My favorite bullet is the Speer Gold Dot +P whatever 124gr+p for 9mm.

The Taurus? because it will shoot a .410 with a quick spread at a very short distance.. its more for the wife than me.. I want to put something in her hands that doesnt require as much accuracy to hit the target. The impression I get is that this gun was specifically designed for this purpose.

Dana

TXLIGHTNING
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
the stainless.. er bling bling. Nice :tu:.

The Taurus? because it will shoot a .410 with a quick spread at a very short distance.. its more for the wife than me.. I want to put something in her hands that doesnt require as much accuracy to hit the target. The impression I get is that this gun was specifically designed for this purpose.

Dana I believe he was talking about the bullets, Winchester Ranger SXT. :beer: