PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Removal

Fuzion
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I am going to try and remove the Whipple tonight. Do ya'll have any tips for me?

Also, Terry what plugs are we running? Going to check and change all the plugs.

Did find one of my problems though, a nasty noise that started Wednesday evening. Got to jack the truck up yesterday and there is about a 1 inch square hole in the piping of the exhaust where a bracket/hanger used to be. Ooops.

L8 APEX
07-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Go to Sears and buy a short polished 10mm wrench. Don't forget all the vac lines, 2 behind the blower and get the gasket lined up correctly. NGK TR6. Or I'll do it for a bill.

Fuzion
07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Very nice offer, if only i had a bill to lay down.

Bird
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I did mine yesterday - 10 minutes to take it off, 30 minutes for the plugs, another 30 minutes for general messing around and 20 minutes to put it back on.

It's easier for me because I can lean all the way over into the engine compartment (helps being 6'6").

Terry's recomendations are right on the money - can't do it without the short 10mm and be sure to hook up those 2 back hoses before you slide everything back in place, otherwise, you'll be cussing yourself.

Bird

Fuzion
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
K. Thanks. I've never removed it, nor watched it being removed. By looking at it yesterday it seemed fairly simple.

Highlander540
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Not sure what gaskets they are talking about. I was told to use RTV. If yours was fitted using that then it might be kind of hard to lift off. A power bar under the body of the blower behind the snout will ease the removal.

Fuzion
07-06-2007, 09:33 PM
It is done and completed with a few phone call breaks for Terry and some other breaks took us a total of 2 hours. Probably only an hour and 30 mins of actual work though.

Thanks guys!

jeff56
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
with a few phone call breaks for Terry

Thanks guys!

Terry likes Crown Royal....

ThunderBolt
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
How short of a 10mm wrench are we talking? Standard side or is there a shorty version available?

Ron.

Fuzion
07-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I just used the smallest one we could find in the garage. We didn't buy anything special. Had a lil trouble near the intake area but we got it.

BC Lightning
07-10-2007, 06:10 PM
How short of a 10mm wrench are we talking? Standard side or is there a shorty version available?

Ron.

I had one I donated to the North Texas Safe House that was the size of my little finger

ThunderBolt
07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Cool deal. I'll swing by Sears this morning. I've been meaning to change my plugs on my own for a change. I figure now is a good of time as any. I assume the blower gasket is reusable? Highlander's post threw me off.

Ron.

ThunderBolt
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Done deal! The stubby 10mm made the removal of the whipple much easier. Don't ask me how long it took me to do the job. Lets just say I plan to shave 2-3 hours off the next plug change.:icon_lol:

Steve, thanks for taking the time to call me. I appreciate the tips.:tu:

slick-svt
07-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Done deal! The stubby 10mm made the removal of the whipple much easier. Don't ask me how long it took me to do the job. Lets just say I plan to shave 2-3 hours off the next plug change.:icon_lol:

Steve, thanks for taking the time to call me. I appreciate the tips.:tu:
I did the plug change in about 2 hours, didn't know this but next time I'll do the drivers side first, the pass. side is pretty easy.