PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal??? Rough or Low Idle...

ZeusSVT
07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I am still sorta new to the Forum and had my truck for about 2 months now. It's a 2004, has a few mods on it, JLP Forced Air Induction, Upgraded Pulleys, Diablo Tuning and exhaust. It has been doing something the last few days that it wasn't doing at first nor since I got it. Over the weekend I started to notice that when I start to slow down or come to a stop the truck's idle drops down really low like it almost wants to die. It seems to idle just fine when sitting in park but also when I put it in drive or reverse the idle also drops really low to down around 400 rpm's or so. It has never shut off or anything but it just seems weird that it would do this. Also every now and then I hear just a little of a pop or really small backfire like sound when it is idleing. Any suggestions as to what to take a look at or anything.

Thanks,
The New Guy (Michael)

Here's a couple of pics of the truck as well since I haven't posted any since joining the site. :tu:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/2004%20Ford%20Lightning/DSC05889Large.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/2004%20Ford%20Lightning/DSC05881Large.jpg

tiffo60
07-23-2007, 09:21 AM
i would check for vacuum leaks, nice truck:tu:

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Ditto- Hve you recently done any detailing or cleaning under the hood? You may have pulled a vacuum line loose. Look for the one coming out of the top of the EGR and see if it has melted in half against the EGR tube.

Silver_2000
07-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Sorry but we already have our full complement of Silver 2004 trucks with Chrome Stock rims ... Your membership is rejected and you will be banned
:banned
Sorry ... :evil:rll:

L8 APEX
07-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I would check or clean the idle air control motor. I have seen these mess up with as little as 40K miles.

ZeusSVT
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM

OK, went at lunch time and checked out the engine visually with a buddy of mine. I used the Diablo to check codes and fuel trim both. No codes but the Short Term Fuel Trim was at 13%. Long Term was at 0%. I didn't run the truck and get real time measurements but will do it after work today and see what it is. So I suppose a vacuum leak is probably the case with the short term up that high. Any suggestions??

The truck only has 29,000 miles on it so hope that it's not was Terry is talking about.

Doug, the color silver is a favorite of mine too. I also have another F-150 as well that is a custom silver. No chrome rims on it though. I suppose I could swap them around......:santa

Here's a pic of the other one.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/2001%20F-150/DSC05923Large.jpg

Thanks,
Michael.

tiffo60
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
put a lowering kit on the ext cab and it would look sweet:D

Ohmsby
07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
put a lowering kit on the ext cab and it would look sweet:D no just raise the back up real high... those rims would look good on the L:icon_mrgreen:

FRDRCING
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I would check or clean the idle air control motor. I have seen these mess up with as little as 40K miles.

Mine did this very thing, It would start then die right away. Would have to keep feeding it throttle to stay running. I cleaned it out and the truck ideled fine ever since then.

ZeusSVT
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Mine hasn't died on me yet at all. I hope that is doesn't. I went over the truck in the daylight today while I was off of work and found nothing that I could see that was obvious, melted or pulled loose. I did use the scan tool and read the reading while it was idle and when I would let it rev up for about a minute. With it at idle the Short Term Fuel Trim was up around 20% and fluctuated, which I would guess would be making it run "lean" if I am not mistaking. With the idle rev'd up to around 1500 to 2000 RPM's it would go back down under 10% and stay there. Would this mean for sure that it is a vacuum leak or could it be something else. Might have to take it some where to get it checked out I suppose.

Any suggestions? :icon_idea:

Thanks, Michael.

99WhiteBeast
07-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Any suggestions? :icon_idea:

Thanks, Michael.

Did you try cleaning or blowing out the IAC motor like suggested? It is on the left side of the upper intake (facing the firewall) with a electrical connector going to it. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it to the intake.

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
No not yet, gonna see this afternoon if I can figure out how the heck to get it off and if its the right thing that I take off. A buddy from work is gonna come over at 5:00 and see if he can't figure it out. Kinda scared though, he only works on BMW's all the time. lol. We'll have to see how it goes. If not, any suggestions on a good place to take it to get it looked at??

tiffo60
07-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Im sure Terry(L8 apex) would come out for the right price

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Where is his shop at? Might could go to him if the hours are right for when he is open. Definitely wanna get it taken care of though. Not really hurting the performance "yet" but it's definitely annoying.

Thanks for the advice.

tiffo60
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
He travels now and does house calls, he's worth every penny:tu:

shoot him a pm

my2002lightning
07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Michael,

You wouldn't by chance live off of Preston and Wade Blvd. in Frisco?

Welcome to TALON, btw and good luck with the fix.

Ronald

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
In that vicinity, actually on Warren and Preston. But right there around that area alot.

TXLIGHTNING
07-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Im sure Terry(L8 apex) would come out for the right price Whatever you say man, I have been trying to get work done for over 3 months, and would be more than happy to pay whatever to get it done. I never hear back from him :confused:. That's why I haven't been on the site lately, been looking for someone that can get it done. Nothing against Terry, hes a great guy. And I know he has a lot on his plate, but I need WORK DONE NOW :icon_mrgreen:

L8 APEX
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Good luck finding someone that will drive to Longview to work on your truck. My last three weeks have been dedicated to getting ready for Colorado. I may drive anywhere in the Metroplex for 100 bucks but not to Longview for 100 bucks, silly rabbit. I was actually planning on heading out there but I think you have convinced me otherwise:tu:.
Just yesterday I got up at 5:30 and drove to Ft Hood and worked all day and drove back. Then drove up to Little Elm to pick up a DS for a customer. Hassled around with meeting him, finally met him in Carrolton at 11pm and got in bed about 12:30. Guess how much I made on that 80 mile 5 hour trip..... $25 dollars wee!

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Good luck finding someone that will drive to Longview to work on your truck. My last three weeks have been dedicated to getting ready for Colorado. I may drive anywhere in the Metroplex for 100 bucks but not to Longview for 100 bucks, silly rabbit. I was actually planning on heading out there but I think you have convinced me otherwise:tu:.
Just yesterday I got up at 5:30 and drove to Ft Hood and worked all day and drove back. Then drove up to Little Elm to pick up a DS for a customer. Hassled around with meeting him, finally met him in Carrolton at 11pm and got in bed about 12:30. Guess how much I made on that 80 mile 5 hour trip..... $25 dollars wee!

Might have to take you up on that deal some time or I can come to you either one. Which ever is convenient for you. Really wanna get it looked at some time soon. It's a little annoying having it act the way that it is. With the symptoms that I listed on here and the Short Term Fuel Trim being around 20% or more at idle, do you think it could possibly be that idle air control motor? I had a buddy come look at it tonight but to no avail he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either. :tex

L8 APEX
07-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Check the IAC counts they should be around 40 or turn the A/C on and off see how it affects it. Check and clean the damn valve like we told you to days ago! Check the PCV lines under the intake boot and to the valve covers look for oily dusty places. Clean gunk out of the throttle body etc..

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Check the IAC counts they should be around 40 or turn the A/C on and off see how it affects it. Check and clean the damn valve like we told you to days ago! Check the PCV lines under the intake boot and to the valve covers look for oily dusty places. Clean gunk out of the throttle body etc..

That was the problem, I couldn't figure out where the valve was at. So I had a friend from work come over to try and figure out what it was we needed to take off this evening but he is a BMW guru and couldn't do **** with an american made truck. I guess I can find a place around here to take it to that can tell me what it is I need to clean out or either that do it for me.

ZeusSVT
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Also, one of the things that he had me do tonight was the A/C thing. When you turn the A/C on it does effect it and then when you turn it off the idle jumps up a little high for a second and then goes back to what it is doing with the rough idle.

PUMP
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
[quote=dmsheid;129958]That was the problem, I couldn't figure out where the valve was at. So I had a friend from/quote]
Maybe a picture will help:twitch:

ZeusSVT
07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Bob, yeah we were just looking at a parts manual this morning here at work and figured out what it was. If it had been a snake yesterday while I was looking for it, I would have been screwed. :hammer:

Gonna take it off this evening and clean it out and see what happens.

tiffo60
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks Bob, yeah we were just looking at a parts manual this morning here at work and figured out what it was. If it had been a snake yesterday while I was looking for it, I would have been screwed. :hammer:

Gonna take it off this evening and clean it out and see what happens.

hose it out with carb or break cleaner:tu:

TXLIGHTNING
07-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Just yesterday I got up at 5:30 and drove to Ft Hood and worked all day and drove back. Then drove up to Little Elm to pick up a DS for a customer. Hassled around with meeting him, finally met him in Carrolton at 11pm and got in bed about 12:30. Guess how much I made on that 80 mile 5 hour trip..... $25 dollars wee! OK, $100 bucks to drive down here, $250 labor for the work and $30 in materials. That's $350 in profit. Let me know what it will take to get you down here Terry. The $100 bucks to come out was the starting bid, shoot me another $. I'm really not that far, 2miles off of I-20, 10 miles past Tyler. I live between Tyler & Longview, but closer to Tyler.

Mark #2
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
IAC valve is 2 screws and I use a little WD40 after the carb cleaner, leaves a lubricant in there. This takes a maximum of 15 min.
This is about as difficult as changing your windsheild wipers

dboat
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
IAC valve is 2 screws and I use a little WD40 after the carb cleaner, leaves a lubricant in there. This takes a maximum of 15 min.
This is about as difficult as changing your windsheild wipers

+1 even I did it by myself.. and that should say it all. :evil

Dana

ZeusSVT
07-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Ha Ha, thanks for the encouragement guys. Yeah gonna try and get it done either tonight or tomorrow and see how it runs after that. Will let you know how it goes soon as I get it done. :bows